Trump warns US citizens to exercise increased caution in New Zealand due to Covid-19

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paddoboy, Aug 8, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

This is the most hilarious political action I have ever seen. Trump the chumps administration has issued a warning for US citizens travelling to New Zealand.
    NZ has 23 active cases of coronavirus......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Is this bloke all there? Is he a full quid? Is he a couple of cans short of a six pack??? Do our known forum member supporters of this fool, understand his actions??
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...icans-exercise-increased-caution-new-zealand/

US warns Americans to 'exercise increased caution' in New Zealand due to Covid-19
    Warning comes despite country successfully eliminating community transmission in June as cases continue to soar in the USA

The United States government has issued a warning to its citizens to “exercise increased caution in New Zealand due to Covid-19”, despite the fact New Zealand has been lauded globally for its response to the pandemic.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=12354666
    The US Government has warned its citizens to be very cautious about travelling to New Zealand because of our "23 active cases" of Covid-19.

Despite the US recording more than 2 million cases and 160,000 deaths, the government is advising against travelling to New Zealand.

According to the US government's travel advice website, it called for increased caution when travelling here.

It places New Zealand at Level 2 on its travel advisory system, which asks its citizens to "exercise increased caution in New Zealand due to Covid-19".
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/trav...g-for-new-zealand-due-to-23-active-cases.html
    The US government has issued a travel warning for New Zealand over the country's '23 active cases' of COVID-19, despite the fact there are more than 2 million active cases in the US itself, where community transmission is rife.

As the US death toll from the pandemic surpasses 160,000, President Donald Trump is looking to reopen the country and some border restrictions have been eased.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What a terribly sad indictment on this sad excuse for President.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/08/...isks-in-new-zealand-during-covid-19-pandemic/

U.S. Issues Bizarre Warning About ‘Health Risks’ in New Zealand During Covid-19 Pandemic

Life returns to normal in New Zealand without need for social distancing, as a crowd comes onto the field to get player autographs during round 1 of the Super Rugby Aotearoa match between the Blues and the Hurricanes at Eden Park on June 14, 2020 in Auckland, New Zealand. (Photo: Phil Walter, Getty Images)

The U.S. State Department issued a new travel warning for New Zealand this week, warning Americans to exercise “increased caution” because the country poses a “health risk” due to the covid-19 pandemic. In reality, New Zealand hasn’t had community spread of the coronavirus in months and has just 23 active cases of the disease, all in New Zealanders returning from overseas who are currently in quarantine. Meanwhile, the U.S. has the worst coronavirus outbreak in the world.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Lol I guess this is at the top of his to do list, right after banning TikTok.

#priorities

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

They're clearly just joking. Or being facetious.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Poe's Law post.

You still haven't learned? Still haven't caught on to the behavior of the US Republican Party under corporate management?

"They" - you have no idea who, apparently - are clearly threatening to damage New Zealand's economy and foreign dealings, thereby punishing the country for not cooperating with US corporations's desired coercion of China's corporations.

That's a standard post-Reagan US tactic in "negotiating" with smaller nations that resist US corporate power - used all over South and Central and Caribbean America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and post-Soviet eastern Eurasia. The major recent difference is the cumulative erosion of the raw power of the US military and corporate class - it seems to be approaching a tipping point, and if the environmental disasters gaining momentum in China and India, or the military/industrial complex disasters incoming in Russia, don't hit soon enough, New Zealand is going to be somebody's power lunch.

Even Japan sees the obvious possibilities in the situations of Australia, Indonesia, New Zealand, and China, under AGW's stress. Their financial industry disaster (as the US set them up for after WWII: they never did regulate their banks; their 1929/2008 did hit in time to save the US and delay the Chinese banking collapse via teaching by example. Since they apparently cannot for political reasons reboot under some kind of New Deal banking reform they need a bailout, and their recent fit of remilitarization hints they have spotted one.

Economic injury is no joke - and the threat of increasing vulnerability to Chinese power, Islamic violence, Indonesian and Indian chaos, threat of US paramilitary and military backup, US black ops, etc, is well supported and made overt by the forty year and counting record of US dealings in similar situations.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    paddoboy likes this.
  9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Whose? Yours or mine? Or are you saying that without the winking emoji in my post you wouldn’t have been able to tell that it was a joke at the expense of Trump apologists, and that you would, heaven forbid, have taken it seriously that I actually thought they were joking or being facetious?

