UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Did the commission report the captain of the carrier for dereliction of duty?

Having UFOs flying all day, not calling in reinforcements? not calling in yourself for your expertise? not calling for satellite imaging to be used covering the fleets GPS location?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Indeed. The actions of the commander strongly suggest that he did not consider any of the events of that day to warrant anything more a few than routine flights.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I have no idea. Look it up yourself. Here's some websites about the commission/defense agency:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ufo commission pentagon&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS699US699&oq=ufo commission pentagon&aqs=chrome..69i57.11493j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yazata:

West explains convincingly why it appears that way. You should watch his video. Until you do, you're operating in an information vacuum. Why choose to remain wilfully ignorant? What are you afraid you might find out?
    I'll say the same to you as I said to MR: if you think that West's technical analysis is "contrived" or full of errors, like Magical Realist claims it is, then point out West's mistakes for us - or at least find some competent expert who has done that for you already.

In the end, Yazata, it's not down to your gut feeling about who you feel like you can trust, or whose voice you prefer when they offer explanations. Surely you know that? If you and MR claim that West has made errors, then the onus of proof is on you to show that those errors exist. Your gut feeling - or wishful thinking, perhaps - does not cut the mustard, I'm afraid.
    Either way, that doesn't matter one jot.

Either he's right or he's wrong. Can you find a flaw in his analysis of the video, or can't you? Can you find somebody else who can find an error, perhaps? If you can't actually point to any error in West's analysis, then it looks a lot to me like you just want to imagine there might be an error. Why would you want to do that, rather than keep an open mind? Surely it can't be just that you don't like West's tone of voice when he explains things?

Here's what I think. I think that you don't want to look at West's analysis because you're scared that he might have a point. You're anti-skeptic - that much is obvious - and he rubs you up the wrong way, along with all the other UFO skeptics. And therefore, you've already decided that what he has to say is worthless, regardless of what he says or does. I think that your bias is showing, badly.
    What are you saying? Alternative to what? Might have?
    Really? You're going there, even after all of our previous discussions on this topic?

You must know that you're telling lies about me, at the very least, Yazata. Why do that? It makes you look like a guy with a grudge.

I have repeatedly told you that I don't think that the idea of alien visitation is a priori ridiculous. That would be an assumption, and I have an open mind on this. You also know that I think it is very likely that extraterrestrial life exists out there somewhere, though that is not the same as saying I "believe in" alien life. On the other hand, I also think it is very unlikely that advanced aliens are currently visiting Earth, or have in the past. Nothing a priori about that, either. Both of my estimates of likelihood are actually based on knowing some facts about the universe, about life, about science and, as it happens, about the specific science around the SETI project.

You bring up "faith". Tell me, if you can, why my refusal to accept that aliens are visiting us, in the absence of sufficient evidence, would have anything to do with any "faith" that I might have. Can you really keep a straight face as you claim that what I think about UFOs is based "largely on faith"? Just to be clear, I do not hold a belief that aliens do not exist. Nor do I hold a belief that no UFOs are alien spaceships. Nor do I hold a belief that some UFOs are alien spaceships. What I believe is that I am unconvinced that alien spaceships are visiting (or have visited) Earth. I hold that belief because I find the evidence put forward for that conclusion to be generally weak and unpersuasive, for reasons I have explained at some length already in this thread. Even the best evidence put up by UFO proponents is obviously inconclusive - or else we wouldn't be arguing about this.
    Battling the possibility of anything new? Where do you get this stuff? You've spent too long listening to Magical Realist, and your brain has become fogged, I fear.
    It's a bit difficult to post any meaningful critique of his analysis when you aren't even aware of what he has to say. Wouldn't you agree?

I mean, it's fine if you don't want to watch his videos. But don't pretend that you can have a meaningful discussion about their content if that's what you've chosen.
    I've suggested a number of possible explanations to you, previously in this thread. Too bad you didn't pay attention.

To summarise: the thing to bear in mind is that you are considering one incident out of literally thousands upon thousands; of course there will be some coincidences and dubious detections on the "edges of sensitivity" every now and then. All the "easy" cases are rapidly solved. That leaves only the few more puzzling cases. If no such cases existed, that would be the surprise.
    Good scientists themselves go through this process as a matter of course. This is what doing science involves. A good scientist has to think about all the reasons that her findings might not be due to her preferred hypothesis; she should at the very least try to anticipate any objections that might be raised by peer reviewers.

