US Presidential Debates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Sep 25, 2016.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Really the idiotic attempts at deception actually only help the candidate cement the base.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think you need to freshen up on current events. Illegally invading, occupying, and annexing the lands of its neighbors as Hitler did is a direct threat the not only the US but to the entire world. If there is anything we should have learned from WW II, it's that appeasement of fascist dictators doesn't work. And I guess you missed Russia's threats to US naval vessels and military and civilian airliners?

And then there are the nuclear capable missiles which Russia has deployed on its European borders, a threat to any of our trading partners is a threat to the United States. And then there is the new air defense system Russia recently installed in Syria allegedly to fight ISIS, but here is the thing, ISIS doesn't have an air force. If Russia were really interested in attacking ISIS, it would attack ISIS rather than the Syrian dissidents it has been attacking.

Trump is and has been talking about arming others with nuclear weapons. Have you not been paying attention? Trump said he was for nuclear proliferation before he was against nuclear proliferation with conditions.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-japan-south-korea-might-need-nuclear-weapons/

The problem with Trump is he says so many contradictory things, it difficult to know what he really supports. He will say one thing one day and says the exact opposite, seconds, minutes, hours, or days later.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

He's on video saying it 3 or 4 times....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

If Russia was serious about it's future relationship with Syria it would encourage Assad to stand down. Assad IS NOT Syria, is the point I am attempting to highlight.

8. sculptor Valued Senior Member

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Prove it!

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The only real question about that formulation would be who was doing the arming. That's hardly problematic.

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Who armed Israel?
    Who armed Pakistan?
    Who armed India?
    Who armed North Korea?
    Could we/did we stop them from developing nuclear weapons?

From joepistole' link:
    "It's only a question of time," he [Trump]said. "They're going to start having them or we have to get rid of them entirely."

Can we actually "get rid of them entirely"?

12. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

One thing we do know about Donald Trump, is he doesn't grope unattractive women. He's much too nice a guy for that.

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It is not really just about arming foreign nations with nukes but really that Trump is prepared to make statements with out doing the research first.

He is not prepared to say for example: "I would seek the advise of my highly qualified staff and form an opinion and come to a conclusion".
    He doesn't trust the nations security agencies and is running as a wiki leaks/conspiracy theorist supporter.
    When he has been talking about Japan and S Korea getting nukes he is pretending to be knowledgeable yet making incredibly naive statements that seriously demonstrate his ignorance.
    For example:
    Given the heat at the moment over the S China sea what do you think China's reaction would be is Japan became armed with Nukes?

Even mentioning it in an election squabble is incredibly dangerous because it doesn't allow for Chinese paranoia ( fears ) nor over zealous Japanese Patriotism.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

So, as you change the subject, does that mean you're no longer amused with the "fictions and lies about Trump"↑ distraction↑?

It turns out Trump was the one lying, and he'd said exactly what Clinton claimed. Not only that, Trump's comments endorsing nuclear weapons for other countries came during an interview with the debate moderator, Fox News' Chris Wallace.

During an interview back in April, Trump told Wallace, "So, North Korea has nukes. Japan has a problem with that. I mean, they have a big problem with that. Maybe they would in fact be better off if they defend themselves from North Korea."

Wallace clarified. "With nukes?" he asked.

"Including with nukes, yes, including with nukes," Trump said.

(Caldwell↱)

Notes:

Caldwell, Patrick. "Trump Claims Clinton Invented a Statement He Made to the Debate Moderator". Mother Jones. 19 October 2016. MotherJones.com. 20 October 2016. http://bit.ly/2e5j25t

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Nope... I already have, to my satisfaction.
    Search YouTube for your self and don't be so lazy!
    search terms "Trump on nukes" and spend some time. You need to own your own research.
    Go look, there is plenty of video out there.

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Of course not..
    we can only slow them down and maintain some sort of illusion of restraint.

This is what Trump and so many fail(ed) to understand about the agreement reached with Iran recently. The Iranian people are going to develop nukes whether we like it or not. Obama simply attempted to make sure the Western world is kept in the loop so that it's concerns about Nukes falling into malicious, hands are a part of the Iranian decision process.

