UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I skimmed the first time, just reread it and …his shirt was singed, as well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So many UFO sightings have been described similarly to what he sketched. Just wish we could find out for sure what some of these UAP’s are, instead of speculation.

Magical Realist likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Have you ever tried to draw a detailed diagram of a flying saucer complete with textual descriptions while you were drunk?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing you know little of fluid dynamics, MR. Passing a fluid (in this case a gas) through a grid plate would not leave those marks. The gas would effectively be a rather homogenous flow by the time it reached him (which is why in a number of situations aerodynamicists deliberately flow air through a grid mesh, to remove any turbulence), and would have almost certainly burned him consistently across his chest rather than in discrete dots. The only way to have gotten those marks from such an exhaust would have been if was pressed up against it as the exhaust gas was being vented through the plate.
    From the clothes, and the burns, it looks more like he stumbled onto a hot grill (waffle iron?) or some such.

Maybe in his inebriated state he started to get hungry at his site, so started cooking something on a gridle, stumbled over,
    As for drawing it while observing, we have only his word. He claimed not to have been drinking at all over the weekend, but this is contrary to the bar staff at a hotel that claimed he had a number of drinks.
    He also had a motive to keep people away from the site he was prospecting, and he may have thought claiming a UFO attack would do just that.

There's nothing convincing here. Some odd behaviour by the claimant, some inconsistencies in his story, and stuff that just doesn't ring true.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

That's what can happen if you fall on to a fire.

Maybe the reason he drew it like that was precisely because so many had been described similarly? Also remember that this was the 1960s, when sci-fi B-movies were all the rage, and the saucer-design would have been in everyone's consciousness. Drawing a saucer-shape so as to fit in with that trope would be reasonably expected of someone trying to quickly make up a story, methinks.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This.

Unless he claimed the exhaust was pressed directly against his skin, he is either mistaken or lying.

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

In a case like this, it could definitely be a number of things before we should consider a craft of some kind that no one has ever seen or heard of, caused these burn marks. I don’t think however, that he fell into a fire as I’d assume he’d have other burns on other parts of his body if it were an accident.

Yea, could be a hoax. I wonder how many people who have had these UAP encounters, have self-inflicted their injuries to add credence to their stories. My opinion, if this was a hoax, those burn marks look like they could have been self inflicted and didn’t happen by accident in some other mundane way.

I’m not sure which is creepier…this type of craft existing and causing injuries to those near it (and then vanishing without a trace) or someone making the story up entirely and going to great lengths to cause their own injuries, as to be believed.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

True. But he suffered for a long time from the injury whatever caused it. It just doesn't seem plausible that he self-inflicted it or that it was a mere burn. And the motivation to do so just isn't there. And then there was that smell that the son reported when his dad got home--a pungent mix of sulfur and burnt motor.

"Michalak continued to suffer from prolonged bouts of diarrhea, headaches, blackouts, and continued weight loss, eventually seeking help from the Mayo Clinic.[1] The Mayo Clinic's report determined that Michalak was of sound mind.[12] His physical condition following the event was allegedly consistent with radiation poisoning,[9] but tests administered at Pinawa, Manitoba, following the incident came up negative.[3][15] Michalak allegedly lost 13 pounds (10 kg) following the incident,[2] with his lymphocyte count drastically falling to near lethal levels.[15] He continued to suffer from intermittent reappearances of his burns,[14] and its effects would never fully subside by the time Michalak died in 1999."--- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Lake_Incident

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It's entirely plausible that it could have been a military experiment, since it would be hard to ''fake'' high radiation levels in the alleged landing spot. Since Michalak was a trained machinist, it's worth speculating that he might have been experimenting with something himself, and it went awry (and he lied about the UFO sighting). (Although, where would he get materials that would cause such high levels of radiation?)

I'm leaning towards it being some type of military experiment that failed, and he happened to witness it. The UFO sketch... not sure what to make of that, though.

