Violence in the USA

Discussion in 'Religion' started by timojin, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Missing comma.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

Ok guys I am going to say like Joseph the American indian I give up I fight no more I move my tribe to Canada.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Er ... ah ... no.

Leave Hinmatóowyalahtq̓it out of it; you aren't comparable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Violence has consistently gone down over the past few decades. Yeah, the homicide rate climbed in the 1970s and 1980s and peaked in 1991, but it's been in freefall since. It can't really be correlated with secularism, though, as that's been the norm in American society and politics. If anything, you can correlate the spike in violence with the rise of fundamentalist religiosity in the post-Counterculture era.
    Most likely, though, a lot of it is just that violence is being more consistently and more thoroughly reported and scrutinised than it has ever been before.

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Here we go with the "Religious Freedom" excuse for violence - child abuse in this case. "Whatever one sows, that will he also reap." Now what?

An Indiana woman charged with child abuse is citing the state’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act in her defense, arguing that her religious beliefs allow her to discipline her child as she sees fit, free from government interference.

The case shines an uncomfortable spotlight on the controversial law, which was signed last year by Donald Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R).

Kin Park Thaing, 30, is facing felony abuse and neglect charges for beating her 7-year-old son with a coat hanger on Feb. 3, according to documents filed by Thaing’s lawyer in late July and reported by the Indianapolis Star on Wednesday. Doctors found 36 bruises on the boy’s back, thigh and left arm, and a bruise on his cheek in the shape of a hanger hook.

Thaing said she needed to stop her son from engaging in dangerous behavior that would have harmed his 3-year-old sister. She allegedly hit both children and told them to pray for forgiveness.

“I was worried for my son’s salvation with God after he dies,” Thaing said, according to court documents. “I decided to punish my son to prevent him from hurting my daughter and to help him learn how to behave as God would want him to.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...d-abuse_us_57c724e7e4b0a22de093b67c?section=&

9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Faith in non-violence should be radical.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The clearest correlation is with exposure to lead in childhood - leaded gasoline, in particular.

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I do believe pacifism is a faith. It satisfies, and justifies God's omnipotence.