UNOFFICIAL logo and background poll (large images included)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Pete, Oct 18, 2006.

?

Please select the logos and backgrounds that you like.

Poll closed Nov 1, 2006.
  1. 1 - Current logo

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 2 - Illusory triangle

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 3 - SF Molecule

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. 4 - Light S, dark f. Blocky, in box.

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. 5 - Light S, dark f. Curvy, no box.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. 6 - Abstract moon design

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. 7 - scif

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. 8 - Sf solar system

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  9. 9 - Sf with ring

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  10. 10 - Raster eye

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. 11 - MRI head with question

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  12. 12 - MRI head

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  13. 13 - Dark SF in light buzzsaw

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  14. 14 - Psi-forum 1

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  15. 15 - Psi-forum 2

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  16. 16 - Happy primate

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  17. 17 - The Thinker

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  18. 18 - Flasks and beakers

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  19. 19 - Sparkly sf

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  20. 20 - Original logo, in 3D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. 21 - SF in circle

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  22. 22 - Yin-Yang splat

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  23. 23 - Stylized SF

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  24. 24 - SciForums (Intelligent Community) + SF

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  25. 25 - Original logo

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  26. 26 - No logo at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. 27 - None of these logos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. A - Current background

18 vote(s)
    51.4%
  29. B - Starfield

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  30. C - Mars

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  31. D - Desert

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  32. E - People

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  33. F - Abstract

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  34. G - Plain color or simple gradient

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  35. H - None of these backgrounds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Nope.
    Like I said. I was just trying to puzzle out what you meant by 'Funny how I seem to invoke in you a reminder of yourself.'
    This was said in some way attached to the idea of minimalism and how I claimed that your earlier parody of a sciforums logo contribution wasn't minimalistic. I could only assume that you, in some way, were claiming that I wasn't being minimalistic (this would be the 'reminder of myself'). The only sense I could make of this would be that you would be referring to my voluminous writing style. (Even though I am far less wordy these days than once upon a time.)
    Thus 'longwinded bore'.

Of course, this would also sort of fly in the face of earlier statements you've made about my 'writing talent'.
    But, that's the way things go some times.

Why predictable?
    For one thing, there's been nothing pinned down my throat. Do you really think I'd hold something in if it was itching at me? Come now.
    As to the timing of my response, it has nothing to do with Anonymous other than the fact that he posted and brought the thread to the main page and reminded me that it existed. I popped in and read your post to me and responded to it.

As to your new designs... Well. They look... professional, I suppose. But, they're no more serious of a design for the forum than the first attempts.

It's easy to put up contributions as sarcasm, eh? That way you can say, "I didn't mean it anyway" if people don't like them.
    But, then again, maybe not. You seem to have some sand in your panties because I didn't mention them in my post.

Why didn't you create a real contribution to the forum?

Perhaps it flew right by you, but I was just thinking out loud there. Trying to puzzle out what you meant. It was an invitation for you to say, "Nope. Wrong. Here's what I really meant." Although, many times when I do this, I actually get the answer right.
    It's sort of a game, you know.

Exactly. I knew that.

That came through as well.
    Also, in the second one with people standing in line, it was more like a bunch of proles standing in line to get into the Oprah show or something similar.
    That's how I saw it.

This has already been made apparent as well. I knew it even when I posted my original criticism of your work.
    Too bad you didn't offer a real contribution though.

This 'forum'? You mean this thread? Or Sciforums in general? The only person I've ever known to use the word forum to refer to a thread is Valich...
    Hmm.

Space then.
    Personally, when I look at it I see a dark space on the bottom of the Earth where it's in shadow. And another space to the right which is only made a 'space' by the insertion of the symbols. If not for the symbols it would just be an empty black bar and wouldn't really count as a 'space'.
    I'm using 'space' in a context which implies content that can't be seen. Implied content? Hmm. Something like the gestalt vase. Foreground and background.

Why not?
    It would have been nice to end up with a kickass logo instead of something... blah. I would have liked to see a professional version of my contribution. The invisible triangle. That one also has the idea of hidden spaces.

Yes. I know.

