Trump's Forbidden Words

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ElectricFetus, Dec 17, 2017.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

For the last few years republicans have been claiming they moral high ground on free speach, claiming it was the SJW left that threaten to censor the world. Well surprise surprise guess what Trump is doing:

http://archive.is/9POha or https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...dec16379010_story.html?utm_term=.e4002c9c46de

The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.
    Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden terms at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden terms are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

This is not some riot over some right wing provocateur speaking at a college, this is a direct attack on science and a data analysis at one of the nations most important health agency!

In March, for example, HHS dropped questions about sexual orientation and gender identity in two surveys of elderly people.
    HHS has also removed information about LGBT Americans from its website. The department’s Administration for Children and Families, for example, archived a page that outlined federal services that are available for LGBT people and their families, including how they can adopt and receive help if they are the victims of sex trafficking.

At the CDC, several offices have responsibility for work that uses some of these terms. The National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention is working on ways to prevent HIV among transgender people and reduce health disparities. The CDC’s work on birth defects caused by the Zika virus includes research on the developing fetus.
    The ban is related to the budget and supporting materials that are to be given to the CDC’s partners and to Congress, the analyst said. The president’s budget for 2019 is expected to be released in early February. The budget blueprint is generally shaped to reflect an administration’s priorities.

Well now that a obama era budgets are going out, we are going to see what a full trump administrated government will look like, and it ain't pretty! Even Reagan did not have this level of disdain!

The reaction of people in the meeting was “incredulous,” the analyst said. “It was very much, ‘Are you serious? Are you kidding?’ ”
    “In my experience, we’ve never had any pushback from an ideological standpoint,” the analyst said.

Incredulous, how about just plain livid? Hey by the way how goes that global warming, oh wait I mean "Chinese conspiracy"?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

There is an interesting question in that about why, "surprise surprise"?

This is, after all, #WhatTheyVotedFor.

Generally speaking, we might wonder how any particular person might have come to identify with right-wing swindle-memes about "SJW" and "snowflakes" and the like, because it's true, if people were stupid enough to fall for that, it's entirely possible they're ignorant enough to be surprised at the notion that Republicans oppose free speech in general and advocate censorship in particular.

Trump voters knew what they were throwing in with; who among the rest of us actually believes their bullshit about believing the president was going to do this or that for the average American, and all that other populist excrement?

No, really: To the one, who the fuck believed that? To the other, who was stupid enough to believe them when they said they believed that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well first of all I was not surprised, that was called sarcasm. Second, yes people are stupid and SJW like yourself helped create the reactionary counter movement that propelled trump to the white house and mainstreamed neo-nazis as the "alt-right".

No they didn't, they were blinded by their own ignorance and anger. I guarantee you they honestly thought trump was going to "drain the swamp", trump represented a totally new kind of liar that they were not inoculated in the form of a politician. Trumps blatant stupidity of saying what ever hits his narcissistic pig brain at any one moment was seen as "honesty" compared to the measured words and machiavellians of every previous politicians that has failed the masses before. Some even voted for Trump as a general burn-it-all-down vote, believing trumps offensive stupidity would destroy the old order and bring about some kind of glorious revolution. Had you actually talked to these people instead of hiding in a huge box you would know this.

This is beside the point: it does not matter, we are now in an "we are fucked" stage of affairs, really need to focus on winning next time be getting enough people to vote democrat or at least not vote for trump, we really need to focus on 2018 to get the senate or house or maybe even both back. Asking people to gain 30 IQ points and go to college is grossly impractical, so more viable solutions please. Maybe next time we don't run a candidate that is the second most hated contender for the presidency?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There's a next time?

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Strangely, I too think it's wrong to force language. However, I've been wrestling with this question for the past week, ever since the men at work were told to watch their words between themselves, because what they say might be construed as sexual harassment. My thought is, how much authority does the boss have?

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

So then you agree? It is not one or the other here, trump can't dictate words anymore than your boss.

If we are lucky.

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, if I want to keep my job, I've got to watch my words--not that they have been a problem in the past. As for the words and terms being denied, I personally don't have a problem with them, so I don't see any reason to attempt to erase them from the discourse, whether that be official or public.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well even if you had a problem with them censure would be moronic and against the very idea of free exchange of information, especially among scientist.