valentines day

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jpegs87, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jpegs87 Registered Member

call me a cynical single but does anyone else find this day a pointless money making scheme. Im not disputing that couples dont love each other. But why one day a year is specified to show this love and spend vasts amount doing so seems just slightly mad to me.Or am i just an ass.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

no doubt. true story of a weird date I had

I was at this party, and there was a smoking hot girl sitting on a stool behind the counter serving drinks. I went up to her, starting rapping to her and stuff. We hit it off pretty well. She mentioned she was hungry, and it was like 1 a.m., so I asked if she wanted to go to the Waffle House (where else?). She said yes, and I told her I would go get my car which was parked like a block away and meet her out front. So a few minutes later I pull up to the front of the house, and she's sitting out there in a WHEELCHAIR. I was like WTF?!?!?. I thought about just driving away but a bunch of my friends knew her, so I knew she could catch up to me eventually. I got out of my car (a Ford Aerostar at the time, thankfully), helped her in, and put her wheelchair in the back. It turns out she was a gymnist in high school and hand some kind of accident where she landed wrong, she was paralyzed form the waist down. So we go to the Waffle House, and she turns out to actually be a really cool girl. We finish up and I am driving her home. This is when things really get weird. We are driving down the street, and she says, "That's my house there, but keep going." I do as she says, and the road dead ends. She reaches over and starts rubbing my dick through my jeans. I told her, "Look, it's really late, and your house is in sight, this isn't a good idea." She said her dad was asleep, and started crying because "I thought she was a freak." I felt bad about it, and she was hot, so I tried to pull her over onto my lap. The steering wheel was in the way though, and she couldn't move her legs, so it wasn't working. I tried to pull her in the backseat, but that was akward too. Then she goes, "Take me to the fence out there." So there is this metal fence beside the car with a smoot rail running along the top, and it's just the right height. I pick her up and set her on it, you can imagine the rest. So we finish up, and I go to take her home. I immediately noticed that all of the lights in the house are on! I get her chair out of the back and push her to the door. As soon as I get up there her dad jerks the door open and tells me to come in. He starts grilling us about where we've been, how I met her and all that. Then she excuses herself and goes to the bathroom. So here I am sitting with her dad, all sweaty and probably smelling like sex. He keeps asking me all these questions, and I finally got so uncomfortable, I told him "Tell her I have her number, I have to go now, but I will call her tomorrow." So he follows me to the door, and he says, "I want to thank you for being so nice to my daughter." I said, "What are you talking about? She's a nice girl, we had a great time, you don't need to thank me." Then he says, "No really, thank you. Most guys just leave her on the fence."

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I enjoy participating in celebrations. Christmas/Easter/Saint Patrick's day/4th of July/etc are equally as pointless, but they are still fun.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It's a good celebration for those in love, for others it's just a pointless exercise in cynical capitalism.

9. Zardozi Isvara.... . 1S Evil_Lau Registered Senior Member

Hallmark invented it Hence the term " hallmark Holiday." Just eat 2 preservative jelly filled chocolates and call me in the morning.

10. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

15ofthe19:

Allright, little boy. Ha-ha egg on the face, almost fell for the story but explain.

How does sitting a cripple on a fence help you fuck it? Anatomies don't line up.

Cynical single.

You...cyngle

Which day isn't a pointless money making scheme in a global, commericlized nightmare?

On just the drive here I was heckled by mortage, car, insurance, chocolate, fast food, jewlery, and clothes companies. Then by reality tv, sitcom, news, and cooking show promos.

And that's just 15 minutes.

You're simply the other half of the ritual- you know, the one-half of the market sitting at home all alone complaining about the other half yet still part of that market. *Caching.....*

11. smile_on_a_rainyday Registered Senior Member

i was reallllllllly cynical about valentines day this year because its the one day where couples seem to spring out of no where and swarm the place....and make you feel reallllllly depressed!

but it was actually a pretty cool day...espesh because it was sunny

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and everyone looked really happy...which was nice

but yeah all the card shops and tacky pressie places must make a ton out of exploiting the 'holiday' SO MUCH!

mel xxx

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I need a gf real bad

This bites

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Go outside, meet people.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My parents were a pretty dysfunctional family to live with. My mother screamed and bitched constantly about everything, and my father withdrew so he was only there physically. They put a bad vibe on every holiday celebration with the cycle of fighting and long awkward silences, the raving about everything not being right, the rants about how their siblings were such twits the last time we all got together for a holiday many years ago...

