Treatment keeps girl child-sized

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by S.A.M., Jan 4, 2007.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No ....'cause there are already laws against such actions.

But if you're really being somewhat serious, then I'd have to say again, no. The reason being that we can do nothing about UNTIL the act is actually accomplished and done. That's what's called "freedom", and it includes the freedom to kill and eat ones own child. Afterward, of course, there might be consequences for it, but one has the freedom to do it ....and we can't stop it because we have "freedom".

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

I have a twisted law question, if someone dies of natural causes and the family decides to eat them(I know it sounds irritating), what are the ramofications in terms of civil rights?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Had you bothered to read my opinion on this, you'd have realised that I am not blaming the parents. I can see why they did it and I can also see and understand why it is wrong to do something like this. But I am not in any position to judge them for their actions and I hope like hell I never have to find myself in the position where I'd have to find myself even considering something like this. I find it horrific that they did it and I find it horrific that they felt they had to resort to it due to their predicament and the fact that there is not enough help out there for people in their situation. To be honest, I don't want to have to think about why they'd consider it because I don't want to have to put myself in their position. Its stories like these that keep me up at night thinking what if the child I'm carrying is that sick and disabled, what would my husband and I do.. etc..

Anywho..

You are arguing this point from a personal perspective. For example, you say if you had a procedure on your own body. Well that's fine for you. This case involves having such a procedure on another individual. An individual that was unable to communicate their consent or be aware of what was happening to them. What if you find yourself incapacitated one day and someone decides to literally experiment on you by removing your limbs (as an example) to make caring for you easier. What happened to this little girl is in the same realm. She had her growth stunted and surgeries performed on her so she would simply not grow so she could be cared for more easily by her family.

Do you think there should be laws now stopping doctors from doing procedures like this on young children, to prevent them and stop them from doing it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I think you'd find that in most countries, it is illegal to tamper with a corpse to such an extent.

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

I have been thinking that I SO do not want the camel's nose in the door on this thing.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I did, and I saw that. But my post wasn't pointed at you personally. I just responded to what was said and how I felt at that moment. Apologies if I steppe on your toes.

Well, they could be asked, then we could sit around and not give them any food or water until they made some decision. Or, of course, a better option is to ask the caregivers ...who have taken it upon themselves to care for the "vegatable" and are usually in a better postion to make such decisions. I mean, afterall, don't they make decisions for her every single day, day in, day out? Who better to ask?

I would have to ask you, Bells, ...why would I care? And I mean that sincerely. I have a living will which is pretty specific about letting me die ..even to the point of withholding food and water. My biggest worry is that my executor won't actually have the guts to carry out my wishes ...and if he don't, then when I meet him in hell, he's in big, big trouble!!

I'm assuming, of course, that ye're talkin' about the girl in the original post, right? If so, I think decisions like this should be left up to the caregivers and their doctors (which I assume would also be under the realm of a hospital "ethics committee").

I think for the rest of us, we should keep our noses out of it ...unless, for example, we're willing to personally step in and care for the girl for the rest of her life. Are we that concerned? Ahh, probably not ....but we sure want to tell others what to do and how to do it, don't we?!

And I sincerely hope that you never have to face anything even remotely similar to it, Bells. I wish you and your baby the best in everything. Women and babies own a large part of my crusty, mean, nasty, old heart!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but people do illegal things all the time, Bells, every day, every night, day in, day out. "Illegal" only means something when the suspects are caught and the evidence is clear. Other than that, in most western nations, we're perfectly free do to any activity that we want, including those that are against the law.

Baron Max

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

If I had a pillow angel, I'd just euthanasia it, would have to find away around the law.