Wall Street Protests Enter 11th Day

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Trippy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Seriously?
    Wall Street protests enter 11th day
    They've drawn inspiration from the Arab spring, there have been arrests, pepper spray incidents, and accusations of police brutality. They're occupying the New York Financial District, it's being driven by the social media, Mike Moore has been down there giving his support, and been interviewed by CNN, they've been going for 11 days...

And news of this is only just reaching the mainstream media (through CNN, probably because of Mike Moore's celebrity apperance). There isn't even a thread about it on Sciforums?

Maybe they need to take a leaf out of the British book, and start trashing the place eh?

Makes you wonder what happened to the whole 'Freedom of the Press' line that non-americans keep getting hit over the head with by Americans.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I thought it was Michael Moore.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yeah, you're right, I'm to used to thinking of Michaels as Mike or Mikey. My bad.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

8. Gustav Banned Banned

i still cannot see it in google's newsfeeds

we are civic minded unlike the rest of the world. y'know, beacon of freedom and hot babes

---------
    standoff right now
    hopefully somebody gets shot and all hell breaks loose

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Sarandon Effect, and Other Notes

This is one of those things that occurs in the American narrative.

In the sixties and seventies, liberalism was seen as a scourge; this was a descendant of McCarthyism.

Many liberals in recent times have been puzzled by the Tea Party phenomenon, in which what was formerly despised about liberals—i.e., revolutionary politics, calls for revolution, corrosive cynicism about the status quo—are now considered admirable, apparently since this time it comes from the right wing.

Meanwhile, liberalism has largely disappeared from the American public discourse. What the mainstream decries as liberal falls somewhere to the right, on the political spectrum, of 1970s Republicans.

For liberals, then, the Wall Street occupation offers two primary choices to the culture at large: apathy or condemnation.

With Susan Sarandon having joined the Zuccotti Park protest, I think apathy is the best liberals can hope for.

Notes:

International Business Times. "Susan Sarandon Joins Wall Street Protest". Entertainment & Stars. September 27, 2011. IBTimes.com. September 27, 2011. http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/220...michael-moore-capitalism-wealth-rich-poor.htm

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They should be protesting congress. Pretty much everything Wall Street does that people are opposed to is legal.

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Wall Street, and Congress... whats the difference?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The difference is the Wall Street reps are all in DC.

13. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Not sure what you've been watching, I knew about this the day it started in fact.

14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Well, bully for you.

15. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

damn right

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

If your in the US start watching the daily show with John Stewart if you want to see the real news, sadly.

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'm not American.
    I'm not in America.

If the protest hasn't achieved international coverage, and people in the US can't find information about it online, and the protestors themselves are commenting about having finally gotten some mainstream coverage...

...How effective do you reckon their statement has been?

18. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

But it has had coverage, I'm in the US and I did see it on the first day. I don't think there was enough of them initially for anyone to care much though. There's little protests for this and that all time honestly. Now it seems to be growing though. There were about a hundred at first I believe.

Also they were saying it was headed up by Anonymous whom many consider to be a cyber terrorist group so no wonder.

Also I wasn't speaking to you specifically about the daily show thing. Sorry.

19. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Funny, the media could not stop talking about the "Tea Party" when the protested against,,,,,,actually I never could figure out what they were protesting against but i guess that Is normal for a grass roots movement created by Fox and funded by the Koch brothers. Now the media won't talk about people protesting against Wall Street. Not surprising.

20. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

From http://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/aclu-lens-wall-street-protest-enters-second-week :
    In a particularly disturbing incident, a senior NYPD officer was caught on video shooting pepper spray into the faces of four women who were already confined by crowd-control netting.

According to a media report, the NYPD officers have been confronting and even arresting people engaged in photographing and filming police interactions with the demonstrators.

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

22. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I saw it on a Fox financial affiliate . They keep showing it and a lot of tea party people ( More libertarian ones support the effort and there is a funny type of agreement ). That is the thing you guys have a hard time I think . Libertarians are all mixed up with tea parties. They almost had the upper hand for awhile and took the tea party for there own . They still might before it is all over . If they kick the religious zealots out of the way. John Stossel is a fox contributor. So is Varney and company . I like that Charles guy . He is a little to conservative sometimes , but his business knowledge is over the top . One smart cookie . Harsh sometimes , but I love him anyway . He is an Adult about it all anyway. Good stock tips too. So yeah to funny Fox is showing it in a positive light so far , or more realistic staying neutral for now . Lets see if there future will demonize the movement .

Funny to funny Fox is showing it and giving good coverage . I bet There is more on Fox today too !! Life is to funny . You all got to be getting a laugh . I know I am

23. Gustav Banned Banned

It would be easy to dismiss the Occupy Wall Street protests as another disorganized and liberal whinefest … because that’s basically true. The demonstrations, taking place in New York and now other cities and other nations, have a classic lefty feel. But there’s more to this, if you dig deep enough. These protests do reflect the genuine economic fears that many Americans feel.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011...t-just-another-liberal-protest/#ixzz1ZkDF02wr

just look at the conflicting propositions
    a whinefest with a classic lefty feel reflecting genuine economic fears that many Americans feel.

if you protested, you are "mostly young, rarely bathe and chant a lot" and "hate capitalism and want to see it overturned."
    you "aren’t even American."
    if you are a teaparty member at the protest, you are "a few wayward Tea Partiers".
    if the arab spring analogy is used then "that make Obama equal to Egyptian dictator Mubarak?"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011