The whole problem in the Middle East is mainly sectarian. Nuke capacity blows away any semblance of balance in ongoing and predominantly sectarian fueled hatred.
    Da'esh is really only a further extension of that sectarian nightmare called the Middles East.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    sculptor likes this.
  17. Bells Staff Member

Do we need to remind you of how Putin and Assad are "taking care of it"?

Putin and Assad are bombing Assad's opponents. Not ISIS, but civilians who are not politically aligned with Assad.

They are dropping bombs on hospitals, schools, people's homes and markets.

Tell me something, sculptor, is this how you deem their 'taking care of it'? Is "it" innocent men, women and children?

Because they aren't attacking ISIS. They are attacking civilians directly, deliberately and indiscriminately. Assad has used chemical weapons on numerous occasions, killing thousands of civilians in their homes. And you think they are 'taking care of it'?

I mean, how morbid do you have to be to describe this as allowing them to take care of the ME?

What dollar value to you place on a child's head, so much so that you deem it a waste to try to stop or prevent the slaughter? How much? What is a child's life worth to you in dollar value, that you think it is a waste to try to stop Assad and Putin from bombing schools and hospitals?

And the barbarity of bombing schools and hospitals is learned from..?

Your desire to sit back and do nothing as thousands die each year to being bombed by Putin and Assad's forces is learned from where? What primal part of your brain thinks that it is perfectly acceptable to sit back and watch thousands die to chemical attacks by the Syrian Government, to being bombed in their homes, schools and hospitals so that you can save a buck?

Putin has been threatening the US for years.

And not just the US, but the EU as well. What? You've missed the part of their air incursion with their military aircraft into EU airspace over the last few years? You've missed the part where Russia has been testing ballistic missiles to deliver nuclear payloads?

There comes a point where your utter BS is not even funny or deemed the ramblings of someone not of sound mind. It is deliberate.

I mean, have you considered how Russia views the US? Have you considered how Russian State controlled media interpreted Putin's words?

Russia offers peaceful, equal relations. Do you want to legalize human-animal marriages or set up an absolute monarchy? We may not approve of that, but we wouldn’t express our disapproval out loud. We don’t interfere in your domestic policy, do what you want in your country. If you behave correctly and observe international agreements, our countries will be friends.

The United States offers unconditional submission and a perverted ideology – ritual gay-parades, pro-American policies, involvement in international punitive operations and so on: a far less attractive alternative.

Do you agree with their sentiment? This is how Russia views the US as a superpower. This is why they prefer Trump, because in Trump, they see someone like themselves who believes as they do.

And it seems, as you believe as well if your support for Trump and your jumping up and down defending Putin and Assad's actions in Syria is anything to go by.

18. Bells Staff Member

You are seriously going to sit there and lie that Trump praised the prospect of nuclear proliferation for countries like Japan, South Korea and Saudi Arabia?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/02/donald-trump-north-korea-war-nuclear-weapons
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-japan-south-korea-might-need-nuclear-weapons/

The full transcript of his interview with Anderson Cooper, where he again expresses support for nuclear proliferation, while trying to deny his support for countries like Japan, South Korea and Saudi Arabia developing nuclear weapons is classified as nuclear proliferation: http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1603/29/acd.02.html

COOPER: ... the most. You also said, though, that you might support Japan and South Korea developing nuclear weapons of their own. Isn't that completely contradictory?

TRUMP: No, not at all. Look, you have North Korea has nuclear weapons. And he doesn't have a carrier yet but he has got nuclear weapons. He soon will have. We don't want to pull the trigger. We're just -- you know, we have a president, frankly, that doesn't -- nobody is afraid of our president. Nobody respects our president.

You take a look at what's going on throughout the world. It's not the country that it was.

COOPER: But if you're concerned about proliferation, letting other countries get nuclear weapons, isn't that proliferation?

