Trump seeks a 'major investigation' into voter fraud

Discussion in 'Politics' started by origin, Jan 25, 2017.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

What a waste of time, effort and tax payers money. I guess he wants to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he lost the popular vote. WTF, is this really happening...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Really?

Trump wants an investigation into the election?

By all means. Remember, Trump, you asked for it.

joepistole likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Meanwhile, he's cutting science funding and re-opening CIA black-site prisons. Call me crazy, but this guy is starting to look like kind of a huge asshole.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

In lying about the election results, Trump has managed to get is pee pee stuck in a very unpleasant space. So he is being forced to call for an investigation. The press began asking, if Trump really thinks there are 5 million illegal ballots out there as Trump has repeatedly alleged, if our election system is that bad, then why is it Trump hasn't called for an investigation? So now he's asking.

He's not serious. The investigation will die in the Justice Department. The investigation's only purpose is to keep the press off his ass.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Let's see, I welcome it. It will show nothing significant and he'll have to shut up about it. I fear this is all part of a future voter suppression program.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think it's just another case of Trump saying anything and doing anything which he feels advances or protects his cause. He got his privates caught in a wringer, and now he is trying to save his ass.

I think you are correct; Republicans will attempt to use this as an opportunity to further their voter suppression efforts. When have they not? It will be a part of their ongoing voter suppression efforts.

But Trump won't shut up until the day he dies. That's not his style. Trump loves the attention; he needs the attention.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Why do you think that? Once it is completed, he will talk about all the vote fraud it found and about how he will be overseeing future elections to make sure this never happens again.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

He has a celebrity mentality.

And it's effective as long as enough of the American people see it that way too.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Priority and Prerogative

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Via Stein and Calderone↱ for HuffPo:

White House press secretary Sean Spicer confirmed on Tuesday that his boss, the president of the United States, is a committed conspiracy theorist.

There is no other way to interpret what transpired at Spicer's daily briefing. On repeated occasions, reporters asked him why Donald Trump continues to argue that 3 to 5 million undocumented immigrants voted illegally in the 2016 election. And on each occasion, Spicer responded that Trump says it because he believes it to be true.

“The president does believe that,” Spicer told one reporter.

It's a “longstanding belief,” he told another.

“He's believed this for a long time,” he said to a third.

There is no evidence that millions of votes were cast illegally. In fact, multiple outlets and fact checkers have called such allegations bunk … repeatedly.

Friersdorf↱ for The Atlantic:

While losing the Electoral College, Hillary Clinton earned roughly 3 million more votes than President Donald Trump during the 2016 presidential election. And he cannot stand it.

Trump drew widespread, warranted criticism Tuesday for his repeated, false claim that the November election was compromised by fraud on the order of millions of votes, a claim made all the more surreal by the fact that Trump actually won the election he's complaining about, alongside Republican majorities in both the House of Representatives and Senate.

The irresponsible falsehood caused Jake Tapper to declare on CNN Tuesday night that if the president really believes America's entire election system was so thoroughly compromised, he would be duty bound to investigate the matter and fix the problems, rather than erratically complaining about them in arbitrarily timed rants. Of course, Tapper repeatedly noted, there is absolutely no evidence for Trump's claims.

On Wednesday morning, as if in response to CNN, Trump said this on Twitter:

I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states, those who are illegal and even, those registered to vote who are dead (and many for a long time). Depending on results, we will strengthen up voting procedures!

And Concha↱ for The Hill:

GQ special correspondent Keith Olbermann has called on President Trump to resign after less than one week in office.

“It's time for Donald Trump to resign as president," Olbermann said on "The Resistance," an online GQ video series. "Admittedly, it's been an interesting couple of days. But for any patriotic American capable of adding two and two and not getting one-and-a-half million, this is enough."

"This man is not of sound mind," Olbermann added, cautioning that Trump remaining in office could mean "the end of civilization."

Olbermann's call for Trump's resignation comes after Trump's spokesman reiterated Trump's belief in a baseless claim that as many as 3 million illegal votes were cast in the 2016 election.

Concha goes on to note that Olbermann has a history of calling for presidents to resign. Meanwhile, over at The Atlantic, Friersdorf reminds, "there is precedent for Trump fixating on a falsehood for years on end, doubling and tripling and quadrupling down, despite an utter lack of evidence, and then, upon finally beginning to acknowledge that his inane allegations were unfounded, asserting that we should really be thanking him for his efforts", and reminding that instead of fulfilling his duties as President of the United States, Donald Trump "is instead spending time on conspiracy theories, as if his vanity cannot handle the fact that he lost the popular vote".

