Universal Records Drops CD prices!

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by A Canadian, Oct 7, 2003.

1. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

Universal records is planning on droping all CD prices by 30% in attempt to compete with other companys and the mp3 "industry"
    altought no offical statment has been made on the website, we will see the price drop quite soon at "particapating retails"

do you think this will help CD sales come back up or are they readying themselfs for more money loss?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

CD sales shouldn't come back up because...

1) CD sales dropped because of a bad economy

2) The RIAA and it's constituants put out less CD's than previous years, explaining further for the drop in CD sales

3) You're comparing with the CD sales of the last 5 years, which were record breaking years for the industry....why do people expect sales of CDs to never stop rising?

This price drop shows the industry can "afford" to sell CD's cheaper. If they would balance where the money goes, they could create cheaper CD's. Currently the artist/band is getting ripped off, the consumer is paying too much for too little music, and the companies spend their cash fruitlessly and take it out on the consumer and artists.

When I only get 12 songs on a CD when I know that the band/artist created at least 15 songs in the studio I feel cheated. There is this golden rule in the industry that 12 songs is enough to keep the consumer happy while cutting costs on mastering the songs. And not all songs on the latest CD were created for that CD. You could be listening to a track that was recorded 5 years ago for another CD but didn't "make the cut" for the final 12 songs, so it ends up in a later CD.

The music industry has been selling me images of the artists and not the music. They put me in a sales demographic because they need to sell as much as they can. If they stop spending money on market analysis and TV advertisments, as well as these 500,000 dollar music videos MAYBE, just MAYBE they might be able to give me more music for a cheaper price, while they still can go home in their Maserati's and Jaguar's. They sell me the image before the music...so the music becomes worthless. So why not grab the music for free then?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

supply and demand baby yeah!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. bigjnorman Registered Senior Member

yup

Adam Smith said it all too well 250 years ago

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It just shows you have been screwed all along. Anytime they can just drop the cd price indicates that they always could have.

The music industry is a victum of its own making. They stopped making the 45, the singles, and the mini cd, in favor of selling only albums, then they jack the price up. Trouble is most of the songs on an album simply aren't worth the price. Most is filler and people recognise they are not getting their money's worth for only one or two good songs.

I can remember seeing albums like the Beatles "White Album", where there were a substantial amount of songs on the album and most were good. Well worth the price at the time. Todays instant boy bands and made up pop stars last as long as the sales do and then it is time to make a new instant pop star. Not much for longevity and hence not much for the bottom line over the long haul. The music industry gave up the steady, slow sales that came in over the long haul for the instant money makers that were over in 6 weeks with no sales.

Now they want to sue the customer into submission. Not with my dollar they won't.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hey, Grazzhoppa, you know what your problem is?

You're a music fan, not a free grazing cash cow.

You aren't the customer the music industry wants. They want stupid people, easily dazzled by a flash video, who will just part with cash without thinking about it.

Basically, they want teens with too much pocket money.