Tomato flavor improvement

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by timojin, Feb 1, 2017.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

Do you like the taste of tomato ?
    http://cen.acs.org/articles/95/i5/f...Member&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=CEN
    Researchers sequence the genes of hundreds of tomato varieties to construct a road map back to desirable flavor
    By Sarah Everts
    [+]Enlarge

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A selection of the tomatoes that scientists sequenced to identify genes that make appealing molecules, including geranylacetone and β-ionone.
    Credit: Harry Klee
    Folks who are familiar with the delicious flavor and texture of a freshly picked, vine-ripened tomato often feel betrayed by the hard, bland, red orbs sold in many supermarket produce aisles.

But a tomato flavor revival may be in store thanks to a group of researchers led by the University of Florida’s Harry Klee. The scientists sequenced the genome of 398 wild, heirloom, and supermarket tomato varieties. With the help of human taste panelists, they then identified the 28 most pleasurable tomato flavor and odor chemicals, including leafy geranylacetone, floral β-ionone, and citrusy 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one. Most supermarket tomatoes have much lower levels of 13 of these appealing molecules than heirloom varieties have, Klee says (Science 2017, DOI: 10.1126/science.aal1556).

danshawen likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. karenmansker HSIRI Banned

Timojin" Thank you for some REAL interesting science news that is not laden with political rhetoric!! You set the good example!!

danshawen likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

In fact there was a revival in tomatoes with taste in European supermarkets some years ago. I think the Dutch, who grow a lot in greenhouses with very little flavour, may have been the first to start it. We can now get several varieties of supermarket tomato with good aroma and flavour. I wish they would now turn their attention to peppers (capsicum), which are almost entirely flavourless in Northern Europe. Possibly some of the same chemistry may be involved. I gather they are both from the same broad family (Solanaceae, nightshades).

danshawen likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.