Magical Realist likes this.
  12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

One thing about making up a story to cover for something else...generally you make up something that is half believable. A story about a ufo landing and burning you and then taking off isn't very believable in itself. Yet that is the story he told and stuck to all those years, in spite of all the mockery and harassment his family endured because of it. I can't imagine anything he was hiding worth all the trouble he went through sticking to his ufo account all those years. Unless ofcourse his account was the truth afterall.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I did read his report but can't remember and to lazy to go read again

Was there not in his statement revelling he was searching for gold?

If he had found a reasonably amount, that that might be worth putting up with a bit of trouble

15. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Not really. Not all the crap he went thru.

"Michalak died in 1999 and reportedly still believed the UFO was an experimental aircraft,[3] with reports stating he never claimed the craft he witnessed was of alien origin.[17] Michalak grew weary of the intense media scrutiny on his personal life and shied away from interviews during the initial surge, writing in a manuscript that he attempted to break off contact with the outside world,[7] Michalak reportedly regretted telling the story to the wider public.[3] The turmoil surrounding the event caused Michalak to experience domestic problems, with his wife Maria struggling to aid him following the traumatic event.[15] Michalak and his family continued to suffer harassment by members of the public, with Michalak's son Stan being bullied at school.[16] Maria continued to voice reluctance in coming forward talking about the story with media, Michalak's son Stan Michalak has worked with individuals interested in the sighting following his father's passing."---- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Lake_Incident

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Notice how Magical Realist has come up with another anecdote. It seems that he has run out of ideas regarding the "tic tac" UFOs, so now needs a new (?) shiny bauble.

This new one practically debunks itself. The implausible claims about the burn pattern from a spaceship exhaust have already been quickly debunked with some common-sense physics. The claims that the burns were "consistent with radiation" don't hold up because when he was examined by competent medical professionals radiation was ruled out as a cause. The guy is an unreliable witness and proven to have lied about some things - like being drunk at relevant times.

His burns look like they are consistent with sunburn, or perhaps with falling onto a gridded barbecue hotplate.

Not much to see here, folks. But this is normal for MR's cases - significant problems are usually raised very soon after MR posts one of these. It also invariably turns out that MR himself has failed to do the most basic digging into the details to see how well they stand up to scrutiny. Other people here almost immediate find problems with a brief google search, but MR never manages to find that stuff, for some reason. Go figure.

17. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Imagine he was somewhat inebriated while cooking at his site, stumbled and fell chest first on a gridle pan he was using. Stumbling into it caused the fire to spread. He takes off his vest and beats out the fire with it, the vest catching alight and burning slightly in the process. He might also have been using his gloves while cooking that melted on the gridle pan as well, possibly explaining that evidence as well.
    I'm not sure he self-inflicted his injuries as part of a hoax, but rather he made up a story to explain his self-inflicted injuries, and to keep people away from his prospecting site.
    It's possible, but do you think it more likely they are injuries to help sell a story, or a story to help sell his injuries (plus other benefits of keeping people away from the area)?
    It's not creepy that a craft can burn people with exhaust gasses. If you want to stand close behind any jet aircraft, I'm sure you'll experience something far more horrendous. Heck, put your hand close behind an average car exhaust and you'll soon burn yourself, as the exhaust gas will be in the 100s of degrees C.
    But yeah, creepy would be inflicting injuries to sell a story of a UFO. But I really don't think that is the case here.

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It's quite possible he made up a story, made a name for himself, but by the time things got bad he may have dug himself a hole too big to get out of. Would he want to be known as a fraud? Would that really have helped his situation?
    Maybe he genuinely thought that was he was saying was the truth, and if he was drunk then maybe he was simply mistaken about what he saw, but was too prideful to admit it even to himself.
    Who knows. He took the truth with him to the grave. But in the absence of the truth, there's nothing convincing in his story.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’ve read that Michalak had substance abuse issues, so it’s possible that in an “altered state,” he started experimenting with something that no one knew about, and it caused an explosion, perhaps? He stumbled, fell and was burned. Or he did see a military type craft and was injured. He made up the UFO explanation (his sketch depicting something other worldly) to keep his secret. Guessing, but I could see that as a possibility.

