UK Police Chiefs Ask Govt. To Declare Flag Burning a Criminal Offense

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Raven, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Raven Registered Senior Member

Police chiefs are urging the government to make flag-burning a new criminal offence, as part of a drive to crack down on Islamic extremists and others preaching violence and religious hate, the BBC has learned. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6095260.stm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Flag-burning of the UK flag, or flags in general?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Raven Registered Senior Member

I don't rightfully know. The article just said flag burning and I would assume that it was UK flags but the article was unclear on that fact.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If they actually want a law that will work, then they should make it a law that one can't burn ANYTHING in such a group setting. That law would pass because it could be considered hazardous to the general property in the area.

But my guess is that there's already such a law ...and they don't enforce it. So what the fuck ...one more law does what???

Baron Max

8. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Burning of country's flag is mainly a muslim act upon the country which they are against. It is basically a sign of war, and an act of traitorism if burned in the hosts country. Muslims have burned flags in many European countries as well as the USA.

It should be treat as traitorism, and the death penalty should be brought back in the UK to combat such acts.

9. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Generally, people do not burn the Union Jack in Britain. It's just one of those things. Mainly, demonstrations take place in London, and there's no longer a lot of British people live there -- except in the sense that they might have been granted citizenship.

I would guess that it's the Stars and Stripes and the Star of David that get incinerated most often. (Someone might do very nicely out of manufacturing specially flammable versions.) Otherwise, it is the flags of a pretty diverse selection of far-off countries being burned by groups with special grievances.

Personally, I am in favour of demonstrators being able to say and do exactly as they like so long as they don't attack people or property. We have had people prosecuted recently because what was on their banners was considered illegal. That I do not like! Freedom of speech that is limited by what the authorities do not approve of is not freedom of speech.

Flags are just these pieces of cloth, you know. We don't have to get all uptight about people setting fire to them. The law should be the same as for the burning of teatowels.

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Whatever happened to freedom of expression? Next they'll want to ban people from carrying certain books or people shouting off on speaker's corner.

11. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Freedom of expression is being destroyed by terrorism.

12. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

is it election season? conservatives often pull that one out in the US when there are no real political issues that they can talk about. if it gets you 1% more votes by portraying your opponent as someone who is for flag burning, then why not?

13. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Do you regard the symbolism of the Stars and Stripes nothing more than a teatowel?

14. stu43t Valued Senior Member

15. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi stu,

I hope you are well.

I understand you sentiments as people should not be so disrespectful and hold their host country in such disdain... But the death penalty, dont you think this is a little harsh!!
    I am not sure about your first sentence, do you ahve any history on flag burning?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take care
    Zak

16. stu43t Valued Senior Member

A little history about traitors in the UK - they were shot! - No Problem!

Take care

Ciao

17. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hi Stu,

Aplogies, i probably did not explain myslef, what i was wondering is how you base this accusation on

"Burning of country's flag is mainly a muslim act upon the country which they are against"

i do agree with you as people who burn the flags of the country they are a national of are not worth the time or day. There is a case though for freedom of speech, which was transgressed in the various US flag burnings in the 60's over the vietnam war.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Take care
    zak

18. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Police chiefs are urging the government to make flag-burning a new criminal offence, as part of a drive to crack down on Islamic extremists and others preaching violence and religious hate.

If you are still unclear, then I suggest you write to the senior muslim police chief, Assistant Commissioner Tarique Ghaffur.

He is responsible for public order in the capital as commander of central operations.

19. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hi stu,

thanks for this... Flag burning as i have mentioned above should not be tolerated, but what i am saying is that it is not just muslims who do this...

Up until the last few years i do not recall anyway that muslims in the Uk have been burning the UK flag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

take care
    zak

20. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Well of course you wouldn't Zak - turn a blindeye to it all

The Assistant Police Commissioner knows different, and so do I.

21. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Dear Stu...

thank you for this.. but i think you do me an unjustice.. I always try not to turn a blind eye to any harm cuased in the world whoever has caused it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    take care
    zak

22. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Well, suprisingly enough......It is because muslims HAVE burned the Union Flag in the UK during the last few years which has brought this to notice.

1) Muslims

2) Last few years

3) Burning the UK flag

Now do you understand?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi Stu,

yep thats fine, Muslims and non muslims alike should have the same punishment administered... I was just confused wioth you sweeping statement thats all

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take care
    zak