Titanium vs. steel

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Facial, Mar 17, 2006.

?

Your favorite of the two?

1. TITANIUM

35 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. STEEL

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Facial Valued Senior Member

Do you have a machine shop example of this? I have no experience with real life, just textbooks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

Yes I do, while machining titanium with carbide tipped tools if you do not use proper cooling then what eventually happens is it does get hot, it gets soft, and it galls so that your surface is screwed up and has to be re-machined. That doesn't happen very often but it can happen, especially when drilling or boring holes or surfacing to a very high sheen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

lol maybe an experiment is warranted here, since you are pretty smart on this atomic structure stuff how hot would one need to get his steel and aluminum to pound the two together ... I'll find out what happens lol.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hamboniousmaximus Registered Member

BMX crank spindle

building a new bmx bike for riding ramp and sometimes street. i will not be doing any like 14 foot drops to flat concrete or any thing to drastic but i will be landing from about an average of 4-6 feet on my biggest tricks to flat landings... yeah im also a 40 year old who weighs 230 lbs. i have never cracked or snapped any bmx part yet so id really like to spend the extra 80 dollars to shed almost a half a pound off of a single part... but i noticed some people say ti- may be more brittle??? now my definition of brittle would be smacking it with a steal hammer/ vs / me wearing shoes and helping absorb the shock while landing??? all my bikes cost around 600 to 700 dollars so 80 more shouldnt be much a prob ???

8. lucymaggie Registered Member

Stainless Steel Jewelry has emerged as a good alternative

The 316L steel ring can be a great gift for the man in your life. Although gold, silver and platinum were the main materials used to make rings; steel has now become the trendiest of all materials. People are looking forward to buying these rings for many significant occasions, especially weddings. Since everyone likes to buy and gift something different and beautiful all the time, Stainless Steel Jewelry from a site called jinyunsteeljewelry has emerged as a good alternative which is attractive, easy to maintain and quite affordable too. The rings look best when designed like bands instead of fancy feminine designs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.