Video games that heal

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Medicine is looking toward the gaming industry, considering it as a new set of tools with therapeutic potential. Strong narrative structures, immersive role-play and comforting game dynamics are being brought to the attention of both researchers and doctors as valid treatments for a range of mental illnesses.
    The relationship between computer gaming and health is in its early stages, but researchers are uncovering the possibility that gamers suffering from mental illness could be helping to alleviate their symptoms before computer games become an officially recognised treatment.

http://thelongandshort.org/life-death/computer-games-that-heal-you

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Six of one half a dozen of the other. Video games will cause as many problems as they solve (IMO.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

And what do you base your opinion on?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Violent computer games, bad eyesight, global warming...

8. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

What do any of those things have to do with theraputic computer games?

9. Sylvester Registered Senior Member

I think video games have always had untapped potential, or really unrecognized, therapeutic potential. They can build confidence, perseverance, hand-eye coordination, and if you play online they can teach you about social interacting in real life. I like playing with real people and have learned that an actual person is much smarter and faster than AI can ever be, imop, because people learn and practice, they adapt better. I have made many friends playing online too. I also think it is important for people to learn and know the difference between fantasy and reality, which if a person lacks in that area they may come away with a better understanding through online gaming.

I am also aware that games like checkers, chess, card games, etc. can help older people, especially if they have no one to play with. For myself, when real life threw me curve balls I escaped through gaming and much better than self-medicating, which some may be prone to do. It took my mind off problems, and when I build my character, I ask myself "what kind of a person do I want to be?"

Plazma Inferno! likes this.
  10. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Sylvester and ajanta like this.
  11. Bells Staff Member

When my eldest broke his arm really badly and had to have surgery to have a metal plate inserted to hold his bone together, his surgeon told him to play computer games and on the xbox because it was good exercise for his fingers as they help promote his fingers moving (as much as they could at that point) and helped encourage blood flow to the area. And he took the doctor's advice at face value and boy did he play. But they were right. It forced him to keep his fingers moving and he had regained full movement in his fingers within a week of his surgery.

Of course, he cannot use that excuse now, since the arm has healed, but he tries.

I think video games can provide some benefit. But in moderation. And it depends on the individual. Not everyone is the same and not everyone will be able to heal properly or healthily by playing video games for extended periods of time. They are addictive, exceptionally addictive, and the wrong type of personality can easily get lost in them at the cost of everything else that should be going on in their lives.

Plazma Inferno! likes this.
  12. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Video gaming is entirely beneficial for cognitive functioning, says new study. Using psychological and game-playing data derived from more than 3,000 European kids between the ages of 6 and 11 years, a team of psychologists led by Viviane Kovess-Masfety from Paris Descartes University, reports that playing video games is associated with lots of positive cognitive and mental health outcomes. In fact, more video game play was generally associated with better outcomes.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/24/video-gaming-is-entirely-beneficial-for

Paper: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00127-016-1179-6