Time is an illusion?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Aug 28, 2016.

1. river

So again ; in other words our measure of time going by ; has no effect upon anything else that goes locally or the in the big picture of the Universe .

Time is an illusion. But not the moment or movement on which we based " time " on . This is real . Time based on our tiny spot in the Universe , orders our lives ; but has no efficacy outside our planet.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It does not break down.

"...things which interact are never in 100% full contact..."
    This is only true at a human level of perception.

If an asteroid collides with another asteroid and bounces off, on a new trajectory, it doesn't matter what you consider "full contact". These masses interacted, and the result was a trajectory of that. In a deterministic universe, the outcome is 100% fated.

In a deterministic universe, not only are you determined by all the interaction of atoms precding you, but your very next thought is determined by the atoms. You have no free will.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geordief Valued Senior Member

You are not claiming that we do live in a deterministic universe are you?(I can see a large distinction between the universe being deterministic and being predictable but I thought current scientific consensus was that the universe was not deterministic but probabilistic)

Maybe we are off topic. I am sure there are other threads for free will vs determinism..

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. I am simply describing the implications of a deterministic universe.

Predictabilility is a poor test of determinism; it involves finite degrees of accuracy in measurement.

8. river

Hmmmm.. determinism is really the equivalent of the subconscious is it not ?

Sorry for the tangent here but I needed to say this .

river

9. geordief Valued Senior Member

I see that.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No.

Learn to control your impulses.

Kristoffer likes this.
  11. phyti Registered Senior Member

time:

'The Meaning of Relativity', Albert Einstein, 1956:
    page 1.
    "The experiences of an individual appear to us arranged in a series of events; in this series the single events which we remember appear to be ordered according to the criteria of "earlier" and "later", which cannot be analysed further. There exists, therefore, for the individual, an I-time, or subjective time."

page 31.
    "The non-divisibility of the four-dimensional continuum of events does not at all, however, involve the equivalence of the space coordinates with the time coordinate."

page 32.
    "Finally, with Minkowski, we introduce in place of the real time co-ordinate l=ct, the imaginary time co-ordinate..."

Minkowski was a mathematician. Math involves generalization and simplification, which typically assists in solving problems. The downside is, the entities represented by abstract expressions tend to lose their identity. In the case of SR, time is expressed as a 'dimension', but only in a mathematical sense. If interpreted literally, this opens the door for 'time travel' and everything that follows.

determinism:
    The concept is ideal and unrealistic. The prerequisites are not achievable. From SR we know all awareness of events is historical. Including the case of quantum events, we can only know where the particle was, or what the momentum was. In the case of objects with varying distances, any information would be obsolete. In summation, the current state of the universe is unknown since the current state of its components cannot be known simultaneously.

predestination:
    A contradiction of terms and a sample of the foolishness of human thinking. A supreme being would not create a world with intelligent life forms, having free will, then ask them to choose, knowing the outcome.

intelligent design:
    What is the source of 'laws' that govern the behavior of the universe?
    How did genetic code, a requirement for life, originate?

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Maybe the personal ''meaning'' that we place on it, is an illusion.

13. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

We can take time, but also MAKE time! I too believe that time doesn't exist: the future hasn't happened yet; it is a non-entity.