titan A.E

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by dexter, Jun 23, 2000.

1. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

i jsut saw Titan A.E, and i thought it was a realistic movie. its idea's were totally orriganal, and i had evan thought about most of the ideas in my free time.like the dredge, they were maden of pure energy, and i was tossing that idea around in my head for a wile, any ways, back to subject, if any of you saw it, tell me what you thought of it, what you liked, and what you didnt.

------------------
    when christianity ruled the world, it was called the dark ages.

-dexter (nimrod242 :aol sn)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. liked the movie, I liked the action, characters, the animation and the story-line.
    Whether it was original doesn't matter, because according to friends there are only 42 stories in our culture. Boy meets girl, boy falls for girl...etc. etc & etc.
    I'm hoping we haven't made any space enemies
    and that any aliens that have discovered faster that light transportation, will have evolved to a more benign and thoughtful nature. But this was entertainment and I think it succeded very well.
    Say, I know your young and you may not know much about history, but Christianity never ruled the world. Western nations ruled most of the world from 1492 to 1945, but Christianity was just an afterthought. Most people and government were interested in profits, then the list of reasons goes from there. Christianity did rule most of Europe from the Middle Ages to the Age of Discovery. But I think Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and others would argue that Christianity did not rule them, until Western Europe exploded onto the world scene in 1492. Up until then they could hold their own against us and our co-equal technology.
    Since you are into sci-fi, think of 1492, as first contact and the Europeans as the space aliens, they came with several advantages that helped them conquer the Americas, which helped fuel the conquest of most of the world. These advantages are: technology, diseases, strategies, greed, nationalism and a worldview that was eurocentric. Tecnology; ships, guns, cannon, steel against stone-age cultures. Diseases; measles, smallpox and malaria decimated whole populations, then starvation, slavery and war got the rest. Strategies: the crusades, Spain and Portugal's war of liberation, the English-French wars for supremacy, the Italian city-states intercesant wars, the struggles against the Ottoman Empire. All helped breed awesome war machines, trained and ready to fight, negotiate treaties and alliances and look for any weaknesses.
    Greed; Gold, silver, jewels, land, titles, objects and trade. All yours for the taking. Manhatten Island traded for $24 in beads, I understand that several years ago only one treaty remained that had not been broken, and New York was ready to to take land from the Iroquis for a dam.
    Nationalism; Well if your French, all you do is as a French man. When you're in trouble, theres more French at the fort. Same goes for English, Spanish, etc. By the time Indians united, it was too late. Little Big Horn came 400 hundred years too late to help the Indians.
    Worldview; Europeans had the view that every thing was made for them and revolved around them. Look at the maps of the world, the names, the layout. They discovered the new world? Well I guess that was news to the Indians, which I guess would like to be called 'People', since that is supposed to be the translation of most of their names.
    Anyway, read more, listen, learn, discuss, argue, try to be your best. Sorry, for the lecture but I like history, culture, and since I am an end product of 1492 (most Chicanos/Mexicans are the end result of this clash of civilizations), I like to keep up on this subject.

[This message has been edited by Randolfo (edited June 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Randolfo (edited June 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dexter (edited August 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dexter (edited August 04, 2000).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

A friend of mine who is an animator and a big-time cartoon nut advised me not to go see it unless all I wanted to see was the great animation. He described the story as being totally Jap-Anime cookie-cutter without an ounce of originality to the story. It takes a lot for this guy to pan a cartoon when his livelihood depends on people liking cartoons.

I may go see it anyway. I like cartoons too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

its not the story line that was totally great, its jsut the idea's on technology, and life that i thought were realistic, not the cartoons. like how they didnt have a fork, and insteed they jsut used tome other utensal, a new one that i have never used before. and the idea that the dredge were energy, and afraid of us humans, i went there to see road trip, but my friend and i couldnt get in, so we jsut saw that, and i liked it a lot. but changeing a ship into a planet whent a little too far.

------------------
    when christianity ruled the world, it was called the dark ages.

-dexter (nimrod242 :aol sn)

8. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

I thought Titan A.E. was the most predictable sack of garbage in existence. It had all the stereotypical characters, and Oxygens friend was completely right. That plot was cookie-cutter if I ever saw one.

For gods sake, Pokemon is more original then this movie. BTW, all of the ideas have been done before in better movies.

The animation was pretty good though.

9. Infinity Registered Senior Member

I agree with C. Hudson. Titan AE was a heap of garbage

10. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

I would just like to voice my protest over the fact that dexter has been made a moderator. He is the least qualified for the job (as far as responsibility and maturity are concerned).

I await everyones angry and irrational replies.

P.S.-Titan AE sucked.

[This message has been edited by Corp.Hudson (edited August 05, 2000).]

11. DaveW Registered Senior Member

Corp, please continue this discussion in Site Feedback.