TV's back!!!

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by superstring01, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

It's all about Pillars of the Earth, and the Clone Wars. And ofcourse Cheaters

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Continuing with my review of TV premiers. . .

Blue Bloods (with Tom Selleck) turns out to be pretty interesting. And--big surprise--there's some "mystery" sub-plot that's going to unravel. Is this the theme du jour in American TV now? Mystery sub-plots that involve mysterious organizations/happenings/etc?

Glee turned out to be a ho-hum episode. I think they are going a bit too far with Rachel's self-obsession. I know it's a popular theme, but the show did not start out with her as being so maliciously selfish. Sure, she was self-centered, but they've amped-up her solipsism for some annoying reason. Also, I liked the Sue & Will alliance was kinda' nice. I was annoyed that the dykie football coach turned out not to be evil on the inside. Sometimes it's nice to have a Darth Maul to dislike. But, it is in keeping with the shows theme, so I don't begrudge them the bait-and-switch.

Undercovers was pretty interesting. I felt like it was a Mr. & Mrs. Smith / True Lies-esque themed show. Obviously it is attempting to build on the Mr. & Mrs. Smith hoopla which is about five years old. . . but whatever. Enjoyable, though not great.

Outsourced was very lame and just a scoche offensive (well, I wasn't offended, but if I were Indian, I might have been, or at least I would have been dismayed by the lame portrayals of my people). Either way, I won't be tuning in.

30 Rock was funny. It always is.

The Fringe opening epside turned out to be a great one. I predict that JJ Abrams--in keeping with his BIG PLOT TWISTS motif--will have "our universe" version of Olivia killed off in the "other universe" and we will get to keep "other universe" version of Olivia who will fall for Peter and decide she likes our world. We'll end up with an Olivia, but it won't be the one we start with.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I do but considering I also currently have the syfy channel movie sharktopus tivoed you might want to take that with a grain of salt

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

anyone else here watch chuck?

8. superstring01 Moderator

Oh GAWD! I watched part of it. I know that they aren't taking it too seriously when they make it, but thus far Syfy has three decent offerings: SG: Universe, Caprica & Warehouse 13. They need to work harder at making some better shows/movies.

~String

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Community is a good show. I loved the paint ball episode. Modern Family and The Middle aren't bad either. My wife particularly liked the mother's day episode of The Middle.

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I think your missing the point of the syfy channel movies. they are supposed to be a new era of the b horror movies of the 40 and 50's. and Eureka and Sanctuary are decent

11. superstring01 Moderator

I know why they are made, PJ. I just told you that Syfy doesn't take them that seriously. They are filler, and their shear campiness is an attraction in, and of, themselves.

As for Eureka and Sanctuary, I would have to disagree. But that's just a matter of opinion.

~String

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I haven't seen "Sanctuary," but I watched "Eureka" for one season and I would agree that it was "decent," although it seems to have come unglued since then. I live in Humboldt County and I was terribly disappointed that they make no pretense of the city actually being our county seat. Just some generic hamlet out in the redwoods.
    You bet. There are still long lines of costumed people for the midnight showings of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Dexter was awesome, as usual. Too bad he torched his shipping container.

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It was a little out of the usual line, wasn't it? Instead of choosing deep cover and rope-a-dope until a handy propane explosion takes out his nemesis, Dex started to do a runner. And - also notable - killed an innocent man.

The new series will be at a tangent to the last ones.

SPOILER PREDICTIONS: Easy ones: Deb finds out about what Dexter's really like, and Quinn gets the stabby-stabby, or is blown up in a handy propane explosion.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In the books, Deb already knows. And that guy wasn't innocent, he was a jerk.

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Jerk doesn't warrant death by actually quite nice spring anchor. Yeah, I know Deb knows in the (horrible) books: I think screenwriters have guilt about correlation between screenplays and the novels they're based on. So Deb will know, Quinn will die, and...I dunno what else.

17. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

TV died for me the moment ads would take more time than the actual film/drama/show/etc.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Your TV must be modified to only show the infomercial channels. The standard ratio on both broadcast and cable TV in the USA is almost exactly 3 minutes of content for every minute of advertising.

It just seems that way, because in a great many cases the commercials are of higher quality than the programs--and usually also of higher quality than the products they sell! Some of the greatest talent in America is lured into the advertising industry.

19. spanglo Registered Senior Member

I've re-watched that paintball episode 4 times now, and it continues to deliver.

Quotes:

Abed: To be blunt, Jeff and Britta is no Ross and Rachel. Your sexual tension and lack of chemistry is putting us all on edge, which is why, ironically, and hear this on every level, you're keeping us from being friends.

Student: Dean announced the prize. The prize! We... we turned on each other like... like animals!
    Jeff: What was the prize?
    Student: Was?! This is not over! This is still happening! Right now!

Abed: Come with me if you don't want to get paint on your clothes.

Jeff: And tell the drama club their tears will be real today.

Britta: Oh my God, you've been hit!
    Jeff: What?! Oh no! (examines) Oh wait, wait! It's blood! (laughs) I thought it was paint, but I'm just bleeding! Talk about luck!

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't watch TV live. I download the show I want and watch it off a USB drive.

21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I loved the ending, where Senor Chang came out with the paint ball machine guns and then had the paintball suicide vest as a backup.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Oh, the books weren't that bad!

So, the FBI is going to be all over him over Rita. He's going to have to murder someone in the style of Trinity to throw them off the trail.

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Guh! They were horrible! Only the TV series saves the concept, IMHO.

Trinity - I can really see that one happening. Nice call!