UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

It's not like they haven't tried to investigate ufos. I think they just ended up with nothing conclusive, like Project Bluebook did years earlier.

"The Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program (AATIP)[1] was an unclassified but unpublicized investigatory effort funded by the United States Government to study unidentified flying objects (UFOs) or unexplained aerial phenomena (UAP).[2] The program was first made public on December 16, 2017. The program began in 2007, with funding of $22 million over the five years until the available appropriations were ended in 2012.[3][4][5] The program began in the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency.[6]

According to the Department of Defense, the AATIP ended in 2012 after five years, however reporting suggested that U.S. government programs to investigate UFOs continued.] This was confirmed in June 2020 with the acknowledgement of a similar military program, the unclassified but previously-unreported Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon Task Force."--- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Aerospace_Threat_Identification_Program

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

That's probably the primary long time reason, but additionally back in the early 1950s, there was a legitimate concern the USSR could have tried stirring up UFO hysteria, to the point of overwhelming normal communication channels. Facilitating to some extent a surprise attack. The narrator covers that angle in the article.

Magical Realist likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

The Germans , other Life Forms and more than likely the US has as well , by now , ( Ben Rich of skunkworks , we can take ET home ) have Advanced propulsion technology .

Advanced technology for flight has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years . By Beings simply more advanced than we are , in material sciences ( can take the beating at going fantastic speeds ) ; And Anti-gravity technology what ever the form it takes .

In the Vastness of Our Galaxy , never mind the universe , there are millions of habitial planets in Our Galaxy alone .

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

I very rarely engage you nowadays river. But, in case you can exercise some genuine, not fake 'SF debunker' critical thinking, try and fit your 'German bells/Bob Lazar(ish) crashed-UFO-reverse-engineered-alien-high-tech' mind set, to this already posted numbers of times piece:
    https://www.thinkanomalous.com/drx-ufo.html
    Take your time river. Plenty of time.

8. river

Read about the same thing many times , so what are you driving at ? Say it plain .

9. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Aliens from some other inhabited (not just potentially habitable - BIG difference!) planet are hardly likely to be able to pull off all is described in some detail in that article! Be prepared to radically adjust your outlook. Plain enough?

10. river

No . Give me an outline of what there saying . First what outlook do I have , to you ?

11. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

What!? Just reread your very own last post!
    You already 'explained' that in #5283!
    Bye river.

12. river

Yes I did . So explain your problem with my post #5283 ?

Briefly what I read on this site . Aliens can be good . If they had any thought of destroying us they could have done so a centry , ago . Actually much , much longer than that .

13. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

If you think flesh-and-blood material aliens can enact instantaneous healing of long standing and/or even recent wounds, and further induce the many following paranormal experiences Doctor X and son were subject to, try your best to rationalize all of that convincingly! Good luck river. Don't hurry your reply. Think about it at some length. Please! Or best, just let it go. It's an impossible task.

14. river

I can't . Why they do what they do . But they do it .

15. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

But who or what are 'they' actually? No don't respond here. Take a long time to think it over. Impulsive replying serves no useful purpose. I won't respond to you here anymore.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Unfortunately for Q-reeus, there's also no good evidence for any confirmed "unerringly accurate details" of anybody ever actually having a "past life".

If you believe in one conspiracy theory, chances are very good that you'll believe in a whole bunch of different conspiracy theories.

If you believe in one form of woo (pseudoscience), chances are very good that you'll believe in a whole bunch of different kinds of woo.

One key commonality in these sets of beliefs is a lack of ability, know-how or will to think critically about the purported "evidence".
    In other words, Q-reeus maybe can't quite bring himself to believe in actual demons ... at least not yet. But since the evidence for demons is about as good as the evidence for alien visitations and ghosts, that leaves Q-reeus in a difficult quandry: either he rejects the existence of demons - which would be inconsistent with his generally conspiratorial/credulous mindset - or he embraces one more form of woo, adding to a long list that he has already accepted. But wait! Maybe there's a loophole. Maybe he can find a way to pigeonhole all of the woo under one all-encompassing umbrella. If he does that, maybe he can sound just a bit more level headed, and disguise the actual disorganisation of his own belief systems.

17. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

James R. Always good for demeaning rhetoric/misrepresentation/distortion etc. Always defective in arguing actual, relevant details. So we hate each others guts. I say so openly. James R pretends it's otherwise. What's actually new?

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hint: They are mostly weather balloons, mistaken sightings of the planet Venus and similar.
    Sure. It's especially easy to believe in something that is only very vaguely defined. It can be whatever you want it to be.
    I would ask how you managed to rule out all natural, manmade and mundane explanations, but I know that would be a complete waste of time because, of course, you have never actually tried to rule anything out.
    You can blame the scientific method for my skeptical bias, if you like. Bad science! Out damned spot!
    At least I have an analysis.
    Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. You're like the sleazy prosecution attorney who hopes he can get a conviction even though the evidence doesn't add up.
    Wrong. For instance, I pwned you on that case where all those police officers chased the planet Venus. Remember? Of course, you're still in denial on that one, just like all the other times.
    Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. I'm very happy to take your word that you ate wheaties for breakfast this morning. Nothing much turns on it if you're actually telling me lies, after all.

