Very low probability of 2 advanced societies at same time in near universe

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by lbiarge, Feb 24, 2013.

1. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Oh wow, I've never seen the wait calculation before but I've considered the same phenomenon regarding computer power. It's the same concept: given some large computational project requiring X cpu cycles and an annual growth rate of R in those cycles per second, there is a calculation as to whether or not you should wait for technology to improve before beginning your number crunching.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

In regards to the OP topic. I think it's a good thing that another advanced alien species probably isn't crowding us. If they were advanced enough to get here (to earth) we wouldn't stand any chance against them what ever they wanted to do with us or our planet. I wouldn't trust them to have our best interest at heart. If our positions were reversed and earth developed interstellar travel and we found a great new world, but with an emerging civilization. How do you think they would fair against us?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

i reckon that the only need for our planet would be to live here. if they have the capability to get here then they could obtain anything in materials they needed on the way. or locally in their own star system. so they wouldn't want earth for resources as i see it. even in our star system their are easier place to resupply without having a war.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If they wanted our planet they wouldn't have to start a war with us. They could easily kill us without the trouble of a war. The fact is, our world and it's biosphere might be a lot more rare and valued than we think. Our very ignorance of what's really available for life in our own galaxy could be our downfall in any meetings with advance alien life that may stumble across us in their travels. The next generation of super large telescopes may start giving us more answers about that subject.

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

If they wanted minerals as boris said they could mine easier targets if they where interested in our biology they would probably relocate us to save our (earths) biosphere if they simple don't want any competitors they would redirect a couple of asteroids

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they don't have a resource problem. I'm saying they might like our world as a place to live for themselves and relocating humans won't be on their list of things to do. Not very cost effective I'd say. Just getting their own kind here would be very expensive. Basically the more worlds you can put your species on the less likely that species will ever go extinct. Also, the only way they would blast our world with asteroids would be if they weren't oxygen breathers and didn't care about living here afterwards.

10. rodereve Registered Member

I think it's clear what would happen if another advanced society encountered us. We also have many species that have their own language and social hierarchy, we call them animals and put them in zoos so we can observe them. For the smaller organisms we step on them without a moments thought. For the most part we destroy their homes in favor of building our own, and we certainly don't live in harmony, if a lion came into your property you'd shoot it, or even a bug crawled onto your desk. I think the best luck we'd be considered as pets lol I think it'd be selfcentered to think they would consider us worth keeping around as equals, but then again its also selfish to think they'd conduct themselves as humans would have.