Updates

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by darksidZz, May 29, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Employment does strange things to people.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I can think for myself real well.

Thank You for such generous advice, but I don't need a master.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Master? I don't think String is looking for a slave...unless he's just freaky that way.

Getting good advice from someone who has years of experience in Human Resources is a really smart thing to do. Seeking knowledge is not being a slave to anyone, it's just damn good advise. Sometimes Draq, you make me wonder.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

About what?

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Wonder..wonder..wonder..doo da doo...who wrote the book of love!

Actually wonder which planet you call home. j/k

9. draqon Banned Banned

Women did, long time ago when Earth slept in lullaby. It got carried by the wind of many suns across stars and planets to out own. Than she woke up in a flower, as pellets fell to the ground the first baby was born and the next. Thus civilization came to light, since days of past are so distant.
    I can take a joke, as long as its tasty.

10. superstring01 Moderator

How's that "thinking for yourself" going? Got a job? Loving the country your in? Still being a total loser with nothing to show for himself?

You're an idiot, as always.

Are you a slave for using a lawyer in legal matters? Are you a slave for getting a doctor in medical matters? A mechanic to help you with auto repairs? A plumber in fixing leaky pipes. Experts exist to help, not enslave, especially when the topic stretches beyond your ken. It's human to need help, and getting it from reputable sources is sign of wisdom and independence. Refusing to stop and ask for directions, and choosing to remain continuously lost, because of some idiotic dedication to selfish-pride is a perfect example of your infinite ignorance & immaturity, Draq.

Besides, nobody said you should be a slave to someone. In the world of high-end employment and competitive job markets, the person withOUT a job coach is someone left behind. Good advice is never slavery. And people, especially immature little snobs like you, who refuse it are proof that stupidity still reigns supreme.

The only reason why you responded that way is because the advice came from me. Were it to come from someone else, you'd get your prissy little self all worked up over how great the advice was.

Besides, everything I posted was not even MY advice. They are life and work lessons that I have accumulated from far wiser people over the ages. I have a success rate in getting people interviews that approaches 100%. I have letters of recommendation that support that fact. You want a job? I can get you it. It just takes work. . . and I charge.

If you're too stupid to appreciate good information (especially the FREE, no strings attached variety), no matter what it's source, then that's your fault. Stay a pathetic little child for the rest of your life.

~String

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

By the way String, that was the best advice I have ever heard coming from an HR person, very much to the point and very practical.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Thanks.

I'm always here for basic career, resume, interviewing advice. I actually enjoy giving it. Few things in life are as satisfying to me than seeing a good person, work hard and get a good job they like.

It's when I have to put pen-to paper for you, and research a company for you, that I begin to charge.

~String

13. draqon Banned Banned

Actually I found myself a job, actually 2, but one for now. And it pays me very well. So I have well more confidence in myself than I used to.

I guess I wasn't fair with you superstring, I am sorry about the whole master/slave thing, dont take it to heart. I really do see that you know how to find a job and you do give good advice. So just let it slide this time. k.

14. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

ya know. my bestie does things like that too.. then I had a lady totally redo my resume for my job searches... and still nothing.. I guess wanting an office job, is to much to ask for now adays... oh wait...they want an associates degree now a days for that too..sheesh.... maybe I should just learn spanish and work fast food, and throw up because of it everytime I go to work..... lol..trying to find a job where the area alone has a 10% unemployment rate(and that is just the people who reported it)...

15. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

oh and because of all the problems I have with finding a job.. I dont have much confidence with it.. but when I have a job.. you will never see me so happy! even if I complain that I hate it.. haha..just hit me up on paydays and ask me how I am feeling! hahaaaa......

god being jobless has made me a depressed mess

16. superstring01 Moderator

I don't know where you live, but I live in one of the more depressed economic areas of the US and there are still jobs to be had. Even here, for positions like administrative assistants and secretaries, experience trumps education every time. Especially if it's GOOD experience that involves lots of technical aspects. Letters of recommendations + copies of superlative reviews certainly help. Skills, especially the odd and end ones, are a top priority too.