Hmm.
    I was thinking handbags...
    Should have used a combo pink/blue. Blue baby blanket for boys. Pink for girls.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Meanwhile Banned Banned

yup. I'm ... different. As many as those who you might admire from afar but will never ever be -- old chap.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Meanwhile Banned Banned

we shall be interrupted shortly by guess who?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zzzzzzz....... Eh?! Wha?! Oh, dear. Sorry about that, old man. Tuned out there a bit. What were y'saying....?

8. Meanwhile Banned Banned

9. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Perhaps it's because I'm different—as different as those who you might admire from afar but will never ever be, [BBC accent]bastard ol' boy.[/BBC accent]

But let's note a couple of discrepancies in Mr. Hippopotamus' flame. Firstly, from a few posts back, he goes off topic several times in order to flame me in this thread for being on topic. Isn't that lame? And how was I being on topic? I was critiquing designs in a design thread, submitted. Whose designs is irrelevant because I was focusing on the designs themselves—cursory critiques with apropos idiocratic asides perhaps but essentially commenting on the designs themselves. Evidently my art comments aren't up to Mr. Hippopotamus' standards. But why shouldn't I initiate remarks about design in a thread about design!!? and in which I also happen to know a thing or two about something I happen to have studied all my life?? I even explored architectural drafting during my endeavors. (I love those blueprints; super cool and florid and mystically tranquil.)

So, in Mr. Hippopotamus' most recent rant against me he completely ignores my on topic commentary addressed to Spurious about design, and takes the whole thing out of context by hi-liting a fragment of an ad hoc anecdote—now get this—an anecdote I exchanged with Spurious about our art teachers albeit being perfectly aware that what I was saying also coincided with something Hippopotamus bawled at me a few posts back about being what he inventively imagines is an inability to take-on art criticism. But didn't he read the rest of my post where I included:
    Yeah, right, so I didn't heed my teacher's sense of urgency? But too bloody much, you know? Hippopotamus would ignore that bit. I mean, how am I to counter-argue lame bias against me here disguised as art criticism that has no affiliation with any design content that I can relate to!!? I am not going to play your sick game and pretend that I don't know that you don't know that I know that you know I know. Lol. Anyhow, Hippo takes my anecdote about my art teacher slamming me against the wall, twists it to make it appear as though my art teacher demoralizingly accosted me out of sheer annoyance of my person because in effect it is Mr. Hippopotamus who is the actual griever, not people in "real" life. Lol. And he even has the gracious indulgence to accommodate the whole of SciF on his behalf! … as though. Doing a bit of slick brain washing, Mr. Hippo-hippo-animus?

As a matter of fact, what our dear large faux english mammal doesn't know about my art teacher is that that week he had just returned from a crazy trip to NYC with shaven head, torn jeans, and a hard core attitude à-la-punk, and was still intoxicated with the spirit of slam dancing—he was still buzzing.

Also, Mr. Hippopotamus conveniently ignores the fact that my art teacher slammed me out of concern for my hurling dispassion that was already steering me away from art. The man was concerned about me, not against me. He didn't need to bloody care about me. So screw you Mister Frightfully British Anonymous.

10. Mmmm, nope. Sorry. Lost me again. Who's this "Hippopotamus" fellow you keep talking at and why are you talking at all...?

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

The design of this post is quite appealing. What with the large font P and the balanced placement of the bolded words.

Really. I may adopt the large font opening letter thing.

12. But, strenuously old fellow - wouldn't you feel such an awful Tit actually doing it?

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yes old chap, I suppose I would at that. Although most of the Tits I've felt have been far from awful.

14. How thouroughly boobilicously wonderful for you old fellow - Which rather reminds me. I jolly well ought to bugger orf and put that particular sentiment to The Test!

Tally-ho!

(Although, I'll bet you - he'll come back in here and start slagging us off for our choice in capital font. You watch...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

15. Meanwhile Banned Banned

Equivocating so promptly too!

16. Meanwhile Banned Banned

It's a Drop cap. Conventionally, the first letter should drop down a line or two but there's no baseline shift in vB or html code.

17. Meanwhile Banned Banned

The key word here though is "conventional".

18. draqon Banned Banned

People vote for Mars...its beautifull planet.

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

The current logO

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

But it's rubbish!!

21. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

No it isn't.

22. draqon Banned Banned

mars people MARS because it is beautifull

23. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Mars Sucks​