to vax or not to vax

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by sculptor, Feb 16, 2021.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

My normal approach would be to approach any vaccination with timorous caution.
    However:
    I have an appointment for the first of 2 covid19 vaccinations tomorrow.
    (the die is cast)

Anyone in here getting or gotten vaccinated for covid19?

Your thoughts?

Dennis Tate likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I simply do not understand why Americans are so terrified of a perfectly ordinary vaccination shot. Here in the UK, 90% of over 70s came forward to be vaccinated, and now we are onto the over 60s.

I had mine (Oxford/AstraZeneca) last Friday and spent Saturday feeling fairly feverish, no doubt because I have had the virus already so my system recognises the invader and reacts. But fine from Sunday onward, apart a little residual soreness around the injection site, which is normal.

As a former international traveller, I must have had about 20 of these vaccinations over the years, for cholera, Typhoid, Tetanus, Yellow Fever etc. It really is not a big deal. At all. Whereas it can easily save your life.

sculptor likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

I can understand it because it is a completely new type of vaccine (mRNA.) However, in a month, the phase III trials will have had the standard six months of followup, and at least based on evidence it will - at that point - be as safe as any other vaccine. (And I have no reason to expect any other outcile.)

sculptor likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

what is outcile?

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The trepidation will subside as time goes on, imo. Maybe people feel like guinea pigs when it first came out, but as billvon states...it will be like any other vaccine. Not sure that it's just the vaccine that makes people afraid...Covid, in general, has caused a lot of panic, almost like a fog has come over the world, and we're wandering through our day to day lives, in this 'new normal.' I'm not sure anything will ever be the same, but maybe 'the same' wasn't where we needed to be, either. Nonetheless, many people are a little more afraid than they used to be, in general.

In other news, at first glancing at the title, I thought this thread was about ''waxing.'' Wow, I need a nap.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

But these things had all been tested on tens of thousands of people before they were even licenced. By now 15 million in the UK have had them and goodness knows how many in the USA. What are people afraid of?

geordief likes this.
  10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

thinking about bikini time?

the trepedation
    we are the phase 3 guinea pigs

however
    scheduling a vaccination appointment wasn't easy
    I tried the health service where i normally go, walgreens, hyvee, the va and was searching for more
    My beloved spouse got her 1st shot last week and has been bugging me non stop, as has my lawyer son.(the other one-science teacher- is a tad more laid back.-but he is teaching in the classroom and so far is healthy)

I guess that now, i can close some dead end open windows

this whole experience is a tad unusual.

wegs likes this.
  11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sorry, outcome.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Autoimmune reactions primarily, ones that may show up six months (or a year, or five years) after the vaccine was administered.

sculptor and candy like this.
  13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Two points. I simply do not understand why Americans...

It's perfectly OK to stop there. What ever those listening add in is acceptable

Having said that I would contend there maybe some (small number) with a genuine concern about the rushness of the vaccine production

YES another two valid reasons for some to be concerned needing, perhaps just a little more reassurance

The remainder who who are concerned about the Bill Gates micro chip are a real concern

. Perhaps a special Tin Foil cap can be designed for this group. Not going to do anything for them. For the rest, it will signal "Here they are - stay at least 3 metres away"

14. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

statistical chance it will kill you is probably so low it would take a long time to hold down the 0 button

as long as you dont plan to be a sperm donor(they seem to have some really high standards that make no sense compared to common breeding cycles but thats just a joke but i would consider the need for more information if your about to start breeding & about to get the vaccine at the same time)

is there a suppository option ? no wait ! that's politics (ignore that, if your sitting down already)

i personally do not see why people are worried about the vaccination safety from my perspective of trust in the scientific community
    i can understand the variant flavours of extremists tin-foil-hatters(conspiracy theorists) & the unfortunate religiously indoctrinated

i personally do not want the vaccine because of my hyper sensitivity & allergy's
    but i may be forced to get it eventually
    if it kills me i will be sure to take a few people with me so it wont be in vain

sculptor likes this.
  15. foghorn Valued Senior Member

I understand their looking for a vaccine for that too.
    I thought you were a man of bronze.

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Squeak Squeak

sculptor likes this.
  17. candy Valued Senior Member

Since I can not tolerate flu shots I have been advised against risking the covid shots. Hopefully I have retained some immunity.

Wegs in lieu of waxing consider no-no.

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

feet of clay

19. sculptor Valued Senior Member

one month hence
    in watermelon sugar

20. sculptor Valued Senior Member

OK curious side effect to the vaccination (moderna)
    My evening whiskey don't taste the same.
    it lost it's smokey flavor and seems smoother(not that I'm complaining)

just curious
    did anyone get the watermelon sugar reference?
    (my beloved spouse often says that I come up with obscure references and assume that everyone will know what I'm referencing)

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i dont get the watermelon reference.

tastes
    smokey flavour
    where does that come from ?
    carbon ?
    aromatics of some range ...
    i notice quite a difference in taste depending on how much fat or types of fruit i eat
    the more animal fat i eat the worse my taste becomes in general

eating things like deep friend meats or items including red meat
    wipes out a lot of the finer ends tones of my taste range
    equally too much acidic food or increases in various vitamins or minerals

22. sculptor Valued Senior Member

In Watermelon Sugar is an American postmodern post-apocalyptic novel by Richard Brautigan written in 1964 and published in 1968.
    in which the saying
    "the deed was done and done again in watermelon sugar "
    is repeated
    the vaccination shot is repeated in one month
    ergo the reference. (done and done again)

as/re the whiskey; the smoky flavor is supposedly from the pet smoke used in the preparation of the malted barley
    (I never visited the distillery)

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

This article is from the NT News issue of Thursday, 18 Feb

Vax hesitancy ‘concerning’ authorities

FIGURES showing more than a quarter of Australians say they will delay receiving a COVID-19 vaccine are “concerning” , according to the nation’s chief medical officer.

A Department of Health survey shows less than half of Australians are prepared to receive the vaccine as soon as it becomes available, although 71 per cent plan to get immunised by October.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration granted AstraZeneca vaccine approval for use in Australia on Tuesday after approving the Pfizer jab last month.

But Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly conceded the level of vaccine hesitancy was “concerning” just a week before the first Pfizer vaccines were administered in Australia .

“That demonstrates we need to continue to stress the vaccine as being safe and effective ,” he said.

“Please, when your turn comes, line up and get it. These vaccines will save lives.”

The survey shows 27 per cent of Australians would delay receiving the jab, while a further 9 per cent would refuse to get immunised altogether .

The largest factors motivating against the vaccine are fears of unknown side-effects , that it has been developed too quickly and concerns over allergic reactions.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

From today's 18 February 2021 NT News newspaper Darwin Australia

We have some hesitancy here as can be seen in the news item here