Total Energy

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by ammiette, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ammiette Registered Member

I did a question and the answer seems like it is too big for a satellite. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Calculate the total energy of a geosynchronous satellite (one that orbits over a fixed spot) with a mass of 1.5 x 10^3 kg, orbiting Earth at a height of 325km with an orbital speed of 5.0 x 10^3 m/s.

m = 1.5 x 10^3
    h = 325 000m
    v1 = 0 m/s
    v2 = 5.0 x 10^3 m/s

Ep = mgh
    = 1.5 x 10^3(9.8)(325 000)
    = 4.8 x 10^9 J

Ek = Ekfinal - Ekinitial
    = 1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv^2
    = 1/2(1.5 x 10^3)(5.0 x 10^3)^2 - 1/2(1.5 x 10^3)(0)^2
    = 1.9 x 10^10

Et = Ek + Ep
    = 1.9 x 10^10 + 4.8 x 10^9
    = 1.4 x 10^10 J

Thank you!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Hi,

Actually, that's not so much. In fact, real geosynchronous orbits are at an altitude closer to 36,000 km above the Earth's surface, so the energies involved would be much higher.

Also,
    Careful with this formula at high altitudes. At 325 km the Earth's gravitational pull is about 90% what it is at sea level, and &Delta;E<sub>p</sub> = mgh only works if g is nearly constant. A more accurate formula is E<sub>p</sub> = -GmM/r, (where r is the distance from the Earth's centre).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ammiette Registered Member

I see but I have never came across that formula, yet. Would it be absolutely wrong if I continue to use E<sub>p</sub> = mgh since it is the only formula that is in my book?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

You'd lose some accuracy. In the case of your problem, the error in potential energy would be within 10%. Since most of the total energy is kinetic energy anyway, I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world. Still, though, it's good to keep in mind that the formulas you're using have limits in their applicability.

8. DaleSpam TANSTAAFL Registered Senior Member

Satellites do have a lot of kinetic and potential energy. Otherwise you wouldn't need big rockets (with lots of chemical energy) to get them into orbit.

-Dale