As for the rest of your attacks against my post (which clearly went above your head, but that’s okay)... baseless caterwauling, I’m afraid. Your general points about the actual warning issued by the Trump administration, however, aren’t too bad.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There's no telling even with the emoji. Not "Trump", Republican apologists here have been routinely posting even more ridiculous "joke" claims than that (entire threads of them, on this forum), and covering bothsider ass by claiming to have been joking about Trump (and before him Palin, W, HW, - but not so much Reagan) has become sop for the modern American Republican lifeboat outfitting (after which they routinely become offended when doubted - to the point of accusing other people of having no sense of humor, etc).

The posting is all we have to go by, and the Tribal posters (in constant alignment with their ever-changing media feed sources) have cried joke several times too often. It's too bad, certainly less enjoyable and much less informative than a discussion based in mutual good faith could be, but the only way to fix it would be to get the Tribe to post honestly and consistently and with relevance to the issues and matters at hand for a long stretch of time.

Instead, we get more of this self-parodying bs:
    So no, the emojis don't make any real difference. You have dug yourself a Poe's Law hole over many months now, and you're stuck in it - still digging. Note that you can't even drop the playground vocabulary tics when the spotlight is on them, good for nothing except irrelevant personal attack ("baseless" - except for the consistent quoting of examples and reasoning and comparison with physical fact; examples of "caterwauling" not visible and of course not quoted or even pointed to - both may be products of a labelling habit you cadged from Tiassa et al and their "screeching", "whining", etc, wordbag whenever the topic is the Clinton Dem establishment's deeply problematic political betrayals and incompetencies, or may be Pee Wee tics you picked up from Pirro and Hannity and Hewitt their ilk - one sees both sources of vocabulary expansion among the Tribal posters here.)

These pejoratives have meanings, dictionary meanings - you are aware of that fact, we hope. They aren't meaningless noises of disapproval one can apply at random or echo with credibility. One should presume, initially, in good faith, that any given poster can differentiate (say) caterwauling from sober and calm language when it's directly in front of their nose, if they try. So I initially attempted to do that, long ago - but was swamped, long ago.

So the recurrent question regarding the Tribe once more bobs in the grease on top: Are they lying, or are they stupid? (Carelessness can be either/both.)

Because it's not Trump, or Trumpism, or Trump following, or any such easily discarded as unfashionable and faddish foolery, this recurrent and for a generation now specifically Republican chump display. It's fascism, and history warns us that it's not going anywhere without a fight.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

When the going gets tough, the coward Trump attacks his prey; New Zealand, Canada and Tik Tok.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

I got a good laugh over how often the Trump apologists get thrown under the bus. Remember when Trump asked the CDC to slow down testing to make his numbers look better, and the apologists said "He didn't mean it; it was a joke. He was KIDDING! Jeez, don't you guys have any sense of humor at all? What's wrong with you?"

The very next day Trump said "I don't kid."

(Don't mine Ice, by the way - he only has the one setting.)

13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

technically ...
    a "chump" is a scam victim whom has been fooled into being a dick
    a dick move while influenced by scam = chump (of low comprehension of the wider reality & living in ignorance of the more complex normalcy of society or a process)
    "played for a chump" = (scammed by someone smarter & in a way that a common sense person should have realized)

i don't think trump is a chump

14. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

sure is a strange animal
    it would be ruled as illegal in china because it has political content
    it probably makes all its money in us dollars
    it became as big as it is by opening up in the usa market which drove it into mass global popularity in commercial dollars
    the owner had to move the company to an off shore country to avoid being shut down by china political police

now china wants it & usa wants it
    all the tech companys want it
    the users are crying like whiney babys(worried about their business)
    all the big tech giants are desperately trying to make a clone counterfeit copy so all the tik tok users and the advertisers can jump ship

and its a poster child for distorted globalism and free trade

Bizarre for sure

its like a fire sale of facebook going on and no one can find where to dump all the cash or set up the customer service counter to take all the money

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

mis spelling of clump?

