US aid to Israel

Discussion in 'World Events' started by skaught, Jul 15, 2011.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

How much money does the US give to Israel every year? Why do we give them so much? What would be the consequences of the US cutting off financial support to Israel?

It seems to me that the Israelis are getting money from the US, then using that money to buy weapons from US companies, and then using those weapons to kill Palestinians. Am I correct in this conclusion?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So you think if we didn't give them money, they would have no weapons?
    Do you also think the Palestinians are not trying to kill them?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they'd find some way to get the weapons, but I'm not comfortable knowing that my government is giving money to a regime that is doing some of the things the Israelis are doing.

Oh of course they are. Neither side is innocent in this. But as it seems to me, (and let me clarify that I know very little about what is going on there) that lots of people are giving money to Israel, and lots of people are giving money, or some kind of aid, to the Palestinians. And both sides are using this aid to kill the other side. It just seems stupid to me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

America has been giving many countries money, lots of money. Pakistan received about 2 billion dollars this year and they knew where Bin Laden was hiding all the time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Egypt received about 3 billion and now where did it all go? :shrug:

Palestine receives money and arms from Syria and you don't point that out, why not?

8. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Jesus... You ask a question and immediately people assume your somehow taking sides on an issue and ask questions like "Palestine receives money and arms from Syria and you don't point that out, why not?" And "So you think if we didn't give them money, they would have no weapons?
    Do you also think the Palestinians are not trying to kill them?"

Look. All I'm asking, is how much money the US gives to Israel, why we give it to them, and what the consequences would be if we cut it off. I ask this because it seems to me, like we give them a lot of money and they use it to hurt people. Let me be clear, It seems to me to be that way. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know, thats why I'm asking this question. Not because I think The US and Israel are devil spawn, not because I think the Palestinians are innocent victims. ONLY because I want to understand.

I also said above, that I know very little about this situation. And I should add, that I am interested in learning more about what is going on in Israel/Palestine, so that I can formulate an educated opinion about the matter. Don;t assume that just because someone asks questions of this type that they are casting judgments.

Why didn't I point out that Syria gives money to Palestine? Because I didn't know!

Fuck...

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

US aid to Israel:

On giving aid to Palestinians for weapons. Not possible, because aid to Palestinians goes through Israel which determines what they should receive - hence the Gaza blockade.

What is much more deplorable than the US aid to Israel is US foreign policy:

Granger, Lowey: Palestinian statehood push could end U.S. funding

U.S. Senate Threatens to Cut Aid to Palestinians
    Palestinians called to stop bidding for state at UN

US Senate: Cut aid if PA declares state
    So if you ever wonder why people hate Americans, thats it right there. Not because they hate your freedoms but because you hate their freedoms.

10. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

The president suspending assistance to palestinians isn't a threat to western freedoms. Its just an indication of foreign policy which are outside of our said freedoms. If it were up to me and a lot of other westerners neither group would receive assistance.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The money is buying influence, not weapons. As if weapons were the source of the conflict.

12. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Could you elaborate? What do you mean by "buying influence".

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well all you need to do is google and do some research for yourself if you really want to understand what's happening instead of just guessing at what is going on by what others tell you.

"On Friday, Serdyukov announced that Russia would go ahead with its sale of advanced anti-ship rockets to Syria, despite recent attempts by U.S. and Israeli officials to thwart the planned deal.

The arms deal, signed in 2007, involves the sale of advanced P-800 Yakhont supersonic cruise missiles to the Syrian military, weaponry which Israel considers as capable of posing significant danger to its navy vessels in the Mediterranean Sea.

Last month, Haaretz reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had tried to sway his Russian counterpart, Putin, from completing the deal, reportedly saying the missiles could be transferred to Hezbollah and used against IDF troops, as was the case in the Second Lebanon War."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diploma...to-syria-will-be-used-against-israel-1.314516

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You know what lobbyists do? Same thing.

15. CptBork Valued Senior Member

What influence does America's aid buy? Do you think anyone in the international community sees it as a favour or sufferance on Israel's part that the Palestinians haven't been completely cleansed from borders the world has recognized and insisted on for more than 60 years?

Spidergoat, you must know full well by now that if Israel decides to go on a rampage in response to funding cuts, it's not going to end well for them. You do actually get that part, right?

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

*facepalm* You need to get your facts straight before you make yourself look like a trollish fool.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Syria continued selling missiles to Hizbollah, the Lebanese militant group, after expressly promising the US it was not doing so, diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks disclose.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-continued-selling-missiles-to-Hizbollah.html

New York, NY, November 20, 2008 … The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today welcomed the conviction of a notorious Syrian-born arms dealer who has a long history of selling weapons and military equipment to armed factions engaged in violent conflicts around the world, including the Palestinian Liberation Front.

A Manhattan jury convicted Monzer al-Kassar and a co-defendant on multiple charges of conspiring to sell millions of dollars worth of weapons to Colombian militants. In 1992, Kassar was charged with providing arms to the PLF for the 1985 hijacking of the cruise ship Achille Lauro, during which terrorists murdered Leon Klinghoffer in his wheelchair and threw him overboard. Kassar was acquitted of those charges after a three-year trial ended in 1995.

"We are gratified that justice has finally caught up with Monzer al-Kassar," said Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director. "The Klinghoffer family has waited far too long to see anyone involved in the horrific killing of their father brought to justice. This is a great day for them, and for all those who have suffered as a result of Kassar's long reign of terror."

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/TerrorismIntl_93/5398_93.htm

January 31
    A Qassam rocket fired by Palestinians in the Gaza Strip exploded in an open area in the Eshkol Regional Council. No injuries or damage were reported.[47]

A Grad rocket ,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grad_rocket,landed near a residential neighborhood in the city of Netivot. The explosion disrupted a wedding in the vicinity of the landing site; four people suffered from shock, and damage was caused to a road and a parked car. Another Grad rocket exploded near the city of Ofakim a few minutes later, but no injuries or damage were reported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2011

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011