So yes, in principle, any scientific result might be the result of error. But no magic wands are involved. Errors must be pointed out and tracked down. Therein lies the beauty and utility of science: self-correction is built into the method.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

A real scientific analysis of this video would involve much more than just speculations about alternative explanations for it. It would take into account the circumstances surrounding the video. The fact that the pilots recording it saw a "whole fleet" of these objects on their ASA. The fact that the whole squadron had been physically seeing these objects nearly every day for several months. The fact that one of these objects which looked like a cube inside a sphere had a near collision with one of the jets that was reported to the Safety officer. West's myopic analysis gives the false impression that this video of what looks like a rotating top was a one time deal, being a plane or something that wasn't seen any other day. This is clearly wrong as per the testimony of Lt. Ryan Graves. These objects were repeatedly witnessed and tracked by many pilots over a period of time. And they were maneuvering in ways impossible for any conventional aircraft.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Only warranted if it proves to defy all mundane explanations and contains sufficiently high quality evidence that further analysis would be fruitful. Both of these are required.

Here, I have corrected your over-reaching words:
    Testimony is not fact.

And taking testimony out of context is a corruption of the raw evidence. The above is third-hand paraphrasing of second-hand paraphrasing of the testimony. It's useless, since it biases the account in favour of the paraphaser(s). Note how you - the third-hand paraphraser - have corrupted the above in your favour.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

And your statements about my statements is fourth-hand paraphrasing. So what?

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. Unlike you, I am not claiming to be recounting anyone else's testimony for my argument. My argument is made based only on your words, which are here, first-hand, for the record.

I am simply pointing out that your argument - as you wrote it - is incontrovertibly invalid. Testimony - and certainly a highly paraphrased interpretation of testimony - is not fact - as you tried to claim.

This logic is not that complicated.
    Either you are not following it - or you do follow it, but are merely being argumentative. I'm not sure which.

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Probably most of our knowledge of the world is made up of third, fourth or even fifth hand accounts. There is nothing inherently untrue about these accounts. They are just as reliable as first hand accounts as long as their sources are credible. It's how information travels from point A to point B. It's how we know that things have happened.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That does not apply here. It is a red herring.

We are not looking for verification of existing knowledge; we are critiquing something new, and there is a huge amount of contention about how to interpret it.

And it is interpretation - by everyone. No person on Earth can claim "that object was intelligently controlled by X".

Mince words however you want, the events of those accounts are not fact.

And my statement is not an opinion; that is an incontrovertible fact, based on the definition of "testimony" and "claim" and "second-hand" available to all, including you.

No they are not. They are edited by several someones before they got to us.
    I'm not saying they're useless; I'm simply saying their provenance (how many - and what quality of - hands they have passed through before reaching you and me) cannot be ignored.

You are welcome to believe every word of all strangers telling you things, but that is insufficient for anyone else but blind believers of everything from UAPs to God-worshippers.

Again, a red herring.

Information, by definition, is processed data intended to impart meaning. And "processing to impart meaning" is, by definition, biased.

I'm not totally negating everything you say, I'm simply pointing out that your desire to believe is making you think as if all these tests of evidence are binary - black-and-white - yes/no. They're not.

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It is important to note that we are only getting the most ... evocative ... of sound bites of these events for the sake of publication.
    For example: someone, somewhere, decided that - despite these things allegedly being out there all day - only a minute or two of the events aboard the carrier are interesting. (This is fact.)

Wouldn't it be interesting to hear from the ships' commander when he says "Yes, We have confirmed that these were merely X. I'm not sending out any more squadrons to chase down invisible ghosts."

And he must have said something to that effect, else we would have 10 hours of video from every plane in his entire fleet!

MR, do you have an opinion why a commander would not bother to investigate an incident that could blow up this 60+ year mystery once and for all? Why he felt that - if they were out there all day - he only authorized a minute of two of investigation and recording?