TRUMP: No, no. We owe $19 $trillion, we have another $2 trillion because of the very, very bad omnibus budget that was just signed. It's a disgrace, which gives everything that Obama wanted. We get nothing. They get everything.

So that's going to be $21 trillion. We are supporting nations now, militarily, we are supporting nations like Saudi Arabia which was making during the good oil days which was a year ago, now they're making less but still a lot, $1 billion a day.

We are supporting them, militarily, and pay us a fraction, a fraction of what they should be paying us and of the cost. We are supporting Japan. Most people didn't even know that. Most people didn't know that we are taking care of Japan's military needs. We're supporting...

(CROSSTALK)

TRUMP: Excuse me, excuse me, we're supporting Germany. We're supporting South Korea. I order thousands of television sets because I am in the real estate business, you know, in my other life, OK.

COOPER: It has been a U.S. policy for decades to prevent Japan from getting a nuclear weapon.

TRUMP: That might be policy, but maybe...

COOPER: South Korea as well.

TRUMP: Can I be honest are you? Maybe it's going to have to be time to change, because so many people, you have Pakistan has it, you have China has it. You have so many other countries are now having it...

COOPER: So some proliferation is OK?

TRUMP: No, no, not proliferation. I hate nuclear more than any. My uncle was a professor was at MIT, used to (AUDIO GAP) nuclear, he used to tell me about the problem.

COOPER: But that's contradictory about Japan and South Korea.

TRUMP: (AUDIO GAP) Iran is going to have it very -- within...

COOPER: But that's proliferation.

TRUMP: Excuse me, one of the dumbest I've ever seen signed ever, ever, ever by anybody, Iran is going to have it within 10 years. Iran is going to have it. I thought it was a very good interview in The New York Times.

COOPER: So you have no problem with Japan and South Korea having...

TRUMP: I thought...

(CROSSTALK)

COOPER: ... nuclear weapons.

TRUMP: At some point we have to say, you know what, we're better off if Japan protects itself against this maniac in North Korea, we're better off, frankly, if South Korea is going to start to protect itself, we have...

COOPER: Saudi Arabia, nuclear weapons?

TRUMP: Saudi Arabia, absolutely.

COOPER: You would be fine with them having nuclear weapons?

TRUMP: No, not nuclear weapons, but they have to protect themselves or they have to pay us.

Here's the thing, with Japan, they have to pay us or we have to let them protect themselves.

COOPER: So if you said, Japan, yes, it's fine, you get nuclear weapons, South Korea, you as well, and Saudi Arabia says we want them, too?

TRUMP: Can I be honest with you? It's going to happen, anyway. It's going to happen anyway. It's only a question of time. They're going to start having them or we have to get rid of them entirely. But you have so many countries already, China, Pakistan, you have so

many countries, Russia, you have so many countries right now that have them.

Now, wouldn't you rather in a certain sense have Japan have nuclear weapons when North Korea has nuclear weapons? And they do have them. They absolutely have them. They can't -- they have no carrier system yet but they will very soon.

Wouldn't you rather have Japan, perhaps, they're over there, they're very close, they're very fearful of North Korea, and we're supposed to protect.

COOPER: So you're saying you don't want more nuclear weapons in the world but you're OK with Japan and South Korea having nuclear weapons?

TRUMP: I don't want more nuclear weapons. I think that -- you know, when I hear Obama get up and say the biggest threat to the world today is global warming, I say, is this guy kidding?

The only global warming -- the only global warming I'm worried about is nuclear global warming because that's the single biggest threat. So it's not that I'm a fan -- we can't afford it anymore. We're sitting on a tremendous bubble. We're going to be -- again, $21 trillion. We don't have money.

COOPER: So you have no security concerns...

TRUMP: We're using all of the money...

COOPER: ... about Japan or South Korea getting nuclear weapons?

TRUMP: Anderson, when you see all of the money that our country is spending on military, we're not spending it for ourselves; we're protecting all of these nations all over the world. We can't afford to do it anymore.

COOPER: But isn't there benefit for the United States in having a secure Europe. Isn't there benefit for the United States in having a secure Asia.