My problem with the UFO claim - why didn’t anyone hear a machine in the area, of that magnitude? It seems like UFO’s are the quietest machines ever made, considering they make these secret appearances to only a select few.

But, the radiation at the site is real, and his injuries are real. We just don’t know what happened that caused either.

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

radiation at the site is real

The site is on a granite mountain

Granite is radioactive

Why would the site be radioactive?

You have one guess

I do note the actual level of radioactivity is not given or did I miss that detail?

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

This gives a good summary of events that followed:

Falcon Lake Incident - Wikipedia

Following the publication of Michalak's ordeal, he was questioned by the RCMP, representatives of the Royal Canadian Air Force, and other representatives of government agencies, as well as various members of the public and media which were interested in hearing in Michalak's account. While initially dismissive, the search intensified with helicopters combing the area. Aiding in the investigation, various agencies including the Department of Health, Department of National Defence, joined with the RCMP and Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in the search.[9] American teams, including the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization and the United States Air Force (USAF), as a part of the Condon Committee,[15] joined as well.[2] Michalak was unable to assist in the initial search, having been so ill that he was unable to consume solid food.[15] He was later able to assist with investigators as his health slowly recovered.

Initial conclusions assumed that Michalak was hallucinating as a result of alcohol consumption.[15] The investigation by the USAF ended in an inconclusive result,[1] both the RCMP and Canadian Armed Forces reports on the incident similarly yielded inconclusive results.[16][8][12][13] The RCMP report emphasized their inability to explain Michalak's physical effects, burns, and the burned circle of vegetation from the site.[15]

A substantial number of publications from the ensuing investigations exist on the public record. These include: RCMP and RCAF reports on the case held within the national archives, the USAF file on the incident, as well as the Mayo Clinic correspondence by physicians attending to Michalak.[2]

Analysis of the site yielded unusual results, including a 4.5-meter (15 ft) circle of burned vegetation in the site Michalak claimed the landing occurred,[14] and the presence of highly radioactive elements within soil samples and clothing Michalak had removed.[9][1] Metal that was superheated was found to have been melted into cracks of rock and exhibited high levels of radioactivity.[8][1][4] The anomalous readings were subsequently uncovered to be due to a radium vein which was near the site.

The illustration of the 'UFO' in the above link doesn't look believable. I'm skeptical that only one person would have witnessed something like that...no one else in the surrounding area reporting sounds, lights, etc. to corroborate his story. That's the problem with many of these UFO sightings...

We don't know much about Michalak so it's difficult to tell if he was a story teller by nature, obsessed with sci-fi, and/or interested in conspiracy theories. His story is that he thought the UFO was a military craft, and not space aliens. I'm not dismissing his claims based on that he may have been drunk, rather that he got himself into something he shouldn't have, and made up this claim. It's not that far fetched that he didn't want to back pedal his story, if so many people knew his claims. Kind of like how convicted murderers cling to their claims of innocence, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Not that I'm comparing Michalak to a murderer lol, but just saying...

I haven’t read the correspondence mentioned relating to the Mayo Clinic doctors who treated Michalak for his injuries. Not sure how in depth their reports are in terms of speculating as to what may have caused these injuries.

Don’t really want to go down this rabbit hole, but I’m mildly curious…

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Actual trace evidence! What skeptics are always whining there isn't any of.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’ve read that skeptics back then felt radioactive metal was planted after the fact, which solidified a hoax.

That sounds crazier than Michalak’s story. Lol

I supppose we shouldn’t be surprised that strange and unusual occurrences, may have strange and unusual explanations. *shrug* But…I don’t know. It sounds kind of weird.

What do you make of his inconsistent statements to authorities though, MR?