UFOs (UAPs): Explanations?

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Oct 10, 2017.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I'm not misconstruing.
    You posited the existence of "the first aliens".
    Were there or weren't there first aliens?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

I suppose concepts and practices (like justice, archery/hunting, beauty, etc) reified and personified into human and chimeric entities -- and cycles/events of nature similarly anthropomorphized -- might tortuously and archaically qualify as "space aliens" if their home or origin was construed as in the deep sky or heavens. Rather than an invisible, parallel or prior-in-rank realm of the supernatural.

But the gods abiding on worldly Mount Olympus, (and similar ilk in other cultures) -- not so much the case, especially with the Earth preceding their emergence. Those assigned to the mountain dweller or hillbilly category pretty much reek of terrestrial denizen-ship.

Jonathan Gordon: "In his Theogony, which translates as ‘Origin of the Gods’, Hesiod explains how exactly the Greek gods came into being. Hesiod’s divine-creation myth is also a cosmogony, a story of the origins of Nature and the Universe. The first gods were elemental. They were deified physical parts of the Universe, but they gradually became anthropomorphized, believed – at least sometimes – to have human emotions and form. Zeus, Hera, Aphrodite, Poseidon and the other familiar Olympian gods did not at first exist, only coming into being after the creation of Earth and Sky, which also were considered gods.

According to Hesiod, the Universe existed first as a vast nothingness, a vacant space for which the Greek word is ‘Chaos’. From Chaos arose Gaia, who was conceived both as our planet Earth and as a great mother goddess. More primordial elemental gods would follow. Eros, the force of desire, also arose from Chaos, and next came Erebos (Darkness) and Nyx (Night). Erebos and Nyx together bore Aether (the bright upper sky) and Hemera (Day). Wanting companionship and protection, Gaia herself produced Ouranos (Sky) to cover her on all sides.
    " --Where did the Greek gods come from?

Magical Realist likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

That's like the chicken-and-egg problem. Yes there were eggs before there were chickens.

And aliens would have evolved from some kind of alienid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

No - that is my opinion - there are billions of others like me who would contend different. Suggest you check out those billions to settle your thoughts (if that is what you are aiming for (settled thoughts)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I have this compulsion to grab James R by the hand, crawl out of our trench, cross No Man's Land to break bread and drink wine with MR and Yazata et al.

MC&HNY!

James R, wegs, Yazata and 1 other person like this.
  9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

James would only be dragged kicking and screaming.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well that's not in the spirit of season ...

11. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Christmas truce! I like it!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, Dave! And JamesR too!!

DaveC426913 likes this.
  12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Just kidding. Merry Christmas Dave and a happier New Year!

DaveC426913 likes this.
  13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Okay, Christmas is over!

As you were.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

MR, Yazata and Dave could play the ghosts of Christmas’ past, haunting James in a trippy sci-forums adaptation of A Christmas Carol.

15. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Don't leave Tiassa out, "The Grinch That Stole Christmas?" To the one, it would be funny, to the other, Christmas is gone and but a potsherd of a memory from our past, eliciting a sosobra-like response as we try to unpack the cacophony of the rightist conservatives tradition of the Yuletide as it ebbs away 'twixt the Kwanzaa nexus as it relates to Hanukka, 'yaknow, no, really.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

This should have read “Christmases past,” or “Christmas past.”

Hmm…

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

An account of lights seen hovering over Mt Shasta, a place reputed with spiritual/mystical energies. Doesn't appear to be a plane as it hovers. What could they be? Helicopters? Why would they hover in one place and strobe for 40 minutes? Just another mystery to ponder..

Dec 26
    Strange Lights On Mount Shasta

"A listener writes “I was camping on beautiful Mt. Shasta for five days, close to the peak not far from Panther Meadows. I was sitting out on my chair just staring at the beauty of the peak of the mountain as the sun was setting.

About twenty minutes before it got dark I saw a bright white spherically shaped ball of light coming from a north-east direction. At first I told myself it must be a drone. But as it flew slowly and silently over the tops of the forest it it began to act like a strobe light. It eventually flew over to, hmmm maybe a couple of thousand feet to the top of the mountain off to the right a bit from my angle. It basically just stopped or parked itself in one spot and began to strobe.

I just sat there and watched it wondering at this point if it was mechanical or spiritual because it could be anything. It was by itself for about ten minutes or so and then, all of a sudden three more of the same bright white lights of spheres came from the same direction that the first one came. As they got closer to the first one they too began to strobe.

