wait for it.. wait for it.. OH DAMN

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by sifreak21, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Yes lets! Because the Brits police dont carry firearms, and their crime rate and prisoner count is much lower than the Untied States

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

No. I believe that Cowboy, Norsefire, and You all pretty much summarized it. And there was no disagreement about what happened. Only a disagreement on if it was right.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Rubbish. The crime rate in England, taken proportionally, is much worse than the crime rate in the United States.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

8. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

You are misinterpreting the situation: She is asked to take her shoes off, you have obviously not been arrested before. It is asked by police in order to prevent suicide attempts. She is throwing them, that's how the police attacks her.

Again, what the police was doing wrong on many bases in your example.

However, what you are doing is also wrong: We have started this thread to analyse an incident and you are trying to get a general policy out of this. But moreover, you brand anyone who tries to understand the situation as if they were categorically "the police lovers". No, someone might dislike the police in general, but still can evaluate the case submitted in OP within its specific context.

9. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

First, words in my mouth is not okay. I never used the words "police lovers."

Second, she didnt throw them

10. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

No, I used, it's my interpretation depending upon your attempts...

Pause the video at 7th second: Yes she didn't throw it, she just sent it towards the police. Everything is interpretation, isn't it?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

What the fuck are people thinking trying to stop an arrest by physical force? Cops love to have the opportunity to beat someone. They live for it. I would have popped her in the solar plexus though, a face shot only makes people madder. I am upset with this incident, as it shows the cop woefully unprepared to fight even an average sized woman. This kind of incompetence cannot be tolerated. A gun or a taser would be way overkill, maybe a little nightstick would have been good, to the knees or elbows.

12. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

13. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Apparently the University built a multimillion dollar bridge and asked the police to ticket students for not using it. He was going to issue her a ticket, when the girl grabbed him from behind and the one in the front shoved him so he punched her. I wouldn't have handled the situation like that. The University has a Student code and she was in violation of it. I'd have let her know that she could possibly be expelled for her behavior. If she walked away, I'd have taken the details of the students standing there and let them know that they will be spoken to by the University in due course. I'd have had the girl threatened with expulsion for a year.

I think the girls were just testing the boundaries as all kids their age do. Unfortunately there's many more shit role models over good ones today. A person better prepared wouldn't have allowed a simple jay-walking incident to escalate to the degree it did. Even a simple picture could have be compared with the University data base and the girl taken care of later. Even the threat of expulsion will put most people right back on track. Especially when their dad finds out. Then he'll crack open the kick arse as need sees fit.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think it was a campus cop, it was a real one.

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I'd need to know more about what happened before making a final judgement, but based solely on that video clip I'd say the cops waaaaaay overreacted.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

AFAIK it was a real police office, however, apparently the police were asked by the University to ticket students for jaywalking when they should have been using the footbridge the Uni had specially built. I'm sure if the Uni coughed up millions of $$ there was a good reason for the bridge being built. The Uni probably should have planted a thicket along the old route.

Kids at that age should test their boundaries. However, as we do live in a society, if a police officer asks you to come over, you don't tell him/her to f-off. The reason why is because obviously if you get away with it, then someone else thinks they can get away with it and soon enough, we have exactly what happened to these kids.

17. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Great. Just freakin' great. I am going to be seeing this in the papers for days now.

I can't figure out from the video where this actually took place...I bet it was Ranier...

Hahahahaaaaa! Just read the article and it was down on Ranier. I know my city. Sad that it was that easy to call.

I have to say several things now. I think that it was probably excessive, but Seattle has had sooo many issues with cop-killings lately that cops are on guard for sure. They don't know who has a gun or a knife or what not. Plus, Ranier is a sketchy area that has crime issues CONSTANTLY. He was being attacked, trying to control two struggling ppl...he felt the need to lay one out so he could handle the situation. It looks bad, of course, because he's a white cop punching a black girl. Race is going to obviously be dragged into this. *Sigh*.

18. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

But you have to understand that race has a lot to do with it

19. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Does it?? Says who? Would this have had the same effect if the cop had punched a white man, a white woman, what about a black man? Does gender have anything to do with it?

My personal opinion is that the cop REACTED...obviously not the best thing when you are a cop (we hope they aren't reactive but proactive) but it's human. If someone comes at you and attacks you, you punch them. I think he made a mistake in reacting and not taking proper control of the situation, but I don't think he was thinking racist thoughts at the time he hit her.

20. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

But she wasnt even attacking. She attempted to break up her friend and the cop who was beating her

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That still kind of constitutes attacking. In the eyes of the law, the officer isn't a second party, but the party of legal enforcement. Don't know what went on before the vid, though; important, I'd say.

22. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

the cop called them to stop, they didnt so he ran up behind her and grabed her arm and hair so she pushed him and he attacked her

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Weeeellll you kind of have to stop when the cop says.