Tips to stay awake

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by bdee69, Jun 23, 2005.

1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

there was an experiment done where a woman was put in a cell, completely isolated from anything that could let her tell time (no windows or clocks, just some research for her to do and etc. etc.). Her cycle slowly became something like 36 hrs sleeping ,44hrs. awake. I'm wondering if you slep in and stay up late alot before this thing, if you can't shift your cycle. give you a very good boost I'd think, if you had been staying awake for extened periods before this thing. that is, if you've got the time to sleep for that long...

Cold air helps keep one awake, not shivering, just a gentle breeze of good AC should do it, works for me anyway.

And as for caffine, too much of it and you'll have a tendency to "crash", i did that at a friend's house, one minute I'm wide awake playing xbox, next thing I know I'm waking up 10 minutes later getting poked at, after 4 red bulls in one night!!! plus some sugar... I dunno, maybe that's just with me, caffine never did that much to me anyway...

good luck to you! btw, what genre are you djing and is this thing getting a webcast?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Satyr Banned Banned

My preferred method for staying awake is to maintain a steady sense of horror about existence.
    My preferred method of going to sleep is to tumble into a sense of despair and depression that fatigues the body to a degree that only sleep can make it escape annihilation.

But that's just me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Drink lots of strong coffee. Make sure you eat enough, though. The extra energy you get from the caffeine will deplete your body of its sugar. You could very easily pass out from hypoglycemia!

Stay busy. I tried staying up for 72 hours once. My mistake was I had nothing to do but watch reruns of "The Brady Bunch." Furthermore, I didn't eat enough. With a lack of sleep, your metabolism and everything changes. I ended up getting sick, and I was so miserable I gave up after about 36 hours.

Good Luck!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. seismik si Registered Member

Im currently awake now after 36 hours as I run my own graphics business and sometimes I get a backlog and have to burn the midnight oil to catch up on deadlines (mainly due to my booze abuse during the week).

Anyhows I do this fairly regulary and can sometimes get up 50 odd hours. I think its about breaking your bodies natural cycles. Your body is programmed to sleep after certain periods of time (or maybe light cycles etc) but if you can fight through the initial sleepy phase (starts maybe 12 ish hours in and lasts maybe 7 hours after) you will find a sudden boost of energy as your body stops trying to make you sleep and decides to go back to awake mode. You will find your actions get more sluggish over time and concentration starts to dip big style but you should none the less feel awake after the first sleepy bit. I dont know about 70 + hours though. Anyhows im babbling due to sleep depravation now so I hope it goes well !!

8. Robin Registered Member

Get some sleep beforehand... Cocaine works well, sometimes better than amphetamines. I find that if I really feel the need to sleep, pinching my fingertips or pressing against some areas of my eyes helps me stay up.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

This is actually a torture method. And it works until the body falls death, from lack of sleep.

Put a small wooden board under the top of your feet so your ancles hover a bid. This way you will tip over if you fall asleep and be awake instantly.
    Their is offcourse the downside of cramps but this also keeps you awake.
    In the end it's better for your body then taking drugs.

10. Padmora Registered Member

One good tip to stay awake is to every now and then rinse your wrists with icecold water.

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

Sleep is a good idea.

12. Vic the Trader straight chillin Registered Senior Member

Definitely.

Do you think Hitler and his boys needed sleep when they were pummeling over Western Europe? Hell no.

(Edit: A good line of coke is more natural than amphetamines, though.)

13. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i took 7 cappucinos doing the overnight shift at maccas once, just for the hell of it, taking them evenly spaced from about 10pm til 3am. the lesson learned was that it made me way more tired by using up all my energy, and once home i had to lay in bed unable to close my eyes or stop vibrating though mercifully i was too exhausted to think. so imo avoid coffee drugs etc. cos they'll all run out before 85 hours and leave you worse off. how could someone need you for 85 hours straight anyway? go sleep in a car or something.

i dunno, winding down a car window in winter to wake myself up has never helped. i just got cold. becoming genuinely interested in something always makes me far more alert, though finding something genuinely interesting when you're really tired is a tall order. something like a book of random, amazing facts is a portable suggestion.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  14. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Where was this? One test subject? No control? In a cell? That hardly qualifies as an experiment, it's just indulging a fetish.

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I saw it on TV once, I dunno, you're right, I should look this up...

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Get a hammer and whenever you feel like you're drifting off, pick up the hammer, and hit your hand, hard.

17. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

The best tip to stay awake, other than "get a decent amount of sleep over a sustained period" is to visit your doctor and claim to have shift work sleep disorder, or something similar. He will them give you a prescription for Provigil, the anti-narcolepsy drug.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

sure it wasn't a Twilight Zone episode? LOL

19. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Only a pussy would rely on illegal drugs.

Tips to stay awake? Don't go to sleep. Simple.

When I work through the night (and into the day) I go away from my desk about every 30-40 mins and just do random stuff. Shadowbox, have a cold fizzy-drink, dance, stand on my head, do flips, press-ups etc. Something I noticed though, during the daytime my teeth feel like they’re gonna fall out, very strange feeling, I struggle to eat because of this, and eventually everything seems to move very fast.

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Drink several cans of Red Bull every so often.

21. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Red bull is nasty. I don't feel anything when I drink it either, high caffeine drinks don't work for some people.

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Since the human body really isn't designed for that kind of long haul...you need to bring out the big guns...meth...and lots of it...if you need a break from the meth...just shoot some coke into your privates. j/k ..that would kill you.

...or just drink a shitload of expresso and take a bunch of "disco" naps when you can.

23. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

Try the one legged anti-sleeping stool. If you fall asleep, you fall over. . . start again.