Tornados

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Sorcerer, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Was just watching a docu about the storm that hit the Phillipines and I wondered why we can't stop these things at source, before they get too big. Maybe bomb the core to destroy the circular motion, or use missiles to target them, or something like that.

Anyone know if it's feasible?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

By putting a concave mirror in geosynchronous orbit, rather large built in small sections, they could reflect the sunlight down on the top of the forming clouds heating them up. By heating the tops of the clouds they would prevent the build up of the storm and it would not grow very large at all. It would soon just die away.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Is that feasible? It sounds good.
    What about the cost analysis? The phillippines alone will cost $3b, so if you save 10 or 20 of those you might be able to break even? Never mind the savings in life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Peregrine Registered Member

That is not true.

Tornados are caused by (normally) by two air masses coming together and causing the warmer air mass to rise very quickly. As the rising air begins to rise at a very fast rate, the speed causes it to rotate. There are multiple types of flow (water and air) laminar and turbulent are typical.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/laminar-transitional-turbulent-flow-d_577.html

Here is how tornados form:

[video=youtube;GM-abtIT6Is]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-abtIT6Is[/video]

Tornados cannot be precisely predicted in cloud formation. There can only be the right 'recipe' for tornados to occur. Tornado Warnings/Watches are issued based on if the conditions are right and if a tornado has formed.

Buddha12, I guess, is saying that a particular cloud could be heated up further during the formation of a tornado. However, that will not change the factors contributing to the tornado formation. Rather, it would likely speed up the formation of an even more powerful storm.

I think this rather sums it up:

View attachment 6786

OP:

The storm in the Phillipines recently was a hurricane. That is a different beast all together.

Hurricanes form in the ocean. Tornados on land.

8. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Brain fart on the title? That wasn't a tornado...

It isn't. There is orders of magnitude more energy produced by a hurricane than all of earth's electrical production or nuclear weapons.
    http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D7.html

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Nope. The amount of energy you'd need to disrupt the core would be so significant that the cure would be a lot worse than the disease. (i.e. if the bomb destroys everything within 100 miles, destroys all our satellites through EMP, creates fallout, tsunamis etc you haven't really improved things.)

10. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

The only way, AFAIK, to disrupt a cyclone (typhoon, hurricane) is to cool the surface water before it can feed them. Good luck on that.

11. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

No matter what knowledge they have, if they could stop them and did, people would be asking how did that happen.

They will not be given away there secrets to anyone at that level, and do not want to give there enemies any ideas of what they can do.

Also seeing as the weather is so dynamic, you have no idea what stopping a weather pattern may cause elsewhere, its too complicated for humans to work out how it all works. One storm across the world, could have massive effects thousands of miles away, and so on, in future events of the weather. We have no idea.

Just because they may have ideas on how to stop something, does not mean they should, and they know this i would assume.

They are developing these techs probably for extreme cases, and will only really use them in that sort of case.

So trying to stop a typhoon somewhere or hurricane, who knows what consequences will come of it? Just because humans may be able to do something, does not mean they should, and they have no idea of how complicated the repercussions or resulting actions of that action may turn out to be.

12. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Sorcerer was discussing a TYPHOON or HURRICANE in the OP. That was what I was trying to explain a way to dissipate that kind of weather phenomenon.

13. Peregrine Registered Member

I was thinking about what Kiteman was saying:

It may be possible to dump a petroleum product or oil into the water. Oil floats on top of water, so there is a chance that water would not evaporate.

I would need to do further research, but it seems feasible.

14. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

A solution worse than the problem? I suspect what is needed is a way to ENHANCE evaporation every day rather than suppress it.

I've sometimes thought that such large storms may be enhanced by "global dimming" which is supposed to reduce the surface evaporation rate. Without the UV(?) initiated evaporation, the surface might be getting warmer and the only way for nature to respond is to make more, or more severe, storms that agitate the vapor (and thus heat) out. JAT.

15. siledre Registered Senior Member

isn't there a good reason the earth has storms like this, I know it bodes terrible for humans but what if you can stifle hurricanes and tornado's, what is the likely long term effect of stopping them altogether?