Traditional medicines and natural therapies

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Chrystiane, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Chrystiane Registered Member

It has been 5 months now that I suffer from rheumatic pain. Recently, I heard that traditional medicines or natural therapies can relieve rheumatic pain. Have you ever heard of this? Have you ever tried this method of healing? Does it really work?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaylis Registered Member

Hi Chrystiane!

Natural medicines are always the best as alternative treatments. Aromatherapy for example, is perfect to treat rheumatic pain. It can reduce inflammation and provide pain relief. I adopted this kind of natural remedy since I discovered the first symptom and for sure that it does really work. In fact, it is always better to use natural medicines than chemical one but it depends on the level of the illness.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

The benefits are very limited, actually, but can help.

That's flat-out wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chrystiane Registered Member

Thanks for the information Jaylis and Balerion.In fact, I’ve never resorted to traditional medicines since I thought it was less efficient and powerful than modern, it just for pain relief. As far as I’m concerned, the symptom appeared few months ago, I feared it was arthritis. Do you think it is?

8. Jaylis Registered Member

You should go to the doctor Chrystiane because none of us is able to tell you if it is really arthritis. However, shall we know what makes you really say so?

9. Chrystiane Registered Member

I usually feel stiffness in my body and sometimes have trouble moving around.

I don’t really know if it is arthritis but some of my acquaintances said it is, I'm scared of this idea since I heard that it can kill if it is not well-treated.

10. Jaylis Registered Member

You’ll have to take into account that if your pain is chronic and really bad, it maybe arthritis. You said that you have trouble moving, it is among arthritis symptoms if I am not wrong; however you should go to the doctor because he is the one who can assess the symptoms.

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Never, ever let your friends diagnose you! (Unless you have doctor friends, of course.)
    There can be many reasons for your symptoms, including a simple mineral deficiency or food allergy... as well as something life-threatening that requires immediate attention. Get thee to a GP; get the blood-work and x-rays done, before you consider any kind of treatment.
    Some alternative medicine is helpful; most of it is harmless as well as useless; some, downright dangerous.

12. Chrystiane Registered Member

Thanks Jaylis, I noticed that you enjoy reading, do you? I went to the section of Art and culture and saw the book “the most powerful and efficient medicinal plants “, do you have a collection of that kind? Perhaps any books which deal with traditional medicines.

For sure Jeeves, I went to the doctor last week; he said that it wasn’t too casual but I have to check from time to time, he prescribed some treatments.

13. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Natural remedies are about finding out the problem. While typical medicine is just about stopping you feeling pain.

There are things you can do, but no one will tell you. Its like cancer cures, they are out there and you will not be told how, its something you have to do for yourself.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Vaccines and antibiotics--the most important modern medical technologies--are not mere analgesics. Before they were developed, infant mortality was 80% and life expectancy at birth was ten years.

Of course at the same time (the end of the 19th century and the early decades of the 20th) there were other technologies that reduced infections (and other illnesses), including covered sewers, running water, wrapped food and the automobile. (Before cars, the streets of every large city were shin-deep in horse manure, a perfect fly nursery and bacteria culture.) So engineers share the recognition with scientists.

In any case, before modern scientific medicine and public health engineering, the probability was 4:1 that you would not have lived long enough to write that post. So please be grateful that you weren't born 100 years earlier, when all you would have had were the same natural remedies people had in the Stone Age.

In no way do I mean to demean them and the traditional healers who figured out how to use them (usually by testing them on themselves, often with disastrous results), but their potency was quite limited. Don't for a moment think that the medicine woman of any Paleolithic tribe would not have traded her life for a supply of modern medicines for the people she loved.

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Today "traditional" or "alternative" medicines are (for the most part) those that don't work. If they could pass clinical trials they would be called modern medicine.

16. Jaylis Registered Member

Yes, I do Chrystiane. I have a huge collection; however I don’t have much time to read all of them. This one may interest you for example “The secret of traditional medicines” an edition of the health publishing company. I haven’t read it yet but it will help you.

I’m for what andy said “it’s something you have to do for yourself”. In fact, it’s up to you Chrystiane but before resorted to it, you’ll have to check its reliability; not all the medicines are reliable.

17. Chrystiane Registered Member

So, what should I do according to you andy, Fraggy, seattle, and Jaylis? I should resort to natural and traditional medicines as alternative medicines or not? Of course, I’m not going to stop my treatments.

Thank you Jaylis for “The secret of traditional medicines” the health publishing company, I‘ve ever had an overview of the book; it is really interesting and very helpful.

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Hi Chrystiane,
    Different pains mean different things, and should be managed in different ways.
    A healer should approach your pain by first finding out about you, your pain, and the relationship between you and your pain. Before considering what treatments might be appropriate, they should start with a conversation that includes questions like these:

What do you mean by rheumatic pain?
    Where on or in your body do you feel it?
    What does it feel like? (eg is it like stabbing, burning, crushing, a deep aching, or something else?)
    How severe is it? (Compared with other pains you've had, like stubbing your toe, bumping your head, stepping on lego, ate-too-much belly ache, getting a needle, ...)
    Is it there all the time, or does it come and go in episodes? If episodes, when, how long, how often?
    Does it ever wake you up at night?
    Does moving help, or make it worse?
    Does it hurt to touch or press on the painful part of your body?
    Is there any body position that make the pain worse or better?
    Is there anything else that makes it better or worse?
    How does the pain affect your life?
    How have you felt emotionally over the last few days, weeks, months, and years?
    Do you have an ideas about what is causing your pain?

Are you otherwise well?
    What do you do for work and leisure?
    Do you have family or pets? Are they well?
    Have your parents or any close relatives had cancer, diabetes, heart disease, mental health conditions, or other serious illnesses, particularly while they were young-to-middle aged?
    How much has your weight changed in the last year?
    How much exercise do you get?
    What kind of foods do you eat?
    Do you regularly use any medicines, herbal remedies, eyedrops, inhalers, tonics, creams, or ointments?
    How much nicotine, alcohol, and other recreational drugs do you consume or use?
    Have you had any surgeries?
    Have you been a hospital patient for anything else?

19. francescakat Registered Member

Try reading Dr.Joel Wallach books.

20. Jaylis Registered Member

Traditional medicines or natural remedies can only be used as alternative medicines but you should mainly ask your doctor since we all know that not all natural or traditional medicines are effective enough to treat pain or whatever diseases.