Trump's new "policies"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by geordief, Nov 14, 2016.

1. geordief Valued Senior Member

In quotes because of the disconnect between election rhetoric and the reality of governing.

One or two are perhaps becoming clearer.

I would be interested in his proposal to roundup (is that a good characterization?) the illegal immigrants that are as he describes it criminals ,in gangs etc.

How does this proposal differ from ongoing procedures? Is he proposing to allocate more resources to this area?

He seems to have introduced the idea of including those he incarcerates among the number he is "rounding up"

Is he going to let out "ordinary ,decent criminals " to make space for the new Latino arrivals?

Again , is this action of deporting/incarcerating illegal criminals engaged in illegality not already current,ongoing procedure ?

As for the "wall" ,is he going to blackmail Mexico to pay for the fence by "making them an offer they can't refuse"? Some kind of a quid pro quo so that he can claim they did pay but they will deny it ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

We shall see .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

I don't think he is going to do any of that. He's already walking back his promise to repeal Obamacare, and is just now realizing that the presidency takes . . . a lot of work.

From the WSJ:
    =========
    During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.
    After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.
    =========

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That take has legs: http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2016/11/how-barack-obama-could-save-america.html

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Trump has never been very policy oriented. Thinking isn't his thing.

9. geordief Valued Senior Member

Are we really talking about a very weak minded man?

I sound patronizing but I would also be at a complete loss in his situation.

If he is "taught to walk" in the next 90 days or so will he still be easy meat from there on in?