They ended up stopping in place maybe five hundred feet or so from the first one. At this point I was taken back.

All four of these orbs where just sitting there for about 30 or 40 minutes flashing like a strobe light. They would get very bright and increase in size to up to maybe 3-4 times their initial size to decreasing in size and brightness to a barely visible low spherical light. I thought to myself they must be communicating or doing something energetically in that space.

I’ve had one other phenomenon of light happen on Mt. Shasta, well two others really at different times. I have been thinking about reaching out for months but for whatever reason I’m doing it now.”

https://sasquatchchronicles.com/str...ucxErC5qlcj1ehBCPmT3mzSW3-tD_GF-qAcQ8NoPT73Cc

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In other words, some people already believe some woo about the place, so expect woo there.
    Or a plane moving directly towards or away from the observer, thus seeming to remain stationary in the sky.
    Drones were mentioned, too.
    I can only think of about a thousand reasons.
    Were the stars out? Was the planet Venus visible?
    All lights look spherical if you're far enough away from them.

Venus could be visible in the sky 20 minutes before it got dark.

Have you checked the position of Venus and compared to this report, Magical Realist? No, of course you haven't. You've done nothing to investigate this, as usual. Right?
    And as we all know, drones can't carry lights that flash.
    How was the couple of thousand feet determined?

For starters, how was the distance from the observer to the object measured?

Or is this just a wild guess?
    Or it was parked by an operator. Or it was the planet Venus.
    Where's that red flag... ah, here it is. This person's first though was that it could be something spiritual? Looks like we have a biased observer on our hands, kids!
    What direction was that? Was the planet Venus and some stars rising from behind a distant mountain? Or what? We're light on detail here, as usual with this nonsense.
    Stars are commonly observed to twinkle. The planet Venus can, too, especially if it's viewed near the horizon, as it was here.
    Not taken aback when he or she first thought he might be looking at something spiritual, though? 'cos that's normal.
    Orbs? First we've heard about orbs. Does the witness just mean circular-looking lights in the sky? Or did he measure some orbness?
    Atmospheric distortion that makes the stars twinkle can make things jump around a bit. Perceptual errors in size differentiation when viewing objects close to the horizon are commonplace.
    More fantastical speculation, not based on evidence.
    So, spill the beans, if it's so important! Really! Why even mention it, if you're not going to give us the goods?

This is all very underwhelming, but this is standard Magical Realist dross.

19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

My first thought on reading that description was did the lights stop flashing after the sun went down?

I've read, a long time ago, about some phenomena regarding lights and a mountain that had to do with an optical illusion/atmospheric phenomena involving lights in a valley that ended up causing flashing light in the sky near the peak of a mountain.

It could also be some atmospheric phenomena trigger by the rays of the sun as it was setting.

This is a subject that can get boring pretty fast, IMO.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think it's time MR did some legwork on this, for a change.

The first obvious thing to do if we want to prove it was the woo is to see whether we can rule out a mistaken sighting of the planet Venus.

So, MR, here's what you need to do:
    1. Work out where this witness was observing from. If they haven't specified where they were, that will make things rather difficult. But you wouldn't provide us with such a low-quality case, surely.
    2. They report seeing lights near Mt Shasta, so that is useful information, at least. If we know where they were, we can then determine their line-of-sight direction.
    3. What was the date on which this sighting occurred? Again, if you don't know, we have a problem, and it would be a low-quality case.
    4. What time was sunset, locally?

Those are the basics. Now, we need to know where the planets were in the sky around sunset (particularly Venus). So the next step for you, MR, is:

5. Get hold of some planetarium software, or use an online site.
    6. Plug in the witness's location and the date and time of the observation.
    7. Look at the view of the sky near the horizon in the direction the observer was looking.
    8. Note any prominent planets, like Venus, Mars, Jupiter or Saturn.

If all the obvious candidate planets are in the wrong direction or at the wrong place in the sky, then you will have taken the first step in your very first ever proper investigation of a UFO.

Please get back to us with your findings, MR. Hopefully, you can definitively rule out a mistaken planet sighting. Once that's done, we can move on with the investigation.

I take it, MR, that you are willing to put some effort into this? If not, please tell me why you bothered posting this. I am interested to know.

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You're getting way ahead of yourself with that pseudoscience.

You haven't even ruled out that it's Venus, yet!

Please put in some effort.

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Brown Mountain lights, is what I was thinking of. Even I don't think whatever was being referred to was a planet.