Vegetarian yes or no?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by markl323, Jan 17, 2009.

1. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Yes that's true but the majority of protein and calories shouldn't just be from nuts, seeds, legumes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Well that’s too bad because I’m talking to you. You have an odious history of offering crackpot (and sometimes downright dangerous) medical advice in your 28,000+ posts. I consider most of what you post as trolling. So, I would advise you to be careful and reference your claims otherwise you will find yourself moderated.

What you wrote was not referenced. You simply put some text into a quotation box. So at the moment what you wrote still constitutes nothing more than your opinion. Please give me a reference(s). You’ve obviously copied that text from somewhere.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

find it yourself, Hercules_Rockfeller.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

* * * * NOTE FROM A MODERATOR * * * *

Draq, my man: That is not how science works and that is not how this forum works. If someone challenges you to provide evidence for an assertion, you are obliged to provide it. That is the scientific method in action.

This is not a graduate seminar so you don't have to hand in your own original research or even someone else's lab notes. But you do have to at least give us a reference that we can verify for ourselves. People misquote things out of context all the time. It isn't even nefarious, they just don't realize what they've done because of their own mindset.

So be a good chap and please provide the requested material, okay? It's the rules and we do our best to enforce the rules.

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't consider myself more idiotic than all of those vegetarians out there

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But to be fair, they make sure they get all their vitamins and minerals.
    I'm pretty sure an all meat diet is unhealthy.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Probably why carnivores eat the stomach content of the herbivores they have killed.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yup. Good one Orly

13. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

They make sure they get their vitamins because they have to - unlike the so-called meatatarians who get plenty of fat-soluble vitamins naturally. The only big worry for me is fibre which is probably not nearly enough in my diet as it would be in a vegetarians or an omnivorous diet. I sometimes take fibre supplements

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, I strongly urge you to do some research on all meat diets. It leads to malnutrition and eventually, if maintained, even death. I'm not kidding.
    Eskimo's have a so-called all meat diet but they eat every part of the animal (parts that you surely do not eat) as well as stomach content.
    Besides, you are not an Eskimo (assuming..).

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

A slight error there, Enmos.

ANY animal an Intuit eats (with the possible exception of a baleen whale) will have nothing but meat in it's stomach and gut.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What about reindeer ?

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, you're right - that IS another exception. And I'm uncertain about the number of them killed or about how MUCH volume there is in the stomach to be shared by a family or group of people. But it couldn't amount to much in comparision to the amount of meat.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That is not a universal behavior for all species in the order Carnivora. Dogs/wolves and other species of genus Canis do so, but they do it to get the bacterial culture. (That's why your dog will eat stool if you feed him cheap commercial kibble loaded with preservatives that kill the culture in his very short intestine.) Still, almost all Canis-clade carnivores (as opposed to Felis-clade) are scavengers as well as carnivores. Foxes, bears, raccoons, ferrets, etc., will happily eat fruits and maybe even a bit of the same disgusting detritus that dogs eat, and that's probably how they acquire some of their vitamins. (I don't know that much about the pinnipeds.)

Nonetheless we cannot generalize the biochemistry of carnivores to our species of primate. After all, by definition the tissue of a mammal contains all of the vitamins and minerals a mammal needs to survive, assuming you eat the organs, skin, etc. Lions and hyenas and otters and skunks may have all the right enzymes to extract them, and perhaps humans don't.

All cetaceans are carnivores, which is amazing considering that they descended from primitive hippopotamuses and therefore have been recently reclassified as artiodactyls--with the cattle, camels, giraffes, deer, sheep, pigs, etc., most of which are industrial-grade herbivores. Baleen whales eat krill, which are teeny-weeny shrimp.

BTW, it's Inuit. Intuit is a software company.

The Inuit are not pastoral nomads and do not herd reindeer. You're thinking of the cousins they left behind in the north of Eurasia like the Sami ("Lapps"). Nonetheless I would imagine that some of their tribes do hunt caribou, which are merely a different, undomesticated population of the same species living in North America.

In which case, the contents of the digestive tract of any artiodactyl will be full of partially-digested food. Digesting cellulose is an arduous process that requires the assistance of billions of bacteria with the specialized chemistry to break it down and convert it to protein (i.e., more bacteria). They have a two-chambered stomach that keeps the food churning. Cattle have a four-chambered stomach, and over and above that they regurgitate their food, chew it some more, and start over.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  19. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Anyway, this is slightly off-topic as I said I do not eat vegetables. I did not say that my diet consists soley of meat.

I still highly doubt that eating only meat will result in death in a healthy Eskimo even if he never ate the stomach contents of the animal. I think the many carnivores in the animal kingdom show that it is quite possible to live on meat.

20. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I really get a kick out of those who take B12 supplements because what it is telling them is that their body needs meat.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm ok, fair enough. So you do eat seeds, nuts and fruit ?

Well, you are not and Eskimo nor do you eat like an Eskimo. Also, you are not any other animal but a human. And you are not a carnivore either.

22. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

I do but probably not as much as I should either. I would say my diet consists of 75% meat

No, but the Eskimo's are Eskimo's and lions are carnivores and they seem to get on fine on a meat only diet. I just don't think it will cause death in a normal healthy individual. The body always finds a way to cope

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16441942