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nothing other than the unspoken taboo in the military against reporting ufos and taking them seriously. As described in that video I posted, this can be a career killer and can permanently become attached to one's reputation. It makes the military look bad and foolish when you report unidentified objects. Hence the pressure to suppress any reports involving such phenomena, particularly when they are so elusive.

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/in-defence-of-space-aliens.160045/page-298#post-3695934

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

But they did investigate and they did publish accounts and video and it's pubic knowledge. So the 'career killer' ship has sailed.

Are you imagining that the Commander, whose eyes apparently tell him there are UAPs buzzing his airspace "all day", is going to say "Oh, that's above our pay grade. We're just a US Navy Nimitz-class nuclear aircraft carrier with a mere 3000 trained crew and 90+ 21st century planes - and all we want is to be left alone to go about our own business. If we submit just a minute or two of UAPs buzzing our airspace, maybe the Pentagon will get bored and go away."

C'man.

James R likes this.
  17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I don't know then. It's all just speculation at this point.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. Welcome, finally, to the skeptics club. There's cookies and coffee on the side table.

Michael 345 likes this.
  19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ummmmm nearly every day for several months

Nearly - well let's put ñearly as every 3rd day
    Several months - well let's put several as 3 months
    Take away the number you first thought of - gives us a scientific guesstimate of 1 whole month

1 whole month of observing flying objects whizzing around AND WE STILL DO NOT HAVE CLEAR PHOTOGRAPHS

move voice up one octave
    1 whole month of observing flying objects whizzing around WE SHOULD BE SWAPPING T SHIRTS WITH MR ALIEN

move voice up one octave begin waving arms
    1 whole month of observing flying objects whizzing around MR ALIEN SHOULD BE AT THE WHITE HOUSE BEING ASKED "WHY ARE YOU PROBING OUR HILLBILLIES"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No.

Science is very often a reductive process. We can focus on one piece of a big puzzle at a time. An analysis of a video is an analysis of the video. It stands or falls on its own merits. West is very clear in his video about what his analysis of the video does and does not confirm. Like a scientist, he is very careful to state his confidence limits, and he does not make excessive claims about his analysis.

This is in stark constrast to your methodology - if you even have one. As a matter of course, you make extensive claims that go beyond what your analysis (if you can call it that) could possibly support. DaveC has provided a clear example of that - if another one was needed - of how you overstate your case and exaggerate the evidence to pretend that it shows what you wish it would show. This is why you're a pseudoscientist, at best.

Of course, one can and should widen the investigation beyond a mere analysis of the video, to look at the surrounding circumstances. In doing so, one should look at all the surrounding circumstances and not just the ones that support a pre-conceived conclusion that you wish was true. Also, one should not rush through that investigation and pretend that one was thorough, any more than an investigation of the video should be rushed or piecemeal. One ought to look at how reliable each piece of evidence is on its own before one considers the "big picture". That's because the strength of the "big picture" hypothesis you're trying to push will necessarily depend on the strength of all the small items of evidence that point to your grand conclusion. If each small item on its own is weak or unpersuasive, that adds up to a big picture that is similarly weak and unpersuasive, no matter how many small unpersuasive items you add into the mix.

But let's look at your big picture, again, briefly, seeing as you're unequipped or unwilling to discuss the matters I put to you regarding the video analysis.
    I don't recall any such testimony from the original reports on the Nimitz incident. Reference?

What's an "ASA"? Which pilots saw the "fleet"? What did it look like? What independent evidence do we have for the existence of the "fleet"? A fleet of what? "Fleet" itself seems like a loaded term - like you've already decided what they saw. We're talking about UFOs (or UAPs), aren't we? What's with "fleet"? Why the pre-loaded language and assumptions all the time?
    You're exaggerating, of course. There are no records of everybody in the squadron seeing things every day for several months. And I don't know what you think to add by the word "physically". What other kind of seeing are you comparing this to?
    What independent evidence, other that eyewitness testimony, do we have that such a "near collision" ever occurred? Also, all this seems to be information about separate incidents that you suddenly feel a desperate need to introduce into the conversation. Is that because you realise you're on a losing streak with the Nimitz video, Fravor incident etc.? You're just trying to distract attention again, aren't you? Next shiny bauble once the original one has lost its luster.
    No. Clearly more than one video was released by the Pentagon, covering separate incidents. However, West's analysis is relevant to all such videos showing similar "rotating tops" because, of course, the FLIR systems on the US fighter jets were all similar or identical.