When I finally escaped to go to college I never went back. One of the things I discarded was holidays. I never celebrated Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, July 4th, or Easter. I didn't want to be a jerk so I attended office luncheons and things like that, if my friends invited me over I accepted and behaved like a mensch, but I never had decorations or special meals at home, just treated it like any other day off.

However, one holiday we never observed was Valentine's Day. Not something you would do among your own family, at least not in the 1950s before everything was quite as commercialized as it is now. When my wife and I got married we had some bad quarrels over our first Christmas. How ironic, the man who was raised as a third generation atheist and the woman who was raised Jewish for many years, it just illustrates the fact that Christmas in America is a purely secular holiday.

But our first Valentine's Day together... I came home from work and found that she had taken the afternoon off and created a lovely celebration. One of her legendary home-cooked meals, an intricate cake to die for (my sweet tooth is the size of a mastodon tusk), candles, our favorite tunes playing (we met because of our mutual love for David Bowie). She even tied little red bows on the cats. (No, we didn't have dogs yet.)

It was really sweet. Since I had no baggage about the day, I wasn't a dick and we had a wonderful time. It became our special day. For many years until I became a consultant, we took Valentine's Day off as a vacation day, went to a movie, flew kites on the beach, rode our motorcycle to San Diego or something like that. Or just sat home and decorated the dogs, they are a much more compliant species.

The past few years since 9/11 my career has been very difficult and I have been away from home for long stretches. I wasn't even home for Christmas this time.

I miss Christmas, I miss Thanksgiving (when you're married to the best cook in seven counties you get over your hangups about food-centered holidays pretty fast), I miss birthdays. But I really miss being with her on Valentine's Day. This is a very sad day this year.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Perhaps the very reason for Valentine's Day is BECAUSE couples don't really love each other .....so they need that one day out of the year to pretend that they do.

Baron Max

16. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I paid only $1.50 which all went to charity anyway.

I got two lollies and a handjob.

Not a bad trade off, really.

17. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

It's very one sided. the guy has to spend out the ass on flowers and chocolates and dinner and more flowers and the girl MIGHT give him some.

We need a holiday where men get to be treated like kings for nothing in return.

18. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

St. Baltar's Day!

19. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I believe Sweetest Day is the opposite of Valentines Day. Not sure though. Who celebrates that anyway?

20. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

I never even knew there was a sweetest day.

Bitches would probably get us a 99 cent CVS card and a case of beer and then take our money and go do some more shopping.

21. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I'm typically single on valentines day, sometimes I'm dumped a few weeks before to find out she wanted to try to get someone else to pay for a dinner for a change...

But that's why me and some friends (an almost split-even number of guys and gals) do an anti-valentines party. Of the two times we've done it, once I found an unknown guy curled up at the foot of my roomate's bed WHILE HE WAS IN IT, and the other time I woke up in a completely unfamiliar place that turned out to be a friend's bedroom. Holy shit we have a fun time...

If you're single, or "cyngle", celebrate it!

22. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

You could just celebrate yet another whack-ass X-ian "martyr" getting his bliddy 'ead lopped off !

Huzzah !!!

Payback for ruining another glorious pagan tradition...

http://allsaintsbrookline.org/celtic/saints/valentine.html
    Early church missionaries often encouraged participation in Christian festivals by incorporating elements of familiar pagan traditions. In pagan Rome, the Festival of Lupercus (known as Lupercia or Lupercalia) began on February 15, and February 14 was a holiday to celebrate Juno, the goddess of women and marriage. On February 14 the pagan tradition was for boys to draw the names of girls out of a jar, and this girl would then be their partner for the length of the festival. Other accounts say that a young man would draw the name of a young woman in a lottery and would then keep the woman as a sexual companion for an entire year. Pope Gelasius I was, understandably, less than thrilled with this custom. So he changed the lottery to have young men and women draw the names of saints whom they would then emulate for the year, and instead of Lupercus, the patron of the feast became Valentine.

23. infoterror Registered Senior Member

Valentine's Day is for useless lumps of people.

Rip the sacred flesh
    Sodomize the holy asshole
    Drink the red blood of the mother of earth
    Masturbation on the dead body of christ
    The king of Jews is dead
    and so are the lies
    Vomit on the host of Heaven
    Masturbate on the throne of God
    Break the seals of angels
    Drink the sweet blood of Christ
    Taste the flesh of the priest
    Sodomize holy nuns