Tosser!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by TheFrogger, Mar 2, 2019.

1. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Hello there.

Just a thought. IF you could predict the outcome from the toss of a coin, so that you proved every toss WRONG, would the coin remain spinning in the air for eternity? I had a similar thought of tossing the coin to twice the distance from the floor (the distance it's being tossed FROM, again.) Any ignoramus who does not understand what I'm saying, need not reply (though I suspect they will anyway.) As for those who DO understand what I'm asking, do you think the theory will work.

I myself believe that even IF I could prove every toss WRONG, the coin would still return. It's just a thought. I eagerly anticipate your replies, AFrogger.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What does it mean to prove a toss WRONG?

What's WRONG with a coin toss?

As for spinning in the air for eternity, that is pretty much ruled out by the existence of gravity, which has nothing to do with predicting anything.

Does that help you?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

To prove a toss wrong: to call heads or tails, and be wrong.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Okay. You appear to me to be asking the following question: supposing you could do some magic, by which you could predict with 100% accuracy the result of a coin toss (and thereby "call" the toss incorrectly every time), would that same magic allow you to break the laws of physics and make the coin levitate indefinitely, contrary to the normal gravitational situation?

My answer in that case would be: it's your fantasy. You get to determine what would happen in your private Land of Make Believe.

P.S. On the other hand, it would, in principle, be possible to conduct a device that could predict the motion of the coin with 100% accuracy, based on the laws of physics, as long as it was allowed to observe the toss in sufficient detail, up to the point where the coin left the hand. Such a machine could be instructed to predict the result of the toss (heads or tails) 100% wrongly, every time. However, that machine would not also be an anti-gravity device.

Do you still have questions, or does the above help solve your issue?

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

you are referring to string theory ?

9. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Hello again.

Thanks for your reply James R. You are correct with your statement of my theory. Should one be able to predict with one-hundred-percent accuracy the outcome of a coin-toss, and call every toss wrongly, then would the coin remain spinning in mid-air, unable to land, having been called wrongly, for eternity.

I agree with you James R, such an ability would not defy gravity. The coin would probably just land, wrongly. It was just a thought.

Rainbowsingularity, I'm uncertain whether I'm referring to string theory or not. In what way do you mean?

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm referring to the opening post. Ask TheFrogger what he meant - if he even knows.

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019