VitalOne's Fallacious Rants Against Atheism

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by VitalOne, Nov 3, 2007.

1. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

That is not enough, though.
    It needs to be taken into consideration whether a person (1) thinks that the thing in question is of a kind that can be known; (2) or whether they think it is a thing that cannot be known.

Note that thinking of something as a thing that can be known does not imply that one already knows it.

Re (1) - The attitude that people usually have towards things is that they can be known - even though they don't necessarily know them yet.
    E.g. When I buy a new pair of running shoes, I have the attitude that I will know whether they are good for running on asphalt or not; even though before I actually try them out on asphalt, I don't know whether they will be good for it or not - but I hold that I can find out.

Re (2) - In the example with the running shoes, holding the attitude that I cannot know whether they will be good on asphalt or not, would imply that while I run on asphalt, I cannot tell whether the shoes are good for it or not.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

i don't think there is

did i? or did you just not understand what i was saing before? I said:

things that are not in accordance with the laws of physics and with logic can't be considered true, no matter now hard you want it to be

and then i complemented that by saying that things which ARE in accordance witht he laws of physics are here to replace mysticism

i am adressing the fact that a person can believe whatever he wants, but we have very good logical explanations for a lot of stuff, and we're on our way to finding out a lot more. that in itself does not rule out the existence of a god, but it does rule out the necessity for one to exist

abiogenesis is not a failed hypothesis, where did you get that? it can and has been reproduced in lab experiments, read up on Miller-Urey. It is not as strongly studied and documented as evolution, but it goes way easier on my intellect than the other option

and stop saying case closed will you? it makes you sound like an idiot

natural selection explains the increasing complexity of genetic information very well

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

That would be very complex ...
    But in short - in order to either believe or disbelieve, one must hold a stance, a position, from which or in relation to which one can declare belief or disbelief. But without a stance at all, we can speak neither of belief nor of disbelief. But we can still be aware that concepts exist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. VitalOne Banned Banned

Hmm...do the existence of Martians have anything to do with the existence of God?

Maybe you're right, "If Martians don't exist, then God doesn't exist" (ROFL)

If you say it has nothing to do with the existence of God then you just fully admitted that you're argument is USELESS

You didn't explain anything, all you did was re-use the very same logical fallacy over and over again "I don't believe in X, do you? So I also don't believe in God" (even though the existence of X has absolutey NOTHING to do with the existence of God)

Because you deny all other evidence and even lied about searching for evidence

Why do you enjoy lying for? Anyone can go google or youtube it yourself and see that you'll find

ROFL!!!

You're right, "if FSM doesn't exist, then God doesn't exist"

ROFL, you can't understand simply logic...let me explain

The existence of something that has completely different attributes, properties, and characteristics from another thing HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER'S EXISTENCE WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?

If it's unverifiable, then yes, now you're using an argument from personal incredulity again "it sounds ridiculous, must be false"

Well what if I take a unverifiable theory, like the superstring theory and say "Well you know I don't believe in the geocentric theory, so I don't believe in the superstring theory"

This argument doesn't falsify the superstring theory

No you haven't all you've done is RE-STATE THE SAME LOGICAL FALLACY

"I see no reason to believe in FSM, Thor, Zeus, [whatever the hell you insert here], so I also see no reason to believe in God"

Thereby matching the EXACT PRECISE DEFINITION OF A NON-SEQUITUR

The problem with your argument is that it assumes that all those things listed have the same attributes, properties, characteristics, when in something knwon as "reality" they DO NOT

I said something that CANNOT be considered a "god of the gaps"

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  8. VitalOne Banned Banned

ROFL, obviously you have no knowledge of biology...yeah the Miller-Urey experiments show that amino acids can form, but amino acids are building blocks, its a shame that molecular machines, genetic information, RNA, etc...are completely different from amino acids

It's like someone saying "The material the Great Pyramids are made of arises naturally, therefore the Great Pyramids arised naturally, the design features of the Great Pyramids don't matter"

ROFL, natural selection explains EVOLUTION not ABIOGENESIS

Right now they are unable to show that the RNA and molecular machines arose naturally, they only blindly speculate that they do

9. VitalOne Banned Banned

Uhm, let me say this for the millionth time....

