Threatening behavior and possible hack

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Quantum Quack, Mar 13, 2020.

?

Is Quantum Quack a troll

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stupid question

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Recently I reported a poster for making threats of stalking and harm and retrieved this anonymous notification in the alerts drop down.

Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Pressure Harvesting - from ocean depths' - Perhaps if you spent less time trolling and flaming other posters on this site and following the same pattern of behavior, people might be less inclined to respond to you in such a negative manner. There is nothing threatening in his responses to you. All that is on display is someone who is fed up with your behavior. Something about living in a glass house and not lobbing stones applies here. You trolled and flamed that thread for pages and pages.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sample post by the member concerned:

I am not like you. I take into account physics and if you wish to argue I suggest you engage the physics...but know this... I am not someone to stir up..until you apologise to me and those in that swipe you will get nothing other than a casual destruction such that finally you will leave this place with your tail between your legs with your credibility destroyed..now you don't want that do you...fall down crawl forward and convince me I should accept your apology.
    ====
    I have given you more time than you deserve yet you insist upon presenting as a mere target to attack.
    What point do you contend that I am wrong about...Or rather address the physics and dig your grave.
    ====
    You owe me and those included in your swipe an apology ... Without it we will be focused on that target you have drawn on your back.
    For me to recover the high respect I held for you you must crawl on your knees begging for forgiveness and offering a long and sincere apology.
    ====

So now can we assume threats of stalking and harm to another member by a member are considered ok. That victim blaming is the new norm.

Or is the anonymous alert notification a trolling hack pretending to be site moderation designed to flame me into action due to the obvious injustice offered.
    This hack is quite possible as the site went down due to data base issues briefly for a time shortly after the altercation I had with a member in that thread.

Has any one else received anonymous alerts as response to reporting a post?

and all this while attempting to have an intelligent conversation with members who actually know what they are discussing.

btw the thread in question has provided great insight to me and others in the field of fluid mechanics. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Diddums.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

??

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It is easy to call someone a troll if they legitimately challenge your POV and you don't like it and feel insulted.
    It is easy to call someone a troll simply because you can not make them or force then to agree with you.
    It is easy to use the label troll to avoid personal responsibility for your own esteem issues and inadequacy.

Genuine trolling is bad news but labeling people as trolls for no reason other than an ad Hom is much worse and considerably more prevalent and destructive.

After 17 years membership and more than 21800 posts and hundreds if not thousands of thread starts, do you seriously believe I am a troll?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  8. billvon Valued Senior Member

Surely you are not arguing "I post a lot of stuff on the Internet" is a defense against trolling? There are thousands of professional trolls out there - and even more who make trolling a big part of their life because it floats their boat.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

No I am not.
    I am saying that after 17 years I have an investment in this site and one I would seek to protect, not degrade, but lift.
    I am surely controversial and make posts that may lead to greater insights. I am not here to be popular. I am here to gain some real value and so far it has been worth while for me and hopefully others.
    I have seen member organized trolling come and go. ( it isn't hard to see when it happens.)
    I have seen site management corrupted and cleansed.
    Robotic trolls are numerous but fortunately easy to note.

This anonymous drop down mentioned in the OP is a classic troll hack IMO and something site management needs to be made aware of before the membership of this once great and properly moderated discussion forum finally succumbs to the competition from social media and other forums.
    I also understand that the burden of moderation falls upon a small number of members that means time management is critical. But when it comes to threatening behavior as James R has stated, this will not be tolerated.

and of course I voted "No"in the poll.

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

As I reported multiple times on this members posts this should read:
    Unfortunately, your recent reports have been rejected (plural)
    Also it appears to be a rip off from a moderator's old post.

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Hi Quantum,
    Firstly let me appologise I am sincerely sorry that you took my banter seriously.
    Secondly I point out what you took as a threat was actually me fooling about with you.
    I could go on and try and explain more but I want you not to think about it anymore and know that I am sincerely sorry to upset you, but your behaviour and "the swipe" caused me to have some fun at your expense and I accept that I should not have called on you to apologise.

You have my respect and best wishes.
    Alex

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I accept your apology and also wish to extend mine. I could have been more considerate and less pedantic.
    And you did help indirectly towards clarifying the issue of displacement and the technically incorrect thread title. Which is on me...so I thank you for your participation even if a bit uhmmm... contentious.
    The thread title should read:
    Harvesting energy from ocean depths and not harvesting pressure.
    Perhaps I will run another thread which involves all the insights gained so far...and please feel free to participate in any way you feel you wish to. (Subject to site rules of course) I hold no grudge...

However we have this problem with these anonymous notifications to deal with.

Keep well - QQ

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I am not involved in any notifications.

Thank you both accepted and appreciated.

I think that could be very productive.
    New forms of energy and mostly energy storage is somewhat a hobby of mine.

Alex

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

speculation:
    Most likely the reporting system - notification system have been manipulated/hacked but only the site administration would be able to confirm/deny it from their own records..

Key aspects of the notification were missing. Identity, thread link etc...

15. Bells Staff Member

Mod Note

Let me settle this once and for all.

Of all the goddamn stupid things you could have taken from the response that I gave you in rejecting your numerous and time wasting reports, you decide to go with a conspiracy that this site may have been hacked because *gasp*, numerous people dared to disagree with you after they spent countless hours trying to explain something, but because of your stubbornness and refusal and inability to admit that you might be wrong, you refuse to accept it..?

You filed numerous reports, of all of which were rejected, not because we were hacked. But because you were not threatened, there was no threatening messages in the numerous reports you filed, nor were they flaming you or trolling you.

What I found instead was numerous posters who were at the end of their tether after you trolled and flamed them with your constant disingenuous posts and re-framing of their responses to you where they tried to educate you, into fitting your beliefs.

You follow the exact same pattern each time.

1. You post from a position of ignorance.
    2. You then troll and flame people who try to educate you and explain things to you.
    3. You then get narky and increase the trolling and flaming. People naturally bite back, because they are fed up with your behaviour.
    4. You refuse to accept that you are wrong.
    5. You then start to reframe people's arguments. They naturally get shitty at this and then point out that you are trolling.
    6. You keep trolling and flaming people.
    7. Then after days of this behaviour, you have some sort of epiphany, somehow supposedly understand what people were saying to you - while again reframing their arguments in a disingenuous manner. You then apologise and thank people for explaining things to you and then carry on until next time.

You do this each and every single time.

You decided to report people when you were at point 5 noted above.

And you actually think that the rejection of your reports were because we were hacked, because god forbid you could actually be wrong?

No QQ, they were all rejected because you got the responses you were deliberately aiming for.

There were no threats.

The only person who should have received an infraction was you.

And believe me, when I am done with this thread, you will receive one for wasting my time yet again and wasting everyone's time and trying to stir up a dumbarsed conspiracy theory because no one took your ridiculous reports seriously.

No you troll.

The reporting system is overseen by moderators. We will sometimes add a note to you, to advise you of why we addressed the report as we did, whether it is rejected, has been addressed, etc.

All of yours were rejected because at no time were you threatened or anyone been threatening towards you.

You flamed and trolled people and then got the veritable snits because people dared respond to you in a negative manner as you deserved. You filed 4 reports, 3 of which were filed within a space of less than 2 minutes. Yes, we have a record of all reports filed. It wasn't because of a hack, so you can stop with the stupid conspiracies. It was because your reports were a waste of time and a clear attempt to silence those who dared to disagree with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.