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Yes, there is. Quite clearly. If you can't comprehend what winking emoji represents, don't lay that on me.
    Yes, "Trump". I was specifically referring to what someone has previously posted in defence of Trump. Not what they may also have posted in defence of the Republican party, but of Trump. You missed that. I have no doubt you still miss that. At least one other here did not. They got it. You did not.
    Then take that up with them. Telling me about it is just caterwauling as far as I'm concerned.
    Yes, the clear reference to what has been uttered in defence of Trump, and the winking emoji. That's sufficient to tell that I am not serious, that I am having a joke at the expense of others.
    That's all there was to it. That you want to mistake it for the genuine article rather than a parody even with an emoji takes Poe's Law to another level entirely. But given that others here did "get it", did recognise it for what it was (presumably given the winking emoji) I would suggest that you mistaking it is actually more about you than it is about what was said and the way it was said.
    Yet more caterwauling, I'm afraid.
    It is neither self-parodying nor bs. You didn't get it. That much is clear. Your subsequent attacks of it are baseless. You say I don't know who "they" are... yet you offer no support for that.
    You say that "You still haven't learned? Still haven't caught on to the behavior of the US Republican Party under corporate management?" yet given our absence of debate on such matter, my absence of involvement in any debate on such matter, you have zero grounds for asserting that.
    It seems you have mistaken me for someone who actually gives a real shit about US politics.
    Yes, they do. At least to those who are open to the possibility that not everything uttered need be taken literally, and who understand what a winking emoji signifies.
    Regarding US politics and Trump??? Care to evidence your otherwise baseless claim?
    Baseless because the attacks you made remain unsupported. You can rattle off facts all you like, but unless they are relevant to the point you made, your point remains baseless. You accused me of not knowing who "they" are... so support that with facts and subsequent reasoning to show that I don't know. Care to do that? Or will your attack remain baseless.
    "Still haven't learned...?" Care to support that with facts and reasoning? Or will that also remain baseless?
    Since you obviously can't hear what I can, you are in no position to determine whether or not what I am hearing is caterwauling. To me what you post, continually post, on US politics is a like the wailing of a cat. Can you think of another word to express that other than caterwauling? And given that I have labelled what you have said as caterwauling, what you have said is clearly what I am pointing to. Is that too hard for you to grasp?
    There you go again with caterwauling about US politics, as if everyone gives a shit about them. News flash: I don't! Truly, I really don't care about it. And I find your continuing wailing and screeching about it to be best described as caterwauling. Pick any post on it you may have written... to my ears that is caterwauling. Other people may find what you say to be poetry, or merely well constructed, supported, and well reasoned argument. But given the subject matter, it still comes to my ears as caterwauling.
    I am aware, which is why I used those terms and not others. "Baseless" because what you claimed about me (that I don't know who "they" are, that I "still haven't learned") are without foundation. Or at least without a demonstrated foundation. You claiming they are not baseless, while continuing to show no such foundation, doesn't stretch very far.
    "Caterwauling" because, to my ears, what you keep spouting about US politics, no matter how supported or reasoned it may be, sounds like the wailing of a cat.
    I don't "disapprove" of the content of what you say... to "disapprove" I would surely first have to care. I simply have no interest in listening to it, the same way I have no interest in listening to cats wailing. They could be making perfect sense in their own language, and other cats might well respond in kind. But me? Ear plugs, please!
    Again, even "sober and calm" language can come across as caterwauling. It rather depends upon your audience, and how much they actually care about what you say. To some it may come across more like a drone, or a mosquito's high-pitched buzzing; to others an incessant shrill waill; while to others poetry.
    What you keep spouting about US politics... to me that is mostly caterwauling.
    More caterwauling.

Ear plugs!

17. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Well, at least one person understood my post.

As for iceaura, I'm sure at least some of what he says has merit... if only I gave a real shit about US politics. But his caterwauling is like someone on a crusade, shooting at every perceived opportunity, then trying to justify shooting innocents after the fact... "well, he pointed something in my direction!" as he is unable to discern toy pistols from the real thing.

But hey, ear plugs work a treat!

wegs likes this.
  18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

In other news...
    Trump can't wash his hair properly, so wants shower restrictions eased??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53761744

What are these restrictions? Is this a widespread problem? Is it really easier to ease the restrictions than find a decent shower system within the existing regulations? Or does he have some cronies in the water or shower industry pushing him in this direction?

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

For responding to the one, basic, re-occurring, inexcusably corrosive behavior; not much elaboration necessary.

I have been toying with a prewritten paragraph I could install on a template, save typing with you guys - made some progress, but as anyone who writes carefully has discovered, broadly relevant concision is hard work. (Just saying I don't mind the compliment, however "innocent" it was).
    - - - -
    If you keep repeating that, you'll eventually believe it. Fair warning.
    You don't appear to know what to be innocent of. If you did, you would rectify your vocabulary (https://actipedia.org/project/rectification-names).

