USADA to ban Armstrong for life, strip Tour titles

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Buddha12, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Never one to back away from a fight, Lance Armstrong is finally giving in and the cost of quitting is steep: His seven Tour de France titles could be gone as soon as Friday.

The superstar cyclist, whose stirring victories after his comeback from cancer helped him transcend sports, chose not to pursue arbitration in the drug case brought against him by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. That was his last option in his bitter fight with USADA and his decision set the stage for the titles to be stripped and his name to be all but wiped from the record books of the sport he once ruled.

Armstrong clearly knew his legacy would be blemished by his decision. He said he has grown tired of defending himself in a seemingly never-ending fight against charges that he doped while piling up more Tour victories than anyone ever. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests that he passed as proof of his innocence during his extraordinary run of Tour titles from 1999 to 2005.

''There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, `Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now,'' Armstrong said Thursday night, hours before the deadline to enter arbitration. He called the USADA investigation an ''unconstitutional witch hunt.''

''I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999,'' he said. ''The toll this has taken on my family and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense.''

USADA treated Armstrong's decision as an admission of guilt, hanging the label of drug cheat on an athlete who was a hero to thousands for overcoming life-threatening testicular cancer and for his foundation's support for cancer research. Armstrong could lose other awards, event titles and cash earnings, and the International Olympic Committee might look at the bronze medal he won in the 2000 Games.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/st...g-for-life-strip-tour-de-france-titles-082312

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

The charges seem to be BS. He should have gone with arbitration.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

Good new! USADA doesn't have any power outside the USA.

Screw 'em!

~String

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.