Understanding Depression

Discussion in 'Sci Reviews' started by darksidZz, Mar 8, 2007.

1. kmguru Staff Member

My whole family does. The lowest IQ (based on school tests) in the family is 160. So this may have something to do with.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Where the good begins.-- Where the poor power of the eye can no longer see the evil impulse as such because it has become too subtle, man posits the realm of goodness; and the feeling that we have now entered the realm of goodness excites all those impulses which had been threatened and limited by the evil impulses, like the feeling of security, of comfort, of benevolence. Hence, the duller the eye, the more extensive the good. Hence the eternal cheerfulness of the common people and of children. Hence the gloominess and grief - akin to a bad conscience - of the great thinkers.

from Nietzsche's The Gay Science, s. 53, Walter Kaufmann transl.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I don't feel so good. I am sad, I got no friends, do you know why? I wonder what'll happen to me in the future... I got Asperger's Syndrome, or a slight case of that... unfortunately for me I got the worst aspects, I go no real education, no future, no social group... god I want Zoloft and somethin to make me normal

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

beat something up, it does wonders.

peace.

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Zoloft, huh? Can't you get a prescription?

9. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I was on Zoloft, I got kinda tied up at work here and before I knew it I'd discontinued using it. Honestly I can't tell much difference, except now when I'm awake I realize I want more out of life, like sex. The Zoloft was good for 1 thing though, it kept me from worrying to much about getting some, I would go back to my psychiatrist but he's retired now and someone else took his place, lol That's around the time I was outted cuz work was getting busy. You see I sit on my ass all day, it's easy, but there's nobody else left to do the same thing, thus I am stuck here and basically control the entire center operations. It seems cool but really it's lonely, gives me time to hear females laughing together, and I wonder if they're doing more... lol

God... I'm not so much depressed as just kinda isolated, and isolation is not cool, even the forum here is boring now when once I found it fun.

10. ntgr Registered Senior Member

For me the following helped:
    cognitive-behavioral therapy
    good nutrition
    talking with friends and family (a lot)
    exercise
    reading

You know, the forum is the same, it is your emotions that are differrent. Experiment with different things to find out what makes you happier. I promise you you will find something. Best of luck

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Most people can not grasp the simple concept that "depression" and "sadness" are not the same thing.
    Being sad is not being depressed.
    When you are depressed, you don't feel sad - you don't feel anything.

Sad people should NOT be on anti-depressants - this is why they don't work for them - this is why they are unhealthy for them - this is why they commit suicide on them.
    Sad people don't need drugs - it is a situational or mental problem that should be dealt with, and being on shit like Prozac, makes it worse.

12. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

this is my exact problem at the moment.
    i have been ill for about 11 months now,it kinda started out of the blue.i just have a fuzzy head all the time.ive been going to a shit load of doctors and a few of them mentioned depression but because i didnt actually feel sad and because they didnt press it,i ignored them.
    recently i went to see a doctor who explained it fully to me,that there is a chemical imbalance and i cant either take drugs to solve it or commit to a regular exercise regime (i stopped going to the gym after i got ill because it made me feel like i was going to die)
    after a particularly bad week i picked up the meds but after looking at the side affects,decided not to take them.

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What kind of chemical imbalance disorder did doc say you had?

About a year ago I started having real trouble focusing at work. I was fidgety and very irritable. My doc diagnosed me with ADHD (which is also a chemical imbalance). The shitty thing about ADHD is not only do you have to deal with the ADHD symptoms, if it goes untreated for long enough, it can also cause anxiety and depression. Which it has, especially after this girl I'd been talking to for six months online brushed me off after our first date.
    But anyway, after Strattera and Wellbutrin(which is an anti depressant)) failed, she put me on Daytrana (which has pretty much the same shit in it as ritalyn in a patch). It seems to work well.
    I know how you feel about the meds and side effects. That's why Strattera didnt' work for me. I'd recommend going back to the doc and trying different meds until you find one that works for you. Different people can react quite differently to medications.

14. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i honestly cant remember the name of the chemical.the on that controls brain function?
    the drug he gave me was paxil,the literature i found on the internet about it was super scary.stuff like...permenant libido loss...
    i am very fond of my mind and really dont want to risk it to medication.
    one night when i was drunk i took one of the paxil (i know,really stupid).and i was fucked up,i was blubbing like a baby (i havent cried since i was 14-15) and for the next couple of days i had no libido and my mind was a fog.
    i think i am going to try the exercise thing,the only problem with this is i recently fucked my ankle up quite badly playing basketball so i cant go running or anything...

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I spent YEARS of going to doctors who kept telling me I was depressed and trying LOTS of meds for that.
    They were ALL treating the symptoms, not the problem (which is what is wrong with most shrinks today).
    I finally did a lot of research and diagnosed myself with ADHD.
    I spoke with a doctor and he agreed (the ADHD effects caused my depression - among other mental/emotional reasons that I had to find myself through introspection and meditation).
    Ritalin worked wonders for me, but I have since stopped - replacing it with a healthier diet, meditation, introspection, more exercise (though still not enough) and, most importantly, no smoking.
    In my research I found a lot of evidence that smoking greatly exascerbates ADHD symptoms (not to mention making depression worse, because cigarettes drain you of emotions, partly by ramping up dopamine production in your brain).
    I have been hyperactive and had difficulty concentrating since I was a child, but the cigarettes made the situation SO MUCH worse.

Do you smoke, mike? kenworth?

16. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

yeah i do.,
    what are some of the symptoms of ADHD?
    my symptoms started fairly suddenly.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Just google for ADHD or Adult ADHD.
    There's TONS of information available.

Essentially it is an inability to focus on one thing and keep your focus there(or finding great difficulty in it).
    Your mind jumps tracks easily - to the point of detriment.
    You always have many things on your mind at once - you can't turn your mind off nor can you focus on any one thing.

I highly recommend you quit smoking.
    Smoking a cigarette ramps up your brains production of Dopamine, which feels good and drains all "negative" emotions.
    The Dopamine production drops off suddenly once you finish the cigarette, so you are left depressed.
    That, on top of the fact that nicotine is a stimulant and the smoke robs your body of oxygen and makes you feel tired all combine in causing depression and hyperactvity of your mind.
    The nicotine forcing your brain to manufacture Dopamine throws off your brains normal Dopamine production, so that also adds to the depression and leads to the nicotine addiction.
    It's all a nasty downward spiral.

18. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

pretty much my only symptom at the moment is that i feel like ive just woken up at 5pm all the time.ie.fuzzy head,numbness,bad memory

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Actually once she diagnosed me, a lot of things that had happened in my life had become clear as to why I reacted the way I did in certain situations.

I give mom the credit for taking the initiative to catch my behavior when I -was younter, and take me to the doctor to get it treated.

Anyway, from the CDC website:

Raven, do you take any meds?
    As for stimulants, that is one of the most popular types of meds given to ADD/ADHD patients.
    Believe it or not, aside from this stuff that I'm taking now, pot does a good job of slowing my mind down so I can relax a bit. The only downside to that is it also takes away my ambition and motivation to do anything other than sit on the couch and laugh at Comedy Central programs!

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

By the way, I have yet to have any doctor or scientist show me evidence that chemical imbalance in the brain necessarily causes depression, as opposed to depression causing a chemical imbalance in the brain.

21. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Somebody mentioned Welbutrin in a previous post. Did it make your ears ring all the time? Some days my ears ring like I've been to a rock concert the night before, and it's not my allergy medicine.

I take it for smoking, but it's not really helping. There's something new out for quitting smoking that's supposedly the best thing ever marketed for that purpose, but the name escapes me at the moment.

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

That was me. And it actually didn't do a damn thing for me, no effects or side effects. My supervisor Mark has anxiety and takes Cymbalta but he was on Wellbutrin first. He said it made him constantly pissed off.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Not anymore.
    The normal dosage for Ritalin in adults with ADHD is about 20mg a day.
    At one point I was on 130mg a day!
    I don't need it anymore.

I completely relate to that!!