Those who have anti-science views, know the least but think they know the most

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

billvon,
    Have you done any reading on the subject of human bacterial immunology? Facinating!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Correct. Nor are there any guarantees that a vaccine won't kill you. But I bet you still receive them.
    So you are opposed to sanitation, vaccines, antibiotics and surgery?
    Evolution is how we were created. It should not determine how we live.
    You are a supporter of eugenics, then - creating a sort of 'master race' of genetically superior humans.
    So you are opposed to cardiac bypass surgery?
    High. Thus we should be careful when treating MRSA and VRE, and we should develop new antibiotics.
    We've had much worse accidents. Take Chernobyl. 60 provably killed by radiation. 4000 estimated in the area due to higher incidence of cancer. (Note that there is no direct evidence of this; it's the result of an epidemiological analysis.)

That's bad. But that's due to the worst possible disaster. Compare that to the 800,000 people killed by coal pollution throughout the world every year. So even if we had one Chernobyl per year (which we don't have), we'd have 200X fewer deaths a year due to nuclear power vs coal power. Switching every coal plant to nuclear would save hundreds of thousands worldwide every year.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am seriously curious how a supposedly learned medical professional such as yourself, can possibly arrive at the conclusion that you have arrived at regarding your response to my post . ( see above quotes)
    • What do you mean by a belief in natural evolution being equated with (artificial) eugenics?
    • Do you think your post is a good example of those trained in the health industry?

I shouldn't have to post the following explainer but I will any how....( for those so called "ignoramus's" that are the subject of this thread)

If science was more observant and respectful of natural evolutionary processes and principles they might actually generate more sustainable outcomes..

After all, is that not what natural evolution is all about.... Sustainability...

For example:
    A Bacteria's immunology is evolving faster than a human's immunology.... why?
    Why do we not know?
    • Is it because we seek to cheat the human evolutionary process giving the bacteria an environment to naturally evolve faster?
    • Would it not be far better to work with the evolutionary processes and not cheat the evolutionary processes to achieve a more sustainable result?
    another:
    There is an opioid crisis currently in play .
    Opinion:
    Typically people when confronted with severe anxiety suffer sever pain in the central chest region, under the ribs and experience breathing problems ( No. I am not going to use the medical terminology).

So they decide to take a strong pain killer (opioid based) that deals with the pain and helps the patient regulate his breathing ( slows it down) and get on with their day (nights are worse) and fail to deal with the root cause of the anxiety. So they have skipped the evolution bit and decided to use Opioids to cheat it. Same situation with Diazapam (valium -benzodiazepines ) but considerably worse.
    As you know opioids are highly addictive and the concluding social result is to be expected.
    Typically prescribed by doctors in good faith...end result... disaster.

The painkillers should only be used as a temporary solution to help facilitate an emotional "evolution" that the patient must go through to achieve a sustainable outcome.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

currently there is massive ground being broken in ADHD and children
    this is not the precise article but some supporting info to give you an idea

the short story is special diet with vitamins & minerls can make serious in-roads to ADHD in children and probably has good results in adults
    https://www.thescienceofpsychotherapy.com/oligomeric-proanthocyanidins-for-the-treatment-of-adhd/

imagine if 30% of all violent behaviour is due to ADHD and preventing 75% of that 30% could be as easy as introducing vitamin & mineral supplements to children.

unfortunately many alt-right people and groups wish to make and keep children violent.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Do you remember, the reporting of this incident as it unfolded?
    The mass hysteria led to countless issues alone including unrelated abortions, massive agriculture loss and so on...
    Mass hysteria is quite a serious outcome of any nuclear disaster and not be be down played as incidental. Psycho-somatic induced illnesses are greatly underestimated and currently lacking research as a valid and serious medical condition.
    I reviewed the current wiki on the disaster and doubt very much it's veracity. Political censorship, information manipulation, hysterics, all play a significant role in the recording of the history of this event.
    I doubt very much is the truth of this incident will ever be revealed.
    But what we do know is that they just built a new sarcophagus to protect the environment from a continuing nuclear reaction that they can't stop.

The wisdom of "If you can't stop it, don't start it" being completely ignored and is like getting into a high speed car driving to 200KPH with out any ability to slow down or brakes fitted.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So, when people made things burn (aka fire) it was a bad thing and brought about the apocalypse sooner?

Natural selection couldn't do what civilization can.

10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

hindu & muslim stampedes killing women & children happen very often

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

natural selection would not have created AGW or nuclear weapons proliferation, that may very well end that civilization.
    The indigenous tribes in Australia, have used fire in sustainable ways for 40,000+ years. They know how to work with evolution and not against it...
    and we think they are ignoramuses..... lol
    Perhaps it is our arrogance that prevents us from learning what we need to learn from those 'ignoramuses"?

12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

naturalness ?

all things are star stuff

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

sustainable, symbiotic relationships with nature...
    so you can enjoy your cafe in the morning and all the luxury of modern life with out ultimately committing collective suicide...

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

:EDITED POST:

So, your beef is with politics, is that it?

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

deleted

16. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

You posted while I was typing, see above.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

omg! Don't get me started...lol

No... yes... uhm every scientist has a "political" agenda... he/ she/them is human after all...

reminds me of a funny story...
    I was chatting away with Cortana, the virtual assistant on my mobile, the other day and for fun, I asked her to connect me with Pine Gap.
    Cortana's response was this insane laugh....as if to suggest that I was already connected to Pine Gap.

I am not at all sure why you reminded me of that one.... lol

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

using conflated language:

My beef is with an unwise science enabling a human apocalypse.

19. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Quantum Quack likes this.
  20. billvon Valued Senior Member

"Mass hysteria" is preferable to 800,000 deaths. Even if it means you lose some crops.
    I am all for more spending on mental health, to help people who have psychosomatic illnesses and hysteria.
    The nuclear reaction ended decades ago. They built that structure to prevent leaching
    More like going 600kph in an airplane that literally cannot stop in the air without stalling and crashing. But it's the safest way to travel. Strange eh?

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

"A more wise scientific world that would guide human evolution" is pretty much the definition of eugenics.
    Sure. And we are getting better all the time. Note new WHO guidelines over antibiotic usage in both humans and animals.
    ?? No, not at all. Evolution often drives organisms to explode in population and destroy whole ecosystems. Evolution drives survival of a species - NOT survival of an ecosystem.

"Immunology" is a science. I think you meant "bacterial antibiotic resistance is evolving faster than we can make new antibiotics." This is because we are spending less on antibiotic development (not very profitable) and because life evolves.
    ?? We do know.
    Right. People misuse drugs all the time. Going by your approach, we should allow these people to take fatal overdoses, thus letting evolution solve the problem and improve the gene pool. I prefer a more humane approach, even if it means there are more living addicts.

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

You really could benefit by looking up the definition of eugenics, then perhaps re-address the issue ...in the context of our discussion.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Ok.. so I can conclude that you are unaware of a bacterias auto immune system and how that system develops resistance to attacks like any good naturally evolving bug should and would. It's a pity that humans are not as good at it as our pervasive bugs are.