Twice the speed of light.

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Beaconator, Jul 18, 2021.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You are using an incomplete equation. E=mc2 is the simplified equation for objects at rest relative to the observer. Obviously this is inapplicable to photons.

The full version you should be using is E2=(mc2)2 + p2c2*. Since m=0 for photons, this reduces toE=pc.

So stop trying to apply E=mc2 to photons. It’s wrong and will give you misleading ideas.

* I can’t do superscripts on the device I am using. Please read E2 as E squared etc.

Ssssssss likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

We know that in physical objects it's the mass of the object that is responsive to gravity.

What then is the property of energy that makes it responsive to gravity? Energetic mass?

From quora; Arinloye Sam Adebisi
    B.Sc Earth Science & Earth Physics, Federal University of Technology Akure (2013)
    Answered January 26, 2017
    https://www.quora.com/Mass-has-two-...ted-by-gravity-and-occupies-space-Is-it-right

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Why is it so hard for you to just accept that the umbrella that covers those things that affect gravity has expended to include energy? There simply is no reason that you have to cram the word "mass" in there somehow.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

OK, I accept that. But then what is it in energy that responds to gravitation? It is a legitimate question.

8. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

But then what is it in mass that responds to gravitation? It is a legitimate question

9. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

No we don't we know that the stress energy is the source of gravity and all objects are affected by it full stop. In GR there is no aspect of an object that makes it responsive to gravity all objects must be because otherwise that would allow for something that didn't respond to gravity and then we couldn't use a geometric model.

10. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

Still waiting for this reference Write4U.

11. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

Please define this term.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Mass has a value. Zero mass has no value. Can a thing without value be subject to gravitation?

13. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

Energy has a value. So has height and width and electric charge and many other things so if value is the only requirement for a thing to be subject to gravitation then almost anything should be. Or to put it another way you are doing your usual thing of trying to deflect a question you can't answer.

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Something with a value that responds to gravity.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211379719330943#

I am not talking about photons flying around. I am talking about what occurs when a photon hits a physical surface and with what kind of non-zero value.

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Do you believe there are things that are not subject to gravity? Can you cite an example?
    Not at all. I am boring in on the pertinent questions why light is responsive to gravitation if it has no value that can be acted upon. You are deflecting because you cannot explain what you posit. At least I am asking the question. So far I have not received a satisfactory answer except repetition of the same claim.

I am waiting for your response, because you are the one making claims without supporting science.
    OTOH, I have produced supporting articles from reliable sources for my probing propositions.

Just picked up a new term for me. "Radiation pressure" Can anyone explain how that occurs?

16. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

So it's a circularly defined term with no connection to reality I see.
    So what? Light in media travels at less than c and there it has mass as I've already said.

17. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

Of course not but you seemed to be claiming that a nonzero value of something was all that was required for a gravitational effect and a zero value of something was all that was required for no gravitational effects so I was just pointing out the absurdity of that.
    But the point of a geometric theory is that everything obeys the geometry it doesn't need a "value that can be acted on" because how can something not obey the laws of geometry? You are trying to make light fit into a Newtonian model of forces between masses and it won't work.
    You haven't asked for a source so far. See chapter 4 of Sean Carroll's lecture notes (https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/) particularly equation 4.9 and the discussion between there and equation 4.22.

exchemist likes this.
  18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You did?!
    Oops,........ I must have missed it. Can you reference post#?

On second thought, does that explain light in a vacuum being affected by gravitation?

So far what I have is that everything is subject to gravitation, even if its value is zero.
    To me, that sound dubious. Haven't seen a paper on it yet, but I'll check out Sean Carroll.

19. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/posts/3682376/
    No. See my last post.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

From Sean Carroll

Lecture Notes on General Relativity

Gravitation

Gravitation due only to space-time curvature regardless of mass. Now we're getting somewhere.
    https://preposterousuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/grnotes-four.pdf

Still confusing. I just picked up these tid-bits from a cursory reading. I'll need more time to absorb the formal language.

I like Sean Carroll! Thanks for the link.

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

http://www.sciforums.com/posts/3682376/
    OK, we have mass of a photon with zero rest-mass when traveling at less than c in a medium. But traveling @ c in a vacuum the photon does not have mass? This is still confusing. Maybe reading Carroll I'll get a better perspective.

22. Ssssssss Registered Senior Member

No we don't.
    No it isn't. \(m=\sqrt{|p^\mu p_\mu|}\) as I said. If \(p\) is null \(m\) is 0. If \(p\) is not null \(m\) is not 0. Light does not travel at c in media so its \(p\) is not null. In vacuum it is.

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

And when it strikes a surface?