Translations of Tao Te Ching

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by moonman, Feb 2, 2003.

1. moonman Registered Senior Member

I've been looking to read this, but the Swedish translations I find at the library are to the best of my knowledge, unacceptable.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So I want to find a translation from the internet,
    Can someone recomend a translation (english) of Tao Te Ching that you consider to be the 'best' that you've read?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Learn the orignal language.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Screw that. English is way better.

9. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Well English is probaly better for books originaly written in english. It seems to me that you tend to lose some of the orignal intent of the work. The languges are very different. They express meanings and understandings differently. I personally think that Mandarine/Cantonesse are great languages for expressing intangible things (Mind you I have shallow knowledge on the subject so I could be wrong).

10. moonman Registered Senior Member

Ok thanks alot for the links guys,

Empty,
    I would soo love to learn the language, infact mandarine is at the top of my list of languages to learn.
    But I understand that even the original work has been translated so many times over the ages that the exact original content is lost, but maybe thats into different languages, don't know.

11. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Probably but you'd probably get a better idea from Mandarin. My one concern with many taoist texts is allot of them aren't translated by practitioners but by scholars. So the meaning can get a bit misconstrued. As I am sure you know the words are ment to be beyond words.