TRUMP: There's a benefit, but not big enough to bankrupt and destroy the United States, because that's what's happening. We can't afford it. It's very simple.

Now, I would rather see Japan having some form of defense, and maybe even offense, against North Korea. Because we're not pulling the trigger. The bottom line on North Korea is china, if they wanted to, they're a tremendous supplier of North Korea. They have tremendous power over North Korea. If they wanted to, if they weren't toying with us, Anderson, China would be the one that would get in and could make a deal in one day, okay...

So you were saying?

Right..

Fictions..

Tell me, what flavour Trump Kool-Aid did you drink?

Because you are willing to overlook everything he has said, deny his own words, try to re-invent his words, to defend your support of the man.

How low are you willing to go, sculptor?

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am curious Sculptor, to see just how much of your support makes sense given the huge amount of video evidence...to the contrary?

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It may well be dangerous to presume the point involves making sense.

And, you know, I'll tag people from time to time with a "start making sense" barb, but there are certain people who are antithetical to making sense because they cannot both make sense and have what they want and be viewed in a manner satisfactory to their own self-love.

That is to say, they're pitching fits for the sake of pitching fits.

Supremacism in these United States is presently under siege. Donald Trump is the supremacists' candidate, the campaign of the internet troll, a dream of an Oval Office for the Gaslighter In Chief.

To wit, I would reiterate the mansplanation↗, as well as, say, point to the unfortunate thread about racism↗. It's not supposed to be an argument; it's trolling for the sake of letting the people one hates know how one feels about this, that, or something else entirely.

Or, you know. So says me.

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

france got them started
    home started
    canada got them started with a nuclear reactor
    soveit union got them their first reactor i believe.

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sure - we've been pointing that out for a while now. The Confederate flags, white supremicist endorsements, pattern of support, - the secession of the Confederacy is usually not billed as a "revolutionary" movement, because it was so ugly and the word has favorable connotations in the US, but that's one way to view Trump and his supporters.

They have had it with the government of the US, and want something different - a strongman Leader to set things right, maybe, put the moochers and takers in their place. The Party of Jefferson Davis will rise again.

23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Time for a reality check?
    Hillary Clinton in Wednesday's presidential debate tried to avoid talking about the substance of the damaging WikiLeaks disclosures of DNC and Clinton campaign officials by claiming 17 U.S. intelligence agencies determined that Russia was responsible for this. After Clinton made this claim, she scolded Trump for challenging U.S. intelligence professionals who have taken an oath to help defend this country.
    What Clinton said was false and misleading.
    First of all, only two intelligence entities – the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) – have weighed in on this issue, not 17 intelligence agencies.
    And what they said was ambiguous about Russian involvement.
    An unclassified October 7, 2016 joint DNI-DHS statement on this issue said the hacks . . . "are consistent with the methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts". ... the DNI and DHS statement did NOT say there was evidence Russia was responsible.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/441266/hillary-clinton-democratic-emails-hacked-russia?utm_source=nr&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=fleitz?utm_campaign=dem-emails

Vote for the same old same old?
    Why?

(from a movie, not accurate but gives a fair picture---eg:66th in infant mortality--)
    "...there’s absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we’re the greatest country in the world. We’re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, Number 4 in labor force and Number 4 in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending. Where spend more than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies."
    It sure used to be. We stood up for what was right. We fought for moral reasons. We passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were and we never beat our chests. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world’s greatest artists and the world’s greatest economy. We reached for the stars. Acted like men. We aspired to intelligence, we didn’t belittle it, it didn’t make us feel inferior.

We didn’t identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election and we didn’t scare so easy.
    We were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore. Enough?

Why?

We have spent Trillions of dollars and thousands of lives in fighting Saudi Arabia's and Israel's wars in the middle east for some bribe money and a voting block.
    We have systematically destroyed secular and multicultural regimes for our "buddies" who behead and/or stone to death those who have committed no crime recognized in this country.

Why?

Is this the path and direction you want traveled by your fellow humans?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016