Which, of course, is extraordinarily inappropriate for its insensitivity to the Trump minority; this is, after all, #WhatTheyVotedFor. We should show greater respect for the administration's right to disagree with facts↱.

Notes:

Benen, Steve. "Trump won't let go of one of his most important lies". msnbc. 25 January 2017. msnbc.com. 25 January 2017. http://on.msnbc.com/2jqbrSE

Concha, Joe. "Olbermann: Trump 'not of sound mind,' must resign". The Hill. 25 January 2017. TheHill.com. 25 January 2017. http://bit.ly/2jfvShF

Friersdorf, Conor. "The Conspiracy Theorist in the White House". The Atlantic. 25 January 2017.TheAtlantic.com. 25 January 2017. http://theatln.tc/2kts1i3

Stein, Sam and Michael Calderone. "Trump Spokesman Confirms Trump Is A Conspiracy Theorist". The Huffington Post. 24 January 2017. HuffingtonPost.com. 25 January 2017. http://huff.to/2jSjpm5

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

What do you mean, "starting"?

origin and pjdude1219 like this.
  14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

In the UK, some of us are wondering if this presidency will implode. He's going to learn he can't run the USA like the autocratic CEO of one of his lousy property companies. He'll have the other pillars of the constitution against him. The lawsuits have already started, he's p1ssed off the press with gratuitous and easily exposed lies about the turnout for his inauguration, and the legislature won't be pushed around - they've already started on the Russian connection. And now he's trying to censor the EPA (cue mass resignations and demos of scientists?) over climate change. There's got to be a free speech challenge before long.

I just don't see the United States accepting a takeover by these neo-brownshirts, with their "alternative facts", passively. I would imagine quite a few journos will be re-reading about Woodward and Bernstein and dusting off their notebooks. It calls for that. There is a lot at stake and I am sure they will know it.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

So, how long has this bloke been President? How much longer has he to go?

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Not long, and too long.

It appears Trump only wants to investigate the states he lost. He doesn't want to investigate Republican states.

The guy is so blatantly shallow you have to laugh.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I totally and whole heartedly agree!

I've been laughing for the last 12 months or so listening to his rhetoric.

18. Oystein Registered Senior Member

A staple in science fiction is a future dystopia where global companies rule the Earth -- not governments. This is the beginning. A large percentage of the American people think that this guy is the answer. It's no coincidence that the US is at the bottom of the education ladder when compared to all other 1st and 2nd world countries. Notice how the markets are up today, setting new records. It's the time of the corporation. Bye, bye citizens.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

By launching an investigation into voter fraud, he preempts the incoming launch of an outside investigation into electoral fraud and voter suppression - that issue has not gone away, and Trump would be well advised to keep it in house.

And if he can get the opposition media to all join a chorus of "conspiracy theory" about the entire topic, so much the better.

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

We just found out the evidence he is using to support his claims of fraud. On Monday he went to a reception and someone asked him about the voter fraud thing. He explained that his friend, Bernhard Langer, was not allowed to vote, while two suspicious-looking people near him (i.e. Hispanics) were allowed to cast provisional ballots. So therefore there is voter fraud.

Bernhard Langer is a German citizen.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/...ps://t.co/MU5TAHryYL

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Ok, you have a point - but I can wave my hands and say that by "Trump" I was referring to his administration, same as we say "Reagan" for stuff that was planned by his staff while he was napping.

Bannon for sure, and probably Priebus, and Trump's son in law, and so forth, want to be in front of any voter fraud investigation. They aren't under any illusions about what happened in Michigan, or the actual operations of crosscheck, or the like.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Voter fraud!? No..the only way Trump will find satisfaction will be to call another election .... oops what did I just type.... another erection.. yep another election that will settle the size issue once and for all...

"Hey Spivy, yeah you down there, can you talk to the boss and tell him that for him to demonstrate that he is the biggest the best, the most awesome, he needs to call a fresh election and prove it easily.... "

Just think the ratings .... OMG the ratings...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And then you want to cry when you realize the fucking nitwits that make up his supporters are eating this bullshit double fisted and begging for more...