THE REASON THERE SHOULD NOT BE EVIDENCE PRESENT IS BECAUSE NOTHING CAN BE CONSIDERED EVIDENCE JUST LIKE HOW NOTHING CAN BE CURRENTLY BE CONSIDERED EVIDENCE FOR THE MANY-WORLDS INTERPRETATION OR ANY OTHER UNVERIFIABLE THEORY

10. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

To the Christians:

Shut up already! Get over the fact some people believe something different than you. Your no more or less "irrational" than anyone else.

To the Atheists:

Same thing goes! Let people believe what they want as long as it does not hurt you.

To everyone else:

Sit back and enjoy the show... and pass the popcorn.

11. VitalOne Banned Banned

You're not the coach, GTFO

12. VitalOne Banned Banned

Sure there is, theism gives people more hope, liked I talked to this atheist the other day and he told me that life was meaningless, you just live and die and that's it

Yeah, the problem is your great atheistic faith

13. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I can play that game... STFU.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Dude, don't get angry. It's not my fault that your so insecure with your own beliefs that you have to constantly persecute others to prove that your "right".

15. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Incorrect, caps do not help your case.

For instance: If this god came down once more, sat on a mountain and boomed orders at humanity, I'd say that was quite good evidence of his existence. The list goes on. Ultimately of course you could come up with alternatives to the evidence but this is true of even santa claus.

If, for instance, you saw some flying reindeer and a big jolly fat guy saying "ho ho ho", you could say that it wasn't real, but a figment of your imagination, or some prank set up by someone. Perhaps you're on one of those TV programmes where they get a laugh at your expense? There are always alternatives regardless to whether we're talking gods, santa claus, or even if life itself exists.

As such your argument is inherently pointless.

What it comes down to is the weight of the evidence. gods don't have any, much like leprechauns, fairies and so on..

Capiche?

16. VitalOne Banned Banned

Ok Einstein, let me re-state is in even a way you can understand...

There's no way to gather any evidence of God's existence...you can't gather an event (like the atheists' favorite, well if God came down)

There's no way to gather any evidence for the many-worlds interpretation either, but this doesn't indicate it's false, just unverifiable

Also God coming down wouldn't falsify atheism, according to Richard Dawkins there can be advanced extraterrestials who appear God-like to us because of advanced technology

17. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Like I mentioned on the other thread, the effectiveness of prayer can certainly be an adequate way of gathering evidence for the existence of a specific deity. If you prayed to jesus to return the leg you lost and lo and behold your leg grew back then that is decent evidence for the existence of the deity you prayed to.

However...

Like mentioned on my last post this is true of anything and everything - including life itself. We might really be in the matrix or merely exist in the dream state of a floating omnipotent cloud. Ultimately anything could be something else - which is why evidence is so important.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It's quite cut and dried, actually. You can sum it up thusly:

I will accept your claims for the existence of your god, as long as you can demonstrate those claims. If you are unable to demonstrate your claims for your gods existence, I have no reason to accept them.

Simple really.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm still not following why you think this would support Vital's claim. An agnostic is absolutely in a position to either believe or not believe in God.

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Can we keep "evidence of God" in another thread? This one was made specifically to discuss whether or not the idea of a weak atheist/agnostic atheist is valid.

21. VitalOne Banned Banned

What do you mean by my claims?

Ok so you'll only accept evidence of prayer working and God coming down, other empirical evidence like evidence for design is meaningless (you know evidence you can gather), right?

There's massive amounts of evidence of design (the only evidence you can gather for a creator), yet atheists reject and deny it, then pretend there's no evidence

22. VitalOne Banned Banned

No agnostics NEITHER believe nor disbelieve by believing the existence is unknown

23. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

You do realize that you're in a discussion forum right?