Other things to consider: If you've been without a job, the rule is "six months and you're stagnant". When I get a resume from a guy with LOTS of skills who's been without employment for six months or greater, I get a "spidey sense" that turns me off. If he's so great, why hasn't he done SOMETHING to bridge the gap? Like I said, I live in a depressed area, and practically every place I walk into (especially retail and restaurants) have help wanted signs up. I tell people: "Guess what? The economy sucks and you gotta humble yourself sometimes. Find something to pay the bills."

It's what I did almost 9 years ago. I lost my company and insurance job. I lost everything in Phoenix, AZ. I came home and moved in with my parents. I finally sucked it up and went to Target to find a job. I went from $22.50 per hour working for Liberty Mutual insurance + a sizable commission along with my reasonably lucrative PC sales business (for a combined income past the $100k mark) to making $6.75 an hour! THINK I WAS DEPRESSED!? You bet. But I needed something. I started out as a sales floor associate. I worked hard--not because I liked the job, or because I care (I didn't: I hated the place)--but because I was saving up money to move back to Phoenix. I figured, six months and I'd be back. 60 days later I got promoted. Six months I was promoted again. A year later I quit for a better job with more money at Walmart. 9-ish years later I'm a reasonably successful HR manager & executive staffer for another company making almost as much as I did before, but in this case I actually LOVE what I do. And funny thing: it was only supposed to last six months, till I got back on my feet and back to Phoenix.

So I don't know if you are still employeed or unemployed, but get something, even a job you hate. For starters, a good admin position might come open at--say--McDonald's and you'd be shoe in for that job. Just as important, it takes the "stagnant" factor off your resume. And you can tactically bring that up in another interview. . .

Interviewer: "So, I see you're working for Panda Express now. . ."
    You (with unexpected pride): "Sure. . . you know, I won't lie: It took some humbling to go from my dream job to fast food. And this may sound cheesy, but that place has taught me so much about service to a team, service to a company and service to the customer. For starters, I've learned how a business runs, and how important being on the "front lines" is. Most importantly, I've learned how much quality, team work, strong development and attention to detail effect every aspect of a business."

Always acknowledge the elephant int the room: You didn't want that job. It'll remove the bullshit factor (because, let's be honest, who dreams of working at Panda Express?) But then spin it into something positive. Any experience can be used to highlight your business acumen and maturity.

PM me or email me: superstring01@gmail.com We'll talk.

~String

17. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Dude..that makes me happy as hell. Confidence is great...it's the fuel of accomplishment. It will also get you laid.

18. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

will not!!!! Trust me! I know from experience! LOL!

19. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I have an interview tommorrow for Target, lul God help... anyway if I don't get that job I'll basically be screwed and January is when my funds run out. Infact I never did hear from unemployment lul those f'rs, but honestly part of me hated that shitty job anyway. Perhaps I will luck out, but then how long till I loose it there too? haha

I'll go interview, if I get it I'll count my blessings. After that who knows... I'm basically screwed unless I get that job tommorrow. I was waiting for a check from some company I helped out change the Wamu to Chase computer systems but I don't think it's coming, lol I think it was a scam.

God my sisters boyfriend is coughing his lungs out, perhaps I should reconsider smoking? Then again he's been doing it for a 10 years so eh.

I miss you my friend from work whom I couldn't be best friends with cuz I liked you to much who I can't name here, I miss you so much it's strange. I know you fooled around with random guys and they were better men than I'll ever be, I hope you're safe and well looked after now ok babe

20. superstring01 Moderator

Remember these notes:

• Stress on the good dress. Dress shirt. Tie. Dress shoes.
    • Shave your face.
    • Remove piercings.
    • Firm hand shake.
    • They'll ask you about relevent experience, if you have none, focus on how much you love retail and your passion for helping people out.
    • I used to be a manager (called "Executive Team Lead" or "ETL") at Target. They are very touchy-feely.
    • Be fifteen minutes early. Bring your own pen
    • Leave your cell phone in the car. Don't even bring it in.
    • Target looks for open availability and your willingness to work whenever they need you. They have their choice right now. Be open to what they need.
    • ASK FOR THE JOB. EXPRESS YOUR EXCITEMENT ABOUT GOING TO WORK FOR THEM.

~String

21. superstring01 Moderator

Go to the wiki on Target and brush up on who they are and what they stand for:

Target Corporation

~String

22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

If they hire you remember drink lots of water before the drug test.

23. superstring01 Moderator

LOL. Yeah, Target does send you for a peepee test.

~String