Ultima ratio

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Absane, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What would be the ultima ratio uttered before the extinction of man kind? (Ok, assume humans will die out.. maybe next year for argument's sake).

Perhaps religious? Maybe over something petty? Insignificant?

If we knew our impending doom, perhaps it would be over religious matters. At least that is what first comes to my mind. What about if we had no knowledge of our doom? Would the final debate be anything that would have caused significant change in the world had we lived longer?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

what movie did u watch? Relax pal. Life is ought to go on. Time flows like river full of rocks...the flow is often disrupted, but that river shall flow on forever to the great ocean were all rivers flow.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What's an "ultima ratio"?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I say the whole doomsday concept hinges on the success of human space exploration. Once we are permanently in space and living on other worlds, there is no way to end humanity....... um.....well, the next human extinction possibility would be destruction of the sun, but as soon as we occupied 2 or more planetary system, then it would be totally impossible to wipe us out.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I didn't watch a movie. It was just one of my random thoughts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It means the last and final argument, debate. It may or may not apply to THE last debate, but it's how I am using it

9. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

It will be the blame game.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We will be arguing something stupid and irrelevant when the world will cover us up with total indifference.

11. scibetel Registered Senior Member

Wait. You people really think there will still be human beings around in the universe, four billion years from now, when our red giant sun expands beyond the diameter of the earth? Dinosaurs were very successful creatures, lasting over 100 million years, but threy are gone. OK, except maybe they're now birds. Hard to believe humans will last another million, let alone 4 billion.

12. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

It isnt that hard to beleive. With technology advancing the way it is we will be off this rock within the next 100 to 200 years and with new devlopments in other feilds like nanotech and genetics humans have a very good chance survining a very long time. (this is assuming we dont kill ourselves before then)

13. BSFilter Nature has no kindess/illwill Registered Senior Member

Its really not so hard to imagine Scibetel, if you consider the rate at which technology is developing. 20 years ago computers filled a whole room for simple calculations. Now we have laptops. In 20 years we will have "fingertops".

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Before too long, the category of "human" will be considered quaint, and the lines between animal and technological will be blurred.

15. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

true.

Damn i hope im alive to see that.

16. scibetel Registered Senior Member

Sure, we will be bionic. Sure, we will advance technologically.
    But,
    1) As suggested by spiritual spy, we may destroy ourselves in the meantime.
    2) The earth is due for another mass extinction.
    3) What makes any of you think we will ever leave this solar system?

17. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

1.yes.
    2.So? humans are a very adaptable group we can take almost anything our planet can throw at us. (Accept asteroids or comets but those are even becoming preventable.
    3.Ask someone who lived a 100 years ago if they ever thought we would go to the moon. You probably would have gotten a big no.

18. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

SHADDAP SHADD'NAP...!!!

(I mean that's what will be said...)

19. scibetel Registered Senior Member

2) An asteroid is what we are due for in the next millions of years, and if you think they are preventable, you've been watching too many movies.
    3) Actually, predictions of future space travel have been way too optimistic. In the 50s, they were predicting colonies on Mars by 2000, and in 1968 Arthur C. Clark thought a manned trip to Jupiter would be possible by 2001.

20. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

there are alot of plans to prevent asteroid impacts. None of them have been tested but as i said they are BECOMING preventable. As for optomism i think its deserved. we know more about space than ever before. we are getting ideas on how to make colonies on the moon and other planets possible. Look at the ISS We can keep people up there for a while. im not saying we will get to the moon say in the 10 years. im talking more on the lines of the next 100 to 200 years.

21. scibetel Registered Senior Member

"im talking more on the lines of the next 100 to 200 years."

Fine, but you changed the argument. Here's the original:

3) What makes any of you think we will ever leave this solar system?

22. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

okay i changed the argument. We will get back to the former. We could be out of the solar system within the next 100 to 200 years but it is a maybe. It depends on how much funding space exploration gets by the global goverments and if technology allows. We would need advancements in cryogenics(Sp?), nanotech and biotech. We would also need more advanced engines. Its a maybe but i think if nations put there minds to it and put alot of resources into it we could get out of here. Ill admit it isnt likely but it is possible.

23. scibetel Registered Senior Member

One other thing missing: a destination. Certainly a trip that might last generations would need the assurance that it will end at a place that is at least somewhat hospitable. That's a very tall order, even for hundreds of years from now.