Throw another git on the barbie

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Oct 11, 2007.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So there was this bombing in Indonesia, killed about 200 Aussies. Maybe you guys heard of it. And they threw the bombers in jail, which was just awesome. And every year for Ramadan, they cut a few years off their sentence - you know, as a gift, kind of. All they did was blow up some kufr! Seriously! That's practically halal. (In fact, by some readings, it is halal.)

So let's imagine another, further insult to the dead and collective sensibility - as if that were possible - and pretend that some of the bombers had been set free, and then let's go the extra mile and imagine that some of them were invited to a police barbeque and, just for a little extra crazy, let's imagine that they spoke with the head of anti-terrorism for all Indonesia.

Wouldn't that be wierd? Wouldn't it?

:scratchin:

I see. A big happy family. Hey! we're all brothers. All in this together. Not like the kuffar you blasted. They're not us, soo...

Interesting. His depth of contrition is wondering how bad it would have been if their own family members had been blown up. Not "you know, blowing up people just for their faith is wrong. Totally wrong. I don't know what in fuck we were smoking."

Redemption and resurrection, supremacist style. No underlying human code. Just personal interest and tribalism. Great.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I suspected someone might bring that up: I appreciate that all kinds of crimes are proportionally being pardoned at Ramadan, but these are terrorists. Meanwhile, the apparati of the Indonesian government is reaching out on the basis of religious brotherhood. I wonder how such a move would go over in the US? "That corporate raiding and such? Well, don't worry about it. We're all Christians here."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Heh they have Ramadan everyday; just see the racial differences in arrest, conviction and death sentences. Probably parole too.

Besides, Ramadan pardons are not just for Muslim prisoners.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

...uh, that really doesn't have anything to do with lowering sentences on the basis of the religious conviction of either the court or the convicted. Did you have a comment about lowering sentences for terrorists based on religious fellow-feeling?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like I said, the lowering of sentences is not based on the religion of the convicted.

And presidential/gubernatorial pardons/amnesty are not unusual.

I find it silly that you are arguing against leniency.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/01/news/afghan.php

Pardons
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardon

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Also wrongful. I think this kind of supports my point.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Guess you don't read Nietzsche:

"Beware of those in whom the will to punish is strong."

Forgiveness is right if there is remorse; punishment in such cases is just revenge, which does not change the crime, have any good effect on the criminal; it merely lowers the one who demands punishment to the status of vindictiveness rather than justice.

I am not a believer in the prison system. Its just a way of avoiding a resolution of the basis of crime in society (this does not apply to the criminally insane)

13. Bells Staff Member

Some people do not deserve leniency.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

True, but no one deserves to be killed or put away because other people would rather continue to promote the kind of society that forces some people to resort to crime.

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

It sounds like these fine fellows should have been suspended head-first over a large nest of african army ants.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

True, but no one deserves to be forced to use killer army ants to dispatch those who were forced to purposely target and murder innocent humans.

17. Bells Staff Member

The Balinese society in no way promotes anyone to resort to crime.

I don't think they should be killed. I think they should be put to hard labour for the rest of their lives, and the money made from said labour paid to the local Balinese who lost loved one's and their family's main source of income (through either death or injury in the bombings). And that's just for starters.

I don't think they should ever be allowed out of jail, even if they say 'sorry'. What they did was beyond abhorrent. The way they did it turns my stomach. To set two bombs, detonate one and then time the second so that they catch those trying to escape the horror of the first one... :bawl:

There is no excuse for what they did and they should not be given leniency or be allowed out of jail to enjoy a friendly BBQ. It is an insult to the survivors and the people who lost loved one's in those bombings.

I'm done with this topic.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Possibly you believe that punishment is justice, something to do with the closure that everyone talks about.

I don't happen to believe that. I think punishment propagates the cycle of violence

I agree with community service even lifelong, I think rather than locking people away we should figure out a way to break the cycle of crime.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: This topic is not about America. Off-topic posts deleted. Please try to stay on topic.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How is pardoning someone for blowing up civilians not comparable to rewarding other people for blowing up civilians? Both are done by the state.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I see. So the Bali bombers should be let go? How about the marines who purportedly massacred those civilians in Haditha? Ah, for them, the rack. Right right. Ridiculous.

So all criminals should be let go. Interesting.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

?? Who precisely is "being forced to resort to crime" here?

No one is rewarding people for blowing up civilians...well, there's Hamas, I guess. Anyway, this thread is about cutting someone's jail time for absurd religious reasons, and terrorists' jail time in particular. This is abhorrent. It must stop. Or should those who commit crimes against the ummah also just receive a slap on the wrist and be set free?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They were not just let go, they were pardoned for good behaviour.

In India, OTOH, they pardon for political reasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3464505.stm

Not let go, assimilated.