Besides, whether the video was a one-time deal or not doesn't matter. Either West's analysis is right about that video, or it is wrong. You can't find anything wrong with it even though you continually insult West. Neither can Yazata, apparently. So, it is what it is. A problem for you.
    Not in the case of the Nimitz video. West has shown that and you have been unable to refute his analysis. That means you don't get to make that claim any more about that video.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Interview with Lt Ryan Graves including more details that were not included in his previous interview with the NYT. Pretty much confirms everything I asserted about the East Coast incidents in post #5965.
    Notably, the statement by the pilots on the Gimbal video that they could see a "whole fleet of them" on the ASA, which I assume is their radar, is examined and confirmed by Graves. Mick West's ad hoc synopsis of the Gimbal video as a regular jet plane with a glare is effectively refuted.

NYT article on an earlier interview with Graves:

https://www.todayonline.com/world/wow-what-us-navy-pilots-report-unexplained-flying-objects

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Referring to the above video (interview with Graves regarding an incident in 2014). Time stamps are given.

1:13 Graves says that one of his colleagues [unidentified] and not him saw a UFO in an early incident. He didn't hear about it "until after I landed". This refers to the cube-within-a-sphere story. Importantly Graves does not claim to have seen a "cube within a sphere" UFO.

1:40 Graves admits that the radar systems on his aircraft sometimes produced "phantom tracks".

1:51 Graves says he didn't see a "physical object" but just "a flash shining out there".

2:23 He says he initially thought maybe the objects were "some kind of drone thing they were testing out".

2:29 He says that another time "someone" [unidentified] saw an object go between two aircraft, within 150 feet. This is another second-hand report from him.

~3:00 Graves says that a safety (incident) report was submitted [by whom?] but there was no follow up that he was aware of.

4:16 Graves says the "Gimbal" and "Go fast" videos were taken by a jet flying off the Theodore Roosevelt. [I note that West has effectively explained why the "Gimbal" video does not show unusual manoueverability of any object.] Graves says both of these videos were filmed within weeks of each other, over the Altantic off Florida.

5:02 Graves claims that the "Gimbal" video is part of a longer video that he saw on the ship. He says the "Gimbal" object was larger than those he was familiar with, but the unreleased section of the video showed some smaller objects as well. He claims the smaller objects were flying in a V formation ahead of the larger "Gimbal" object in the video. He claims that at some point the smaller objects turned around with a "radius of turn" and started flying in the opposite direction to the "Gimbal" object. He says the "Gimbal" object shown in the released video is footage from after the smaller objects had turned around.

5:53 Graves clarifies that there wasn't a "whole fleet" of "Gimbal" objects. The "fleet" referred to the smaller objects that do not appear in the released video.

6:04 Graves states that the apparent rotation of the "Gimbal" object by 90 degrees (seen in the video) was like nothing he had ever seen. This strongly suggests that he was not well informed about the way the gimbal camera on his plane worked.

6:28 Interestingly, Graves talks about the "Gimbal" object turning "on his [i.e. the Gimbal object's] wingtip". This suggests that Graves was assuming at the time that it could be another plane.
    --------

Boiling this down, what we have from Graves is a bunch of second- or third-hand accounts from unnamed "colleagues" of his, for the most part. Graves himself claims involvement with the "Gimbal" video. However, it is clear that he does not know (or did not know at the time of the interview above) how the gimbal system could produce apparent rotation of an object on his screen.

There is no independent confirmation of any sighting of a "fleet" of smaller objects. We have only Graves' testimony about that, since there is no record of any such objects in the video released by the Pentagon.

From this paucity of new information, Magical Realist somehow draws the following conclusion:

"Mick West's ad hoc synopsis of regular jet plane with a glare is effectively refuted."
    Nothing in the video that MR posted above directly addresses anything in Mick West's analysis of the "gimbal" video, let alone refutes that analysis. Once again, MR's wishful thinking is belied by simple facts.

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Puts the whole "cameras don't lie" thing to bed. Next time some claim that military technology doesn't make mistakes is thrown up as a defense, let's just remember that it does.