But when you claim that Earth is being visited by aliens (or whatever), that would actually matter if it were true. It's also inconsistent with lots of other things a sensible person like myself would expect to see if we actually were being visited by aliens. So, you'd better have good evidence for it if you're hoping to convince me.
    People "experience" all kinds of things. "Experience" is something that happens in people's heads.

So, there are two separate investigations here. One is the investigation of whether alien spaceships (or whatever) also exist outside people's heads. The other is to investigate why people believe they had powerful and unusual experiences if, in fact, there is no basis for that outside their heads.
    The number of available "raw" (unbiased) eyewitness accounts of UFOs would be vanishingly small these days, I'd venture, especially in the United States (where the UFOs predominantly choose to appear, for plausible reasons you might be able to deduce if you turned on your brain for a moment).
    Then you've identified them, and they are no longer UFOs. Congratulations!

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

wegs:

Personally, I love a good mystery, but at the same time I don't need to pretend that every fictional mystery is real in order to get enjoyment out of it.

I stand with many skeptics in saying that in my own life I want to believe as many true things as I can, while not believing in as many false things as I can.

I have real trouble understanding the mindset that just wants to believe in stuff, without having any particular reason for the belief. It seems like those people are going to waste a whole lot of their time. It's a shame, because we only get a limited time to live our lives, and there's so much fascinating and beautiful real stuff out in the world.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of science fiction and fantasy, and other fictional artforms more generally. But I don't feel any need to pretend that Middle Earth is real, or that ghosts exist, or that Harry Potter is a documentary.
    Nobody, least of all me, is saying that eyewitness testimony is worthless. The story told by an eyewitness is one data point in the constellation of data points that go together to establish or refute a claim. The issue is in the weight given to the testimony of one or more supposed eyewitnesses.

In the case of UFO sightings, eyewitnesses testimony has a historically horrendous track record. Eyewitnesses just get it wrong over and over again, in case after case when we're talking about UFOs. So, a sensible person approaches anecdotal evidence from purported eyewitnesses to UFOs with caution.

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. The earnest testimony of Farmer Bill from Hicksville who says a light in the sky flew down and sucked up one of his cows is, in most cases, probably not going to cut the mustard in proving that what Bill said actually happened. (And, before Q-reeus chimes in again, I might add that Navy pilot Fravor's testimony about seeing a "tic tac" is likely to be only marginally more reliable that Farmer Bill's, and even that's not guaranteed.)
    Studies suggest otherwise.

UFO enthusiasts, these days at least, tend to be fearful people who tend towards conspiratorial thinking. They tend to be deeply distrustful of "authority" figures and institutions of all types. The "science community" is certainly not to be trusted, since it is deeply embedded in the the "elitist establishment".

An exception to this, of course, is in a small minority of enthusiasts who maintain an active interest in the UFO "scene" for the challenge of applying their investigative skills and critical thinking to the latest "craze" cases.
    It's worth pointing out, perhaps, that there is never a "smoking gun" remotely like the one in that cartoon, when it comes to real Air Forces investigations. Typically, all the UFO conspiracy theories have to work with is speculation and joining the dots between random factoids regarding the "official" explanations.
    That's an excellent question.

The truth is, very probably, that US military has a very good idea about what all these recent"military grade" UFOs probably were. It is possible that the military is happy to let the UFO nuts have their fun, because it distracts from real undercover military operations. But, I should add, that's pure speculation on my part. I don't believe it. (See the difference?)

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The truth is, you're a bit of baby.

You don't like having your opinions challenged. You like to think of yourself as the smartest person in the room, most of the time.

You've got angry because you hold a large corpus of beliefs that you can't adequately defend. And because you're a bit of baby, you express that anger (which, rightly, ought to be channelled towards self-reflection) by lashing out at the people who pointed out an uncomfortable truth.

I hate you about as much as I hate the child in the supermarket who is throwing a tantrum on the floor and kicking his legs because Mom won't buy him a Kinder Surprise.

21. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Sure thing James R. You always get it right. Every time. Mere plebs like me are too thick and too riddled with character flaws to acknowledge your semi-divine superiority in all such matters. Now - wake up from your fantasy dream!

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Uh no. Craft of unknown origin and nature are unidentified.

Q-reeus likes this.
  23. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Only just got to read the above derogatory piece from the chief SF defamer.
    I'm tempted to sign up to a service allowing me to email Fravor with that choice passage. I suspect JR realizes he would be too busy to give it any real thought.

Came across an interesting article though trashing one that that JR quite likely got his above inspiration from, or another one along similar lines by Mick West:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/iy1upp/debunking_the_debunker_mick_wests_claims_that/

Magical Realist likes this.