Toronto's fat, vulgar, crack-smoking mayor

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Magical Realist, Nov 15, 2013.

1. river

Its too bad he has a drinking problem

He could have been so much better

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

You make my skin crawl. You go on and on about Treyvon Martin smoking weed and what a thug he was, now you have a thug of a mayor in Toronto that smokes crack and he has your vote. What a fecking hypocrite!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Not to mention threatening to kill someone.

"No hold barred brother..." He's like a walking one man version of Game of Thrones.

Even having him as a token Mayor is bad. He needs to resign.

But he's a political conservative and white, whereas Martin was black. For the likes of Kwhilborn, makes Ford a good guy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

He could never have been anything but a fathead. There seems to be a plague of fathead politicians lately. People fall for this load of shite because they think it's going to save them money, but they end up losing a whole lot more than they gain, and it takes far longer than they know to recover those losses, once the relatively sane and sober majority regains control.

On the other hand, he's nothing out of the ordinary - just a caricature of all the corrupts city halls of North America for the last century. You'd expect it in Chicago or Miami, not Hogtown.... Congratulations, TO, you've made it to the big time.

...sigh!

8. Balerion Banned Banned

If he's good at his job, does it really matter? I mean, obviously if he has a drug problem, he needs to sort it out, but I don't think anyone here would recommend their loved one losing a job simply because they have issues. Why does this guy need to be out of office?

9. Bells Staff Member

He is using public funds for a lot of his activities and getting drunk and stoned while on the job, possibly inviting prostitutes and using their services at functions funded by the State, not to mention using his position as Mayor to write letters of recommendations for drug traffickers to get them out of jail.

Threatening to murder people aside, is this the sort of person who should be in office? He wasn't doing all of this on his own time, but while on duty, as such.

If a loved one of mine behaved in this fashion, I would recommend they not be employed as a Mayor or in any office where their actions directly affected the lives and businesses of others.

10. Balerion Banned Banned

Okay, if you're talking abuses of power and misuse of public funds, then I understand. My thing is, we shouldn't get so caught up in people's personal lives. The main question should be relating to whether or not they are capable of doing their job well.

11. Bells Staff Member

If he was doing it on his own time, in the privacy of his own home, then people probably wouldn't care.

But he's attending State functions and getting stoned and drunk, inviting prostitutes to his office to smoke marijuana and sexually harassing female staff members, as well as attempting to solicit them for oral sex. That's illegal. By any stretch of the imagination. As is smoking crack-cocaine and threatening to murder people.

No, seriously, what the hell is he thinking refusing to stand down and instead persisting in this farce and saying he will run again in the next election? And why has he not been charged for all of the crimes he has committed, by his own admittance?

The whole thing is bizarre and I suspect it will get even weirder in the coming weeks.

12. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Not to mention that he is directly involved for the funding of the police department which is investigating him. Quite the conundrum.

13. Bells Staff Member

Which probably goes a long way in explaining why he was not charged when there is ample video footage of him committing illegal acts and he has openly admitted to doing it.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Being a public official like a mayor means you represent the city and the people of the city. That IS part of his job. If you're such a classless drug-addicted moron that you can't even do that well, then no, you shouldn't be mayor. And everyone knows when you enter public office, your personal life is automatically under scrutiny. It just goes with the territory. There's plenty of ethical candidates out there who are more than qualified to fill his position.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

He fired people and broke unions. When Thatcher did that, people widely wanted to hang her. I'm undecided but mildly prejudiced against the idea that that's always a good thing.

16. Balerion Banned Banned

"It just goes with the territory" doesn't cut it. Nor do I accept that a political representative must represent his or her constituents in how he or she conducts their personal life. For one, it's absurd to think that a person can be like all of the people they represent. Secondly, how they behave--so long as it doesn't interfere with how they do their job--shouldn't really matter. Do you know how many of our founders were slave owners? And at a time when they knew it was wrong? Would you, had you the chance, go back in time and remove every slave-owning, philandering, na'er do well from their office because of your moral objections to their lifestyle?

If the mayor has a substance abuse problem, he should get help. Vilifying him and demanding he be fired seems both stupid and cruel, though Bells says he's done some things in office that are actually firable offenses so then whatever. My point has been that we expect public figures to be moral paragons when we know it's unrealistic to do so, and we run the risk of missing out on good leaders because of it. I don't know if this guy was any good at his job, but that doesn't even seem to be part of the equation, which to me sounds ridiculous.

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Bullshit. It's not unrealistic at all to expect your own mayor, who does indeed represent your city and the people of it, to not be a crack addict and a sexual harrasser of women and a drunken sleezeball who threatens to murder people. As it stands now he is the laughing stock of the whole world and an embarrassment to the Toronto city council. Hence his being stripped of mayoral powers. Your kneejerk defense of this moron makes me question your own ethical standards. You do have some don't you?

18. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Bells,

I can see it is a normal part of being mayor to help all citizens and keep an eye on the justice system including its fairness. I would think not everyone deserving of life imprisonment was commuted as you seem to suggest, but rather a select few who had seen tough breaks.

In this age where everyone has a video camera within 10 feet all the time we will see a lot more private videos like the one that Exposed Mr Ford. If we only let the Nerdy Virgins any leeway on the political front soon enough the countries will be run by the PeeWee Hermans of our time.

As I have said. Ford took on spending across the entire government cutting their numbers and wages. He has already done his promises.
    He was only caught by a sneaky film capturing him trying crack while at a party drinking, I do not endorse using private videos for blackmail, etc.

19. Balerion Banned Banned

You again seem to misunderstand what it means to "represent." Bill Clinton was a philandering liar who also happened to be a good leader and a great humanitarian. His behavior with women was not at all representative of the moral compass of the country, yet those who defended him--myself included--cared less about where he laid his cigars and more about how he lead this country.

Sexual harassment is obviously something that can and should get him fired. His "death threats" were just drunken toughguy talk, and trying to characterize them as something more than that indicates you're more interested in piling on than finding out the truth.

I just don't get why the first reaction to hearing that a public figure has a substance abuse problem is to mock them, and shortly thereafter string them up from the nearest tree. He was voted in, doesn't anybody want to see that he gets some help? Why hasn't that ever been part of the discussion?

Hence nothing. Being an embarrassment and a laughing stock isn't cause enough to lose your position. George W Bush checked both of those boxes even before 9/11 and his War on Terror.

No, your lack maturity makes you question my ethical standards. It's easier to attack me than it is to effectively rebut my arguments. This ad hominem attack is one example; another would be you completely ducking my question about morality in politics. I'll direct you to my last post and ask you to address the point I made there about our founders, in the hope that you've recovered some of that missing integrity since your last reply.

20. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Ford is responsible as mayor for drugs and gangs in Toronto and he smokes crack and hangs out with known criminals privately. Is this really okay? What does this relay to the youth of Toronto?

I agree that Ford needs to get help and am hoping that he is successful in overcoming his reckless behavior, but he needs to step down while doing so. If he wishes to run again in the next election and the people of Toronto see fit to give him another chance then so be it.

I like Bells am curious to see what else comes out about Ford, especially his business dealings.

BTW, if there was video of Clinton using his cigar on Lewinsky's cooch, I dare say he would have been impeached and probably single too!

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

22. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

No one takes you serious, you do know that don't you? Lol, Ford is the victim here?

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

The union-busting or the hanging?