Valve's STEAM is Stupid

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tristan, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

What the hell is the point... its a useless idea and the fact that its REQUIRED to play CS now is retarded.

Later
    T

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

It won't even register my fricken CD-Key....Ive played CS for like 4 years and now this crap... WHY THE HELL DID THEY DO THIS? Its not like they have a Ton of fantastic games... Im about ready to just stop playing CS all together

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Ain't this a Technology/Computers thread?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I have no idea what Tristan is talking about... But yeah, sure, Technology section!

8. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

"Computer Science & Culture" must include gaming i say.

this is the solution, CS sucks anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Star_One Registered Senior Member

where can i get steam from , and the size of download?

Thanks

The WON servers are dissapearing for some mods

10. yesemina Registered Senior Member

Tristan, that's weird. I had CS 1.5 and all I had to do to get Steam was download the upgrade, free of course, since I already had 1.5. It was really simple for me, had no problems with the CD Key or anything. The only problem is it takes up just an *amazing* amount of space on my computer - more than any other program does. But anyway, msg me if you're still having problems and maybe I can help you out.

11. yesemina Registered Senior Member

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The overall forum holds both Computers & Technology, this can mean anything from games, to hardware conflicts to something that flies using a new energy system etc.

13. Siddhartha Registered Senior Member

What's a STEAM?

14. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

From http://www.steampowered.com/

WHAT IS STEAM?

Steam is Valve's new way of getting games into your hands ASAP. Games like Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Counter-Strike Condition Zero are all being made available through Steam.

Steam games are automatically kept up-to-date with the latest content and revisions. Steam also includes an instant-message client which even works while you're in-game.

At its core, Steam is a distributed file system and shared set of technology components that can be implemented into any software application.

With Steam, developers are given integrated tools for direct-content publishing, flexible billing, ensured-version control, anti-cheating, anti-piracy, and more.

15. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

I have found that only one game/gaming interface is worse for bugs...Neverwinter Night:HOTU. I completely agree with STEAM being a pile of crap seeing as time after time it still manages to completely freeze my hardware router, thus requiring a router reset every time I go to play CS. HOTU is worse however. Every time I insert the HOTU CD is magically freezes my entire system up. After they released the 1.61 patch I have only managed to play the game once without using a No-CD crack. Whoever is the president of Atari has officially been pu on my "people who, if I ever see in person should be scared for their life" list.

16. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

the concept of STEAM is a great idea...but the developers behind it are idiots.

Why is the idea great-Easier to find friends, better interface, easier to change options. THe changes they make are notified quicker,unique way to interface all their games.

But Understandable they the developers sux-Downlaods are slow, the bugs aren't fixed as fast and the server updates are stupid.
    SO its not the concept of STEAM thats wrong with steam

17. Star_One Registered Senior Member

Yesemina,

Thanks for the links

18. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Yes, Steam is retarded. It doesn't do anything you need, and amazingly it takes 700 odd meg. WTF? And the implementation of this unnecessary bullshit is just terrible. And hell, have you tried downing an update? it has the odor of one of those ill-conceived marketing department inspirations. It is a nice idea, but nice ideas should be simple and "steam"lined.

19. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

They stole the idea from gamespy without thinking it through.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

why are people using this if it is so crap.

Why doesn't everybody just stick with CS 1.5?

You can't really improve the game beyond that version anyway.

21. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

The ATI video card I bought that has the promise of Half-Life 2 bundled has you install Steam with complimentary copies of CS, HL, and a few other games besides quick access to update news regarding Half Life 2. I can not see it as a permanent fixture on my computer but it seems to be working during this couple of months I've had it. I went through Half Life with it recently. I mainly waitin' on HL2, though, and not playing the other games or really using Steam otherwise. I did notice that it opened a window of spam the other day and if that continues or escalates, it will go bye bye.

22. shadow blade Registered Member

spurious monkey i totally agree with u.

Steam is retarded since u can only play the latest cs on it! plus sometimes it doesnt even let u play with valid cd-keys! (happened to me)

Its a stupid idea y couldnt they just upgrade it to 1.6 but still play it online the way u play cs 1.5 online??????

23. shadow blade Registered Member

y cant we jsut all go back to good old cs 1.5

the only new thing about 1.6 is a shield,1 new gun for each team and a knife? nothing amazing. Valve ur retarded

jsu go back too 1.5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.