UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No it isn't.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Michael's reference to the Fatima miracles shows that even multiple people do suffer from mass misperception.

This is not i-trust-strangers-forums.com.

You're entitled to your beliefs, there in your man cave, but out here it is indefensible.

I am OK with you saying "I believe those are real, though I can't objectively support my belief."

This is a straw man. No skeptic is saying what they saw or didn't see. We simply refer to science that demonstrates incontrovertibly that people do misperceive all the time.

The onus is on you to (somehow) argue that they didn't misperceive this particular event.

You'll find common-sense-forums.com two doors down on the right, between the-earth-is-flat-forums.com and invermectin-cures-covid-forum.com.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Seriously? So because of the Miracle of Fatima we can't trust multiple eyewitness accounts of ufos? How does that follow?

Well there goes science, whose scientific method relies on the assumption of accurate observation and perception.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So, what will you do if the JWST finds good evidence for extraterrestrial life/civilizations?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Agree
    Again agree. However this skeptic is NOT asking a believer to prove (eyewitnesses) to prove a negative or a claim they didn't make

This skeptic is asking the believer to prove (eyewitnesses) a claim they did make

Noooooooo way. Backed up with co-obberating evidence

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Human perception is 100% known to not capture reality.
    It helps us live, day-to-day, but is very bad in unknown circumstances. This is fact. proven over and over again.
    You know this, There are several threads in this forum's history about ity.

It sure as hell does not. Quite the opposite. Science of the antidote to observation and perception.

Observation and perception led us to think the Earth is flat. It is only when we learned to not trust our lousy perceptions that we realized it is a sphere.

James R likes this.
  9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Human perception is accurate way more often than it is mistaken or we wouldn't be able to live by it day to day. It is totally reliable in telling us about what is happening in our environment.

Yes it does. If our observation was unreliable, then none of the ensuing steps of the scientific method would work. It assumes from the outset our accurate perception of an empirical reality.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

A red herring. A statement that, while typically true, does not inform anything about unfamiliar circumstances.

You would have us believe that mermaids are real because the sailors who saw basking walrus that they had never seen them before and thought they saw naked women.

This is an opinion of yours that - for the purposes of anomalies is unsupported. It is fact that humans mistake unfamiliar things all the time.

False.
    That's why science research has to be independently verifiable, expressly for the purpose of removing the inherent flaws of individuals.

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're not being honest here.

A "believer" is not somebody who says "I saw a light in the sky that I can't identify. End of story." The believer says "I saw a light in the sky that I think was some kind of alien spaceship or something!"

The guy who says he saw a light in the sky that he couldn't identify certainly isn't obliged to prove that claim, any more than a guy who says he saw a cow in a field next to a road. It's the guy who says he saw an alien spaceship that he is sure wasn't a plane or a cloud or the planet Venus who is obliged to support his claim.

In other words, obviously, believers - along with everybody else - are obliged to defend the positive claims that they do make, not the negative claims that they don't make.

When you, Magical Realist, claim repeatedly that "UFOs ARE craft", that's your positive claim, and you need to prove it. It irks you, I know, that you've repeatedly proven yourself utterly incapable of doing that. But that's not the fault of skeptics. That's on you. The lack of convincing evidence is the real problem you have to deal with. Rather than railing against the skeptics, you'd be better off devoting time to trying to find some reliable evidence, for a change.

Of course, this assumes that you actually care about the truth. All indications are that you don't care about that at all, as long as you can feel like you're special: that you have special knowledge as part of a special "in" group, while all the "sheeple" around you remain ignorant.
    It's telling that you can go from what you think is "logical" to a stupid unproven claim about assumed bias, all in a single paragraph.

Also telling is that, for you, what is true and what is false is entirely a matter of who you trust. All heresay and stories are to be accepted, as long as they come from people you trust. Meanwhile, all actual logical and sensible questions are to be ignored or derided.

This just confirms, for the umpteenth time, that you have no actual interest in evidence.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The first sentence is unproven, but probably uncontroversial in most contexts. But the second sentence is just blatant stupidity - sticking your head in the sand after years of others' patient attempts to educate you. You know that second sentence is an outright, knowing lie, but you tell it anyway - over and over. Why do you do that?

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL The undeniable fact that billions successfully rely on their perception everyday without getting hurt or dying proves that perception is reliable, notwithstanding your feigned outrage that you've somehow in the past convinced me it isn't.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Red herring. "Billions every day" is not the target of this topic about UFO sightings, and you know that perfectly well.

Again, your "logic" leads to mermaids and God.

MR: Do you believe in mermaids and God? No?
    That's because WHEN IT SUITS YOUR BELIEFS you DONT trust the accounts of strangers.

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Don't know of any accounts of someone physically seeing a mermaid or a God, but there are thousands of accounts of people seeing ufos. Wonder why that is..

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're being blatantly dishonest again. Why do you do that?

Your claim was "[Human perception] is totally reliable in telling us about what is happening in our environment."

There - I even highlighted the stupidest part for you.

Now, let's try one more time. A simple question to you. Try not to tell lies or ignore the question, if you can:

Question: is human perception totally reliable?

This question requires a simple "yes" or "no" from you.

Go.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ofcourse it is. And I just proved it by citing an irrefutable fact. Get a grip James.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: Magical Realist has been warned for trolling or knowingly telling lies - take your pick.

He cannot honestly pretend that he believes that human perception is infallible. Not after all the previous information that has been helpfully provided to him.

Enough of this nonsense. Let's move on, please.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Liar..I never said perception is infallible. I said it is totally reliable because it is. Your car isn't infallible but it too is totally reliable. Your heart isn't infallible but it too is totally reliable. Learn distinctions James. It will spare you future embarrassment.

21. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Reply to this.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You said it is "TOTALLY reliable".
    That is synonymous with infallible.

Careful with words like "liar", pot.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

No it isn't. It means can we totally rely on it. And we can, even though it isn't infallible.