Tipping over

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Vkothii, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Vkothii Banned Banned

"I can't respond to this."

Yeah, that sounds nice an' sensible, right there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I live in Manhattan and the CO2 is just fine thank you. I love the smog. SO2 ftw.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

An active volcano can emit 10 million tonnes of SO2 per day.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/What/VolGas/volgas.html

Nuke the volcanoes.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

Not even to you or me? Or sciforums? My goodness.
    A human should value human life, as in their own life and other humans' lives?
    How much, or compared to what?

The planet doesn't value us or any other animals. Animals define their own value, in both senses of the word, so what's your value for human animal dominance, survival, or loss of somewhere to live? What does "value" have to do with any of those things?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

There was a thread recently that quoted a cost of $45 trillion to make a dent in global warming. Do you honestly believe we can afford $45 trillion? Really?

We can't afford to address global warming in a significant way. Half measures will serve only to impoverish us and limit our ability to respond to any climate changes that do occur.

Oil supplies are running low anyway. We will ultimately develop alternative energy sources and, with $4 a gallon gas (with no sign of an end to the price increases), we will have a huge motivation to develop them.

Even within my home state of Indiana, they've recently built a huge windfarm:

Again, to be able to afford to make the adjustments we need to make, we need to avoid arbitrary carbon restrictions that choke off our economy and limit our ability to adapt to a changing world.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I don't honestly believe that thread fact had the slightest connection to physical reality, or involved anything sensible people would even consider.

A 45 trillion dollar price tag on the effects of the CO2 boost itself sound much easier to back up.

In a situation in which a major factor is the rate of change - not just the change itself - even modest and ordinary measures undertaken in good time could have great benefits.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Those measures will be undertaken without any government agencies holding meetings or imposing regulations. Carbon based energy is getting more expensive. This in and of itself will motivate the development of technologies to replace it.

Government mandates regarding carbon output will serve only to slow economic growth and delay the development of those technologies.

That's what I'm against.

10. Andre Registered Senior Member

So we are definitely back in the dark ages with yet another variation of armageddon, the infamous tipping point based on a completely false scientific perception.

It's completely unimportant that the enhanced greenhouse effect is completely falsified, both in theory and by factual observations. We can't do without the scaremongering So scaremongering we get, no matter what.

11. Vkothii Banned Banned

No, not yet, that's the plan though.
    You're saying the GEO report is scaremongering?
    Are the economic forecasters scaremongering too, is the Fed just working everyone up because they like to scare people, you think?

12. Hippikos Registered Member

"Tipping Point", the Fear Factory is at it again. Next thing is "Stampeding", "Lemmings". Loon Hansen now wants to put the Oil Bosses on trial, back to the dark medieval ages, witch hunt, stakes. A good thing them days; no fuel burning, less C02, nice cold weather, everybody happy, aight?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, the theory is that a planet (Theia) roughly the size of Mars collided with Earth. The debris formed the Moon. This was long before any life evolved on Earth though.

What actually is the difference, apart from the fact that we ourselves are humans ?

Oh come on..
    Even if you take away global warming, life is still being destroyed by hand of man.

I agree.
    I question our ability to do anything about it regardless of the cost.

IF there is something we can do, we should do it regardless of the cost.

Point taken..
    I just can't take it when people start yelling that some animal population has run rampant (the kangaroos for example) and they need to be culled to save the local environment.
    What people seem to miss is that there is a direct parallel with humans. The human species also has run rampant and is destroyed the environment because of their sheer numbers, just like the kangaroos.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Justify ?

So by your own admission it's a sentiment that small kids, that haven't fully developed their brain yet, enjoy ?
    Awesome argument.
    Humans (adults) have the brain power to see beyond the perspective of a two year old.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

He's right though. It was Madant that posted that, not Oil.
    You made an unintentional error there.

17. Vkothii Banned Banned

Ah well.

Perhaps there's another connection that isn't being spotted, or something.
    If you shift the POV back to post #78, maybe.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I know but the following was originally posted by Madant in post 75:
    Then you replied:
    See ? You made a mistake there

19. Vkothii Banned Banned

Whoops, too many swigs of coffee.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

No they won't. Not as long as some people can make money for themselves by defying them.

Hardin's Tragedy of the Commons. Market forces don't prevent it.

You will never see a market-based development of a new basic societal infrastructure. It's not something markets can do.

22. draqon Banned Banned

I lived down by Hoboken for my 6 years of my life, down to drain. The smog is disgusting, at least there are rains and storms to clear the air.

23. Vkothii Banned Banned

Yes, and there will no doubt be more rain and storms in Hoboken.
    Or not.