Tunnels Reverse Global Warming And Weaken Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by cat2only, Sep 17, 2007.

1. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

And I know just where to get it...Panama!
    I think we should excavate a deep ocean channel through Panama and partly restore equatorial circulation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cat2only Registered Senior Member

But those rocks don't genertate electricity like the tunnels do! And once the rocks are there they are always there cooling. The tunnels can regulate the cooling effects.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cat2only Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

how about a giant tunnel connecting the Atlantic and Pacific under Panama? It could be a hydroelectric project of unprecedented scale

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

9. cat2only Registered Senior Member

As they span the width of the gulfstream they continiously drop cooler water on the warmer water below it. The first 400 foot of warmer water layer. The water mixes and as it mixes it flows to the North at about 5 mph. In one day they can cool an area 40 X 120 miles X 400 feet deep.The next day the same thing and so on. It would take days for this water to warm up again by the sun.So by regulating how much water we let out we can regulate the power of the hurricane or restore the Arctic Ice melt and fix over 250+ other problems caused by global warming.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  10. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I hope you realize that even if this nutty idea could work you'd screw up the Gulf Stream. The result of that is that the UK would be under a sheet of ice and most of Western Europe would be too cold for agriculture.

Not well thought-out at all.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't the cool water absorb just as much heat as the warmer water? You would just be heating the ocean more efficiently, accelerating warming in the arctic.

13. cat2only Registered Senior Member

No. The Gulfsteam would be cooler in the summer which is what the Arctic Ice needs now it is melting away folks. Anyways, that is why I made them with the ability to regulate SSTs so this won't happen in the UK.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'm still not concerned in the least because you could never get the silly thing built OR working in the first place.

It would be MUCH cheaper by far to build and deploy those huge mylar space reflectors that some other nutjob proposed some time back. Even that crazy scheme would be effective at cooling the Atlantic and controlling hurricanes.

15. cat2only Registered Senior Member

Negative those huge mylar space reflectors cost 13 trillion dollars and two life times of shuttle missions. These tunnels only cost about 20 billion. Global warming is forecast to cost us 7 trillion by 2020 something needs to be done now!

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Global_Warming_Could_Cost_Trillions_Of_Dollars_999.html

16. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

And so the epitaph of the human race will read:

"They deployed sun-shades in the middle of an Ice Age"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Cute - not! If it gets too cold they can fold the things up or destroy them. No problem there.

18. cat2only Registered Senior Member

Now if the shades surface were made from solar panels and they could beam the energy down to Earth then they may have something but that would raise the cost even more.

19. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

I think the point of the shades is to remove energy from the system, not add to it. However, I suppose a small fraction could be converted into usable energy.

20. cat2only Registered Senior Member

To expensive and what would a solar flare or the solar wind do to the shades?

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Absolutely nothing if they are just passive reflectors. And they would still be MUCH cheaper than your brainchild.

22. cat2only Registered Senior Member

lets see you think 13 trillion is cheaper than 20 billion.

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

And just from WHERE did you draw those numbers? References, please.