Twelve reasons we haven't found aliens

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wegs, Feb 5, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

This article isn't suggesting that aliens don't exist, but perhaps there are reasons as to why we simply haven't located them. What ''reason'' do you identify with the most? I'd say for me, #6 through #9 seem compelling. I'm open to the possibility of alien life existing, but how to find it still remains a mystery. (But #1 could be a distinct possibility.)

https://www.space.com/37157-possible-reasons-we-havent-found-aliens.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I pick 6 and 7. As Slartibartfast said, "In space travel all the numbers are awful."

This applies both to the vastness of the cosmos, compared to the likely number of instances of advanced intelligent life, and the likely distribution of these instances through time.

Nergion, wegs and sideshowbob like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Well down on my list

Number 6 would be on top, space is big, and from that comes some of the other problems such as signal strength, both outgoing and incoming

Might even be we are receiving signals, but in a unknown form, hence we are not recognise them as such, hence have no reason apply any translation effort

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

wegs likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

If assumed life originates via the same patterns; abiogenesis --> evolution, can it also be assumed life will always originate in the oceans and then eventually move onto land? Is it also assumed that those planets life forms will evolve into dinosaurs? Will intelligent life evolve from dinosaurs or will a catastrophic event that wipes them out be necessary in order for other life to flourish and evolve an intelligence?

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

#9.

Keep in mind that if 1930's Earth looked at 2020 Earth with a radiotelescope they would see mostly noise. The modulation methods we use nowadays (CDMA for example) look like random noise unless you know exactly what to look for, and most of the frequencies we use were not detectable in 1930. Radio astronomers of the time would decide that it's just natural random noise. They might be lucky and stumble across an AM radio band, but those won't exist for much longer.

wegs likes this.
  9. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

NO

I would contend developing life forms would follow the simplistic named Darwin's survival of the fittest

With the conditions unlikely to mirror Earth conditions unlikely life forms would mirror Earth life forms

That being said it would not be any suprise if a dominant life form was bipedal with slightly different designed hands

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It's more than that, according to some paleobiologists. Even here on Earth, with the same conditions, S.J. Gould contends that - if we were to roll the clock back on Earth to the Precambrian (500My ago) and let it run forward again - we would not get a repeat of what we have now.

That bisymmetric critters rose to dominate life is just a luck happenstance. Modern life could have just as easily risen from critters back then with three-fold radial symmetry - or five-fold or ten or twenty.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I may have worded that vaguely. What I meant was that it seemed the dominant lifeform to emerge from the oceans wound up being dinosaurs. Now, I'm not saying life elsewhere would mirror earths, but it would be similar to how it emerged and what kind of species would eventually dominate, that they would be similar to dinosaurs.

12. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Think of the Butterfly Effect multiplied a billion billion times.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. Bilateral symmetry was only a single body plan among a dozen or more than were competing at the time - I didn't pull those numbers out of thin air. If a ten-fold radial symmetric starfish-like critter had just a little more of an advantage, it could have taken over the dominant role instead of quadripeds.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There are some benefits to being bilaterally symmetrical, moreso for active predators than for passive feeders.

Assuming that a creature has one digestive tract, that will automatically define two distinguishable ends for the creature - one end to take in food and the other to excrete waste. It makes evolutionary sense for the sensory organs that are used to locate prey to be on the food intake end of the creature, which defines a "front side" and a "back side" of the creature. Gravity is usually important to a creature, too, so along with a front and back, many creatures orient themselves to have a top side and a bottom side; this tends to be more common in creatures that are self-propelled, as opposed to those that are content to drift with water or air currents. Right and left don't usually make much practical difference to a creature that is able to turn around, so it makes for a very simple body plan to just mirror the left and right sides.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think all of them are potentially good reasons, except for the one about government conspiracies. People just aren't that good at keeping secrets.

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

We don't have to guess. There are plenty of critters here on Earth that are doing fine with other body plans. Some are even managing intelligence quite and fine manipulation nicely without the use of bones.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

DaveC:

The word "guess" does not appear in my previous post.

You said:
    I wouldn't put it down to just a luck happenstance myself. It seems more likely to me that top-of-the-food-chain predators are more likely to be bisymmetrical than otherwise. It's not a guarantee, by any means, but nor is it nothing more than a random outcome among equally-likely possibilities.

18. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Maybe they don't have the technology, or they are lower level life forms like plants and animals. Or they are just waiting for us to evolve more capabilities before enslaving us. Idk.

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I added it. It's kind of required to be there when we're speculating about body plans of alien critters.

Why?

I submit it cannot be separated from Earth-centricism.

That would be your claim, but you didn't effectively back it up. Suggestions that top predators are bilateral has been countered by

a] many successful predators are radially symmetrical - and that's here on Earth, in similar conditions as bilaterals, and

b] the fact that its kind of observation biased. We may assume bilats are a better form because they bested their competitors. That's not a given. As Sideshowbob points out, the Butterfly Effect shouldn't be ignored. (a small external advantage a half billion years ago could have turned the tide toward bilats.)

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I suppose you have a point. Although a bilateral system has some advantages, as James point out. A radial system that became successful might have given rise to a lineage that then became dominant, in the same sort of way that the Porsche evolved from a design that was not a good starting point for a sports car.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

For the reasons I gave in my initial comment on bilateralism, above.

I do not believe that things like gravity are Earth-centric. They are likely to apply to any planet.

Not, by and large, the successful predators that move purposefully with a view to capturing prey, as opposed to creatures that sort of roam around randomly hoping to encounter prey.

No. I explained why bilateralism makes sense from an evolutionary point of view, in light of various facts about the world.

Granted, I only wrote a short paragraph. I didn't think it would be particularly controversial. Maybe you haven't really considered this before?

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

A radially symmetric organism with a mouth on the top of his head, and eyes all around, does not require a front side or a back side. Nor does the mouth need to be fixed.
    And radial symmetry is even easier/simpler.

Bilateral symmetry works OK. But it's just the decision that evolution made for most land animals. It's not because it's the best plan, it's just because it's the plan that worked.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This kind of example illustrates why terms such as "anterior" and "posterior", "dorsal" and "ventral" and the like tend to be used in biology instead of terms such as "front" and "back", "top" and "bottom".

However, when you're talking about a radially-symmetrical creature, what I said about bilateral creatures obviously doesn't really apply.

My claim, recall, is that bilateral body plans make evolutionary sense in certain circumstances. Nothing you have said refutes that.