Examples:

You don't want "caterwauling", when describing sober and calm posting. It's the wrong word. In this context it's a flinch reaction or canned response to something you either haven't actually read or don't want to deal with - and it's unfortunately evocative of the concept in the mind of someone who is reading your post at the moment.

Similarly, "crusade" suggests some complexity and larger scale - when alternated with "one setting" and similar complaints of over-simplification it indicates confusion or avoidance - or canned reflex, of course.

You don't want "innocents", when faced with an accusation of careless and willful complicity. It's an admission.

You don't want "shooting", either - especially, you don't want to get stuck with having accused someone of pointedly/specifically/particularly agreeing with your own self assessment.
    ! ! Now that's funny.

That was worth the whole exchange - even if it does mean more one-note-Johnny typing in my future.

Like this: Trump=Republican, Republican=Trump. Not giving a shit about that will spare none of us the consequences of not giving a shit about that.

20. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I do believe it. As should you. At least one person did understand it. Note: that person was not you.
    I do know, thanks, and there is no need to rectify vocabulary. You clearly think I meant to say something else, and thus you think what I wrote needs to be changed so as to mean what you think it is I meant. That error is all yours in the making.
    No, it's not. Your posts sound to me like the wailing of a cat. How else should I describe the wailing of a cat if not "caterwauling". Even if the content of your post is well reasoned, or supported, it comes across to me as a wailing sound. And like that of a cat. Hence "caterwauling". It is incessant, much like caterwauling. A cat that caterwauls makes me want to throw a shoe at it, or move to where I can't hear it, or to put in ear plugs. Much like your posting. Hence "caterwauling". So not only does it sound like it, it evokes the same reaction. I get that you don't like the comparison, but that's just tough luck on your part. Seriously. If something sounds like a duck to me, I'm likely to call it quacking. If it sounds like a cat wailing incessantly, I'll pick a word that adequately describes it. Just as I did: "caterwauling".
    Sure, and if it evokes the sound of a wailing cat then call it that. If it doesn't, then don't. If it sounds like something else, feel free to call it that something else. If it doesn't sound as anything in particular, or at all, don't describe it as a sound. See how it works
    No, it doesn't suggest that, not in the context used. It simply means a vigorous campaign against something. Your level of posting on the matter, how you take every opportunity available (such as a fairly simple joke that you didn't get) to tell everyone how you feel about the Republicans, etc, comes across as, yep, that's right, a vigorous campaign. Just as I might describe a cat that sits on my driveway caterwauling each night as being on a campaign to deprive me of sleep.
    There is also no indication of confusion: if one has an apparent blinkered determination to get a message across, and takes every opportunity to press it home, it would seem that both "one setting" and "crusade" are appropriate. No confusion.
    As for avoidance: guilty as charged. I try not to get too deep into discussions I don't really give a shit about. People incessantly going into detail about something I don't give a shit about always comes across to me as caterwauling. Tends to keep me away.
    So now you're accusing me of careless and wilful complicity... with what, exactly? Something I have zero power to do anything about?
    Yes, I do want "shooting", because that is the metaphor. You do get what a metaphor is, I assume?
    Why is it funny that there are people who don't give a shit about US politics?
    More catawauling to my ears. Joy. Will at least help me steer clear, I guess.
    Please, enlighten me as to how me giving a shit about it will make any difference at all? Can you do that? If not, enough with the incessant wailing already.

Now, where did I put those ear-plugs?

21. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Iceaura means well but he isn't very exact in his use of the English language. His vocabulary is rather limited. He and his and by that I mean the woman of the house, live on the American plains where the people are plain speaking and earnest but sometimes their use of language is archaic and a bit limited.

He's trying however.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yep. Keep in mind that per Bolton's book, Trump spends two hours on his hair and makeup every day. That's a big part of his day to day life.
    And it really only has one level.

Someone says "Trump is great!" and Ice will start a two page crusade against them, full of aspersions against their intelligence, what he perceives as their political inclinations, how they are destroying America etc. The next poster says "I don't agree with almost anything that Trump does, but at least he got X right" - and Ice will give them exactly the same response.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  23. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Don't know about New Zealand but, with Canada I think Trump is just hurting himself. As most Canadians want the border to remain closed even into next year. As high skilled immigrants on VISAS are being lured from the US and US border towns are screwed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/tech-billboards-1.5683762
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cross-border-blaine-point-roberts-covid-19-1.5682789