Time is an illusion?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Aug 28, 2016.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I thank it likely that Einstein will be found to be corect about determinism.!!!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. geordief Valued Senior Member

You think here may be an undiscovered-as-yet direct one-to -one causal link between each and every connected event even (=especially) on the smallest scale?

Do you think I have summarized the possibility correctly?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes that sounds perty good to me.!!!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Nothing doesn't believe, making it bad. This the bear leopard, recieves power from Hatred an abdominal dragon.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Crossword clue?

Seattle likes this.
  9. geordief Valued Senior Member

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The Catholic Church teaches that Intelligent Design aligns with natural laws, and doesn't conflict with them, or ''override'' them. This new pope especially has been very favorable towards science. It's not really an older view at all. Not all religions believe this, or people of faith.

Maybe it's just semantics, at this point.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''Pieces'' of time?

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It seems unlikely that anyone will be able to prove it out, though. It kind of sucks in a way, that there are so many unanswered and quite likely unanswerable questions relating to our universe.

13. geordief Valued Senior Member

Hardly sucks. That is the best part . It is a crossword puzzle that resets itself . If it didn't that would present a whole new set of problems (dull ones) .

14. geordief Valued Senior Member

Are past,present and future observer dependent concepts (maybe it is just "obviously yes") ?

It is also confusing that we have the subjective experience of time (subjective past ,subjective present and subjective future) which is surely quite unscientific -and different.

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I must say... the older i get the more content i seem to be wit the realization that i will never know the answrs to such questons... but the more enjoyable it becomes as bits an pieces about the universe are learned thru the scientific method.!!!

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I guess.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

"Pope Francis' statements yesterday bring the church's stance back in line with its historical position on scientific thought, and away from the creationist- and intelligent design-leaning views of his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...cept-evolution-and-big-bang-180953166/?no-ist

18. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Sure! "May I have some of your pizza?" "May I have some of your time?" "Thank you for your pizza." "Thank you for your time." "Care to share some pizza with me?" "Care to share some time with me?"

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol Okay, so why can't past/present/future be descriptors of time?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure what the problem is here: Saying you want a slice of pizza (an amount) tells you nothing whatsoever about what pizza is. It isn't a description, it is a quantity. Indeed, that alone isn't enough of a description to even tell the difference between pizza and time!

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Citation? I am unaware of any church pronouncement favouring ID - certainly not ID in as recognised in the modern sense I referred to above. In fact, rather the contrary, according to a quick web check. See this, for example: http://io9.gizmodo.com/pope-rails-against-intelligent-design-says-god-isnt-a-1652162938

22. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From CluelessHusband Post #21
    I Think Einstein once said
    The above suggests that he believed in a deterministic universe, contrary to basic notions of Quantum Theory.

BTW: I think he used god more in the sense of natural law than in the religious sense.

Quantum Theory surely seems to refute the notion of a deterministic universe. Radioactive decay is the best known of various random processes at the Quantum Level.

I am sure that few modern physicists believe in a deterministic universe. They consider it to be built on a Quantum Level of reality governed by probabilistic laws.

When asked about his notions of time he said (paraphrase, not an exact quote).
    He used italics for the words before & after, to indicate that they were undefined primitives.

BTW: Any system of logic requires some undefined primitive terms to avoid various paradoxes related to circular definitions.

It is interesting to note that Einstein, rather than Planck, should be given credit for the establishment of Quantum Theory.

Planck described Black Body radiation as being due to some type of mechanical-like oscillations. Einstein read his paper & put forth the notion that energy was quantized. He was derided for this POV & when asked about the controversy on this issue replied something like

23. river

Outside the Universe looking in ;

Can see all time as being everywhere at the same moment . At the same time of that moment .

In other words; there are a billions of things going on in the Universe at the same moment that I reply to this post .

Imagine

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016