Very basic trigonometry question

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Lilalena, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

Hi guys this is just from p1 of my trig book, which I'm trying to relearn, but I'm already stumped.

Please help me to remember how this makes sense:

d= 16t^2
    where d is in feet and t is in seconds.

Because as I remember it,

d= r*t

So my question is in what circumstance can r ever equal t in order to make up t^2? Does this have to do with g (is it g?) being 10m/s^2 ?

The full text: When an object is dropped, the distance it travels depends upon the amount of time elpased since its release. For a given time t, the approx. dist d is given by the equation d = 16t^2, where d is in feet and t is in seconds. The solutions to the equation d=16t^2 can be written as ordered pairs (t,d), such as { (1,16), (2,64), (3,144) ...}. A set of ordered pairs of numbers is called a relation. The set of replacements for the first variable is called the domain of the relation....

Sorry this is so basic but im really blank.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tach Banned Banned

\(v=at\)
    \(d=vt\)

Therefore.....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tach Banned Banned

Nonsense, in her problem the initial speed \(v_0=0\), so \(u=0\).

8. Secret Registered Senior Member

But a=g=9.8~10=/=16, so if his question is really a free falling problem, how come you can get d=16t^2 but not d=10t^2?

9. Tach Banned Banned

The text of her problem gives \(d=16t^2\), so it is not free falling in the Earth gravitational field but in a stronger field.
    BTW, if it were Earth, then the equation is \(d=\frac{gt^2}{2}\), so, it cannot be d=10t^2.

10. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

\(d = 16 \, \textrm{feet} \, \left( \frac{ t }{1 \, \textrm{second}} \right)^2 \\ d = k t^2 , \quad \quad \quad k = 16 \, \textrm{feet} \cdot \textrm{seconds}^{\tiny -2}\)
    This describes a particular relationship between d and t. By including the units and not just the numbers, one can ensure the relationship has the same physical interpretation by anyone and time and distance aren't interpreted as hours and kilometers, respectively.

That is the equation for a constant rate of change of distance (speed). It only applies in the special case when the speed is constant. For falling objects, the speed gets faster as time passes. For example if an object falls distance D in the first second, it falls 3D in the next second, and 5D in the second after that for totals of D, 4D and 9D at the end of 1,2,and 3 seconds respectively. Here, on the surface of the Earth, D happens to be very close to 16 feet.

The relationship for constant acceleration, a, and some starting velocity, u, is \(d = u t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2\) So \(a = g = 10 \, \textrm{m} \cdot \textrm{s}^{\tiny -2} = 32.8084 \, \textrm{feet} \cdot \textrm{s}^{\tiny -2}\) is just about the same thing (to rounding) as saying \(\frac{1}{2} a = \frac{1}{2} g = 16 \, \textrm{feet} \cdot \textrm{s}^{\tiny -2} = 4.8768 \, \textrm{m} \cdot \textrm{s}^{\tiny -2} \) . Of course in this example \(u = 0\).

Thanks for this. Too many people cut out important parts of the context.

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

V=Final velocity, U=Initial velocity. Do you have a problem understanding what initial and final velocity are?

The equations I posted are 100% accurate, so if you are saying something is nonsense it isn't the equations I posted, it's some other nonsense of yours. That is unless you care to backup your claim that something I posted is nonsense?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  12. Tach Banned Banned

Not at all. You cut and paste a general set of formulas, in the case of the exercise \(u=0\).

13. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I didn't cut and paste anything. Some of those equations are well known, and some of those I worked out myself.

Edit, Maybe you fail to see why there is 4 of each?

14. Tach Banned Banned

Then how come you failed to notice that \(u=0\) in the simple exercise of the OP? Eh?

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I didn't fail to notice anything, I gave the equations that are accurate. Your ignorance of the difference between initial and final velocity is laughable, and is causing you to make unsound judgements about me. Get a clue!

16. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

...and when can I expect you to backup your claim that I posted nonsense?

17. Tach Banned Banned

You copied a long list of generic equations. You failed to notice that the exercise requires zero initial speed.

You claim that you "worked out" the equations by yourself. Your inability to do any math is well documented. OK, let's test that: how did you get \(d=vt-\frac{1}{2}at^2\). Let's see the steps, it is very simple math. Let's see if you can do it.

18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

No free lessons for you. If you claim I copied and pasted, then post the link where I got them, otherwise you're just talking crap, as usual!

19. Tach Banned Banned

You don't know how to derive, despite your claim.

20. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

...yet no link. The only thing the reader is to assume is that you are making unsubstantiated assertions, ie talking crap!

You like that "no free lessons" bit? I was actually laughing out loud!

21. Tach Banned Banned

You posted a JPEG, you are unable to do tex and you are unable to do math. Your inabilities are well documented.

22. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Still no link. Maybe if AN would make a presence he could verify, because I specifically asked him to check my work, about a year ago. I made the tex here and made a pic of the tex. So you're back to where you started, talking crap! It always comes back to you talking crap!

23. Tach Banned Banned

So, you should have no difficulty in "working out" \(d=vt-\frac{1}{2}at^2\). But you